The DIY thread

mjmooney

Any one got any experience of floor sanding? I've done a few with an orbital sander but never hired the push along things with the edgeing sander from a hire place. Got a job on next week and was just looking for a few pointers.

Mainly with a flexible filler compound. They wanted the gaps between the boards filled and a lot of my builder mates have suggested that's not a great idea as it will crack as the floor boards move and kind of sucking their teeth at the idea. Been chatting with the clients about things seen online and am happy to give things a go but as it's a bit of a niche thing I just wondered if anyone had any products they would recommend.

Anyway floor sanders of VT where are ya?

On 22/08/2024 at 17:52, Chindie said:

The floorboards in these alcoves don't go anywhere near the wall, theres massive gaps that are open to the joists etc beneath. As a result these are regularly where we see spiders coming from, and I'm ashamed to say I've occasionally woken up to slug trails on the carpet coming from the gaps.

:snip:

My idea is as follows.

Fill the gaps in the floorboards with expanding foam to combat the wildlife invaders.

On 22/08/2024 at 20:58, Chindie said:

The gaps are at the worst under where the cupboards are but they also extend around the chimney breast a bit, hence thinking the foam might be a good idea. 

I guess I can scribe the gap. It's not very big - either side is about 90cm wide and 35cm deep.

Not sure if it's a useful shout or not chindie but depending on the size of the cracks, if the joists are visible then perhaps do a search for 'floorboard gap filling slivers'. Usually strips cut from reclaimed wood - pine normally - from old floorboards and might be helpful to you if you haven't already started or got something else. Maybe not, but perhaps worth a search. If you can measure the depth of the existing floorboards then find some to fit, a bit of wood glue on either edge, knock them in with a rubber mallet or whatever and perhaps a chisel and maybe a bit of light sanding. Plenty of vids on youtube that describe the process better than me.

If there's a portion of the floorboards that would remain exposed after the cupboards and no carpet or whatever there then it wouldn't look all that out of place assuming the reclaimed timber would blend better with the existing floorboards than a new strip of wood cut to size.

If the gaps are massive massive then could you cut a bit off a reclaimed floorboard to fit? pushed back to the wall or under the skirting or whatever might be there and then fill the smaller gap with these. A quick search suggests they work on gaps around 4-6mm normally.

More faff than blandy's sheet of ply suggestion or whatever but just thought I'd mention

28 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Not sure if it's a useful shout or not chindie but depending on the size of the cracks, if the joists are visible then perhaps do a search for 'floorboard gap filling slivers'. Usually strips cut from reclaimed wood - pine normally - from old floorboards and might be helpful to you if you haven't already started or got something else. Maybe not, but perhaps worth a search. If you can measure the depth of the existing floorboards then find some to fit, a bit of wood glue on either edge, knock them in with a rubber mallet or whatever and perhaps a chisel and maybe a bit of light sanding. Plenty of vids on youtube that describe the process better than me.

If there's a portion of the floorboards that would remain exposed after the cupboards and no carpet or whatever there then it wouldn't look all that out of place assuming the reclaimed timber would blend better with the existing floorboards than a new strip of wood cut to size.

If the gaps are massive massive then could you cut a bit off a reclaimed floorboard to fit? pushed back to the wall or under the skirting or whatever might be there and then fill the smaller gap with these. A quick search suggests they work on gaps around 4-6mm normally.

More faff than blandy's sheet of ply suggestion or whatever but just thought I'd mention

Thanks.

The gaps are too big for slivers to work, they're 2, 3cms if not more and actual floorboards is way beyond me. 

I've decided to see if I can afford to pay someone else to do it, because I'll **** up and waste the money and piss myself off.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to break our loft hatch and need to replace it.

Wondering how difficult a job it is and if it's worth paying someone to do or doing myself?

Thinking of fitting a hatch with a built in ladder .

On 15/09/2024 at 14:44, Rds1983 said:

I managed to break our loft hatch and need to replace it.

Wondering how difficult a job it is and if it's worth paying someone to do or doing myself?

Thinking of fitting a hatch with a built in ladder .

Fold out stairs man, treat yourself.

Has anyone ever developed anything similar to a home studio, or any experience of soundproofing in the house? I used to do a bit of live streaming/radio work from my last place and want to get back into it, but the 'best' space I have is a spare bedroom that is between my bedroom (obviously not an issue, I won't be in there and if the missus is over, she should be listening anyway, it's high quality output, tune in woman) and my housemates bedroom (more of an issue, he pays rent and we move in very different time zones, there's going to be times when I want to turn the volume up, but don't want to wake him). 

I've no objection with using those soundproofing tiles (or peanut dust for that matter, if anyone gets that reference) but I've literally no idea how effective they are, how best to position the speakers for minimal disruption, whether or not I'd need to consider some kind of soundproofing for the floorboards, anything like that. I've got a modest budget, but happy to do a few bits at a time, the technology and everything else is already in place, so any money spent will be strictly on the room itself.

13 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Fold out stairs man, treat yourself.

Has anyone ever developed anything similar to a home studio, or any experience of soundproofing in the house? I used to do a bit of live streaming/radio work from my last place and want to get back into it, but the 'best' space I have is a spare bedroom that is between my bedroom (obviously not an issue, I won't be in there and if the missus is over, she should be listening anyway, it's high quality output, tune in woman) and my housemates bedroom (more of an issue, he pays rent and we move in very different time zones, there's going to be times when I want to turn the volume up, but don't want to wake him). 

I've no objection with using those soundproofing tiles (or peanut dust for that matter, if anyone gets that reference) but I've literally no idea how effective they are, how best to position the speakers for minimal disruption, whether or not I'd need to consider some kind of soundproofing for the floorboards, anything like that. I've got a modest budget, but happy to do a few bits at a time, the technology and everything else is already in place, so any money spent will be strictly on the room itself.

Headphones?

Actually soundproofing a house to any sort of semi decent level would be hard. If it’s a modern house you’d be looking at building a room within a room. Just an actual acoustic sealed door correctly installed would be serious money.

Soundproofing / acoustic insulation, beyond turning loud music into annoying muffled thuds, is an expensive combination of art, science, plasterboard, and fire batt.

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Headphones?

Actually soundproofing a house to any sort of semi decent level would be hard. If it’s a modern house you’d be looking at building a room within a room. Just an actual acoustic sealed door correctly installed would be serious money.

Soundproofing / acoustic insulation, beyond turning loud music into annoying muffled thuds, is an expensive combination of art, science, plasterboard, and fire batt.

I really can't stand using headphones if it's a live broadcast unless I'm mixing live, and even then it's minimal - Maybe I need to rethink my plans, turn that room into the office and the office into the studio....

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â