Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Diego Rolan ? No thank you, I don't see any improvement over what we have/had last season. Strikers that look formidable in some European leagues, which this guy doesn't, get a rude awakening in the Prem - and there are numerous  strikers with as equally good and even better games to goals ratio. 

Of course some players progress and take up the challenge but I would still much rather go for Austin though I concede his name doesn't have the same exciting ring to it...We

We could make it a condition of the transfer that he changes his name from Charlie to Steve

Stone Cold Steve Austin or bionic man Steve Austin?

People still fretting over net spend?

Net spend is so misleading!

All this talk about net spend is just so gross

There's no profit in it....

Diego Rolan ? No thank you, I don't see any improvement over what we have/had last season. Strikers that look formidable in some European leagues, which this guy doesn't, get a rude awakening in the Prem - and there are numerous  strikers with as equally good and even better games to goals ratio. 

Of course some players progress and take up the challenge but I would still much rather go for Austin though I concede his name doesn't have the same exciting ring to it...We

We could make it a condition of the transfer that he changes his name from Charlie to Steve

Stone Cold Steve Austin or bionic man Steve Austin?

I couldnt make my mind up when I was writing it as both work

Net spend is misleading when it comes to whether a squad is better before or after a transfer window. But net spend does hint at a club's ambition. Which means we probably won't have a large one :)

Absolutely.

But people being worried that our net spend might be low this window or saying stuff like you need to spend a net of £20m to stay in the league doesn't make any sense.

If we spend a net of zero this window then we'll be absolutely fine (assuming Benteke goes and Sherwood carries on his impressive management). Yes it may show a lack of ambition by the club. But in terms of the current season it's nothing to worry about.

Yep I agree it doesn't make sense taken in isolation.  But if you widen the discussion to take in other seasons, if you were to consistently spend less than that then you would eventually find yourself struggling or worse.  You can't constantly spend less than that and expect to be fine in this league.  We are in danger of seeing it as the norm.  Whereas even sides like West Ham and Stoke will have the odd window where they'll splurge on a couple of 8 figure players and then have a few quiet windows.

Just throwing this out there but what about Leroy Fer? I know his last 2 moves haven't gone too well in terms of his choice of clubs but he gets goals from midfield and is ranked in the top best 30 players in the league for last season according to whoscored

Just throwing this out there but what about Leroy Fer? I know his last 2 moves haven't gone too well in terms of his choice of clubs but he gets goals from midfield and is ranked in the top best 30 players in the league for last season according to whoscored

Wouldn't mind Fer at all - I think he's a good player.

Our priority absolutely has to be finding a striker, though.

Edited by bobzy

We are well on our way to being left behind in this League. West Ham, Palace, Southampton, Stoke, all better than us now. Christ maybe even Bournemouth will finish ahead of us. Poor if we lose against them, even if it is our first game.

As for Sherwoods impressive management, me along with others we have seen some good, but are yet to see him as "impressive"?

• Like 1

We are well on our way to being left behind in this League. West Ham, Palace, Southampton, Stoke, all better than us now. Christ maybe even Bournemouth will finish ahead of us. Poor if we lose against them, even if it is our first game.

As for Sherwoods impressive management, me along with others we have seen some good, but are yet to see him as "impressive"?

Only on paper. Anything can happen when the season starts. A couple of wins & confidence rises, regardless on how many you bring in or spend.

Stop bloody catastrophising. TS did an impressive job when he took over in Feb, we were a complete and utter mess. There is still a lot of room for improvement but he needs to be given a chance and some support, he has earned it. 

• Like 3