Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Course I have but I have come to learn that even the best youth prospects rarely make it, you have to be extremely special to make it e.g. Grealish
But the point is that its plausible to believe a player won't be any good without it seeming like it's an overly negative stance.

To be fair to SGC, if he's decided a youth player won't make it, he's probably seen the player play a fair bit.

Don't get me wrong, SGC makes some hilarious predictions sometimes (I've ribbed him for it several times) but at least he makes them havign seen that player play for us on numerous occasions.

I would imagine you, and most Villa fans (myself included) have barely seen Crespo play, if at all.

So I think the point SGC was trying to make was why don't we wait and see how the player plays for us, rather than writing him off before he's kicked a ball (competitively) in this country.

That's what I was going to say too. SGC has probably seen said youths over a few games ( at least more than 10 mins) and not writing off without even watching them at all. What a player costs sometimes doesn't equate to whether said player is shite or good or even fantastic. I'm sure players have been bought for peanuts then become brilliant and in some cases 'world class'. Granted not a huge number but there are some I'm sure. However I like to give a player some time (more than a few minutes) to decide if they are shite or not and crespo is a jack of all positions and master of none as far as I can see. Even Nigel Reo-Coker played in more than one position. Was good and bad in all the positions. God he even marked Ronaldo out the game once and people were going jizz happy! Edited by nazvfc

Lennon gives us good options. We could play two out and out wingers in Sinclair and Lennon either side of 1 or 2 forwards. Or we could play with 2 number 10 players in Grealish and Gil behind a striker.

Think we are building a squad with more than 1 string to its bow. We could play with different formations and not just a one dimensional team lump it to the big man up front. With Wilkins and Tim you'll see teams set up in different ways depending on the opposition. Given time this villa will be so far removed from the previous ones - something I'm am nervous and at the same time excited about. We will no longer be predictable any more in my opinion.

Lennon gives us good options. We could play two out and out wingers in Sinclair and Lennon either side of 1 or 2 forwards. Or we could play with 2 number 10 players in Grealish and Gil behind a striker.

We  already have these options without adding Lennon though and I don't believe Lennon is better than what we already have

I agree. that would give us some flexibility in our attacking setup that I think we'll need if we're not to depend solely on our strikers pulling a lot of load.

We already have these options without adding Lennon though and I don't believe Lennon is better than what we already have

Who do we have that could play right wing with his pace and dribbling skills?

We already have these options without adding Lennon though and I don't believe Lennon is better than what we already have

Lennon isnt better than nzog then?

I'd certainly be more comfortable with Lennon as an option over Zoggy and Bacuna on the wing. so I would see this signing, if it happens, as a relatively cheap improvement in that area (£5mil).

Definitely.

He also gives you one great attribute, something Gabby used to give us and does still every now and again. Relieving pressure.

When penned in we have a tendency to hit the ball long, which can work if you push out quickly but if you sit back, as we always do, the pressure never stops. Something we definitely suffer against the passing teams.

Lennon is different, give him the ball and he's off, now he rarely goes anywhere useful or has the ability to cross and pass for a great counter but he gives you an extra few seconds and defenders can be forced into a backward pass if they see him coming.

It's minor, but in my mind a great benefit to a fairly underwhelming player.

Who do we have that could play right wing with his pace and dribbling skills?

If we go 4-4-2 then I would prefer to see Sinclair & Grealish in the wide positions.

Butterfingers, doesn't that rather assume that it's a choice of one or the other though?

It does but I feel we are more than adequate in that area.

I'm not a fan of 4-4-2 which, if Lennon were to sign, would suggest is the formation we would go with. Lennon wouldn't come here to play 1 in 3 games or every time we went 4-4-2.

Just looking at the outlay thus far, we are about even. I don't consider it unreasonable for Randy to pump in another £15 mil if needed. I'd rather that go entirely on other areas-I'm quite happy with what we have directly behind the strikers.