The DIY thread

mjmooney

Just now, bickster said:

There are TWO sheds in that picture. Are you Sid in disguise?

There's actually 3 if you look closely.

It was the previous owners, maybe THEY were Sid?!

Needless to say I'm getting rid of them all and replacing them with a small shed and a summerhouse :D 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
Just now, bickster said:

Thats a wendy house for adults?

Correct

aka somewhere for me to hide

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

On 19/08/2024 at 20:48, Milfner said:

Any plumbers on here that could possibly help?

Got the keys for my new house today, and wanted to give the house a clean before I moved in as it's been empty for about 6 months. Topped up the boiler (it clanged for a bit but stopped eventually), and then gave it a run out. Most of the radiators worked (1 needs bleeding but didn't have a key with me, and one leaked everywhere whilst remaining cold). The main issue was that the water through the taps wouldn't stay hot. I'd get maybe 5-10 seconds of hot water then it would go back to cold. It's a greenstar 28i junior combi mk iv condensing boiler. Any suggestions or do i need to get a plumber out? 

Depends on how much money you’ve got. I’m not a plumber either, but do my own plumbing and some boiler stuff in the house. Here’s the thing; to fix the leaking rad, you basically need to drain the system, which is easy. You also would be wise to drain the system to possibly fix the boiler and because the house has been empty for 6 months. So…. Number one, you need some radiator flushing juice and some rust inhibitor juice for after. You also need an olive(s), ptfe tape, adjustable spanner, fine wet and dry paper, junior hacksaw and mole grips and a hose. Do you have them?

you want to drain the system ( central heating) to replace the leaking radiator valve, or fix whatever part of the rad is leaking. There’s usually a drain point downstairs on one of the rads. Attach a hose and feed it to a drain or outside and then open all the bleed valves and wait till all the water is out. It’ll be filthy. When that’s done replace the leaking valve, close all the bleed valves, close the drain tap. Put the flushing liquid into the system, refill the system with water. Run the central heating with all the radiators on max for a few hours and then next day, drain it again. Then put the rust inhibitor in and refill. So that’s the system flushed and radiator leak fixed. But you’ve still got the hot water issue. There’s a few things could cause that. If it’s only the hot water and not the central heating that’s affected that will give a clue, so it might be/is definitely worth finding out. In my old boiler a similar problem was caused by an easily replaceable little flow sensor, which is basically a little turbine that senses how fast the water is flowing and adjusts the flames accordingly (when it works). Mine was sensing the initial flow of water, so the flames came on, but it wasn’t turning properly so the boiler thought “there’s hardly any flow, so I’ll turn the gas right down” and the water then went cold again. I think I posted about it in this thread maybe 4 or 5 years ago.

It’s fine DIYing the water side of central heating, but the gas side, get a qualified (gas safe) engineer to sort.

Let us know how you get on. It’s not complicated even though it might initially appear so.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

@Jimzk5 here it is

IMG-6991.jpg

As mentioned the complication is it’s a 256cm gap so not a regular size for a fence panel (or two)

Also that concrete post on the left is shared by another panel (the garden next to us is weird in that it comes to a point which converges there) but I think there’s enough room to get another panel in next to it

Can’t you just bodge a fence between your existing post and the neighbours post, and claim a new bit of land 🏆

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Can’t you just bodge a fence between your existing post and the neighbours post, and claim a new bit of land 🏆

It’s crossed my mind. I’m not sure they’ve even noticed the current situation 

13 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s a 256cm gap, so wider than a normal fence panel, but shorter than two… quoted me £400. Which seems a bit steep

Make one. Save 300 quid or so.

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

Make one. Save 300 quid or so.

You say that as if I have even the slightest clue what I'd be doing :D

How hard would it be to trim a fence panel.

And I mean for a layman like me? I reckon if I could do that I could do a bodge job on this fencing.

It'll be behind the new shed I put up so it doesn't have to look particularly great

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

@Jimzk5 here it is

IMG-6991.jpg

As mentioned the complication is it’s a 256cm gap so not a regular size for a fence panel (or two)

Also that concrete post on the left is shared by another panel (the garden next to us is weird in that it comes to a point which converges there) but I think there’s enough room to get another panel in next to it

You need to annex that triangle. Just claim Lebensraum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

How hard would it be to trim a fence panel.

And I mean for a layman like me? I reckon if I could do that I could do a bodge job on this fencing.

It'll be behind the new shed I put up so it doesn't have to look particularly great

I can’t imagine it’d be too difficult. It’s just a case of sawing a straight line in the one fence, and then attaching a wooden beam with screws either side of the overlap to the other ‘full size’ fence. Attaching it to the posts might be a trickier part, but even in our garden we’ve bodged a fence where the fence post seems to have leaned over years, so we just put a decent sized wooden baton down the gap so that it holds firmly in place.

With no carpentry experience at all, I’ve just built a 9x6x7 foot ‘Catio’ for our daft Siamese cats. Admittedly, it took me 2 months, but I’ve done it for at least 1/3 of what it would have cost to get a company to do it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Cheers. I'd be happy to accept  that that's what it costs. I've just only been able to get one quote so don't want to say yes if it turns out it's a rip off

It's difficult to get labourers for small jobs, they tend to go silent when they know they can't make a fortune. But just make sure they fella you found has decent reviews/photos etc. 

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

What is that No Man's Land in between the two fences? Is there a border guard stationed around?

That's next door's garden. It goes into a point. Over the taller fence is a park

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's next door's garden. It goes into a point. Over the taller fence is a park

I see. So annexe that and put a secret door in the back of the shed leading out to your Crimea, a brand new open-air masturbatorium.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

You say that as if I have even the slightest clue what I'd be doing :D

It was partly a call back to the food thread... 

But seriously, a fence panel is made up of some lengths of wood nailed together.

You've measured the width, you can do the same for the height and thickness, you can look at the internet at Jewson or B&Q and see what size timber they sell. You get a saw, some nails, some wood clue, some wood treatment like Ronseal, a brush and away you go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â