The DIY thread

mjmooney

• 2 weeks later...

Any plumbers on here that could possibly help?

Got the keys for my new house today, and wanted to give the house a clean before I moved in as it's been empty for about 6 months. Topped up the boiler (it clanged for a bit but stopped eventually), and then gave it a run out. Most of the radiators worked (1 needs bleeding but didn't have a key with me, and one leaked everywhere whilst remaining cold). The main issue was that the water through the taps wouldn't stay hot. I'd get maybe 5-10 seconds of hot water then it would go back to cold. It's a greenstar 28i junior combi mk iv condensing boiler. Any suggestions or do i need to get a plumber out? 

21 minutes ago, Milfner said:

Any plumbers on here that could possibly help?

Got the keys for my new house today, and wanted to give the house a clean before I moved in as it's been empty for about 6 months. Topped up the boiler (it clanged for a bit but stopped eventually), and then gave it a run out. Most of the radiators worked (1 needs bleeding but didn't have a key with me, and one leaked everywhere whilst remaining cold). The main issue was that the water through the taps wouldn't stay hot. I'd get maybe 5-10 seconds of hot water then it would go back to cold. It's a greenstar 28i junior combi mk iv condensing boiler. Any suggestions or do i need to get a plumber out? 

I’m not a plumber so take this with a pinch of of salt, but if the house has been empty for a while it could be a build up of sludge/limescale in the heat exchanger, meaning the water can’t pass through the plate quickly enough which will trip the overheat sensor. 

Might be worth checking the water pressure aswell as a low flow rate will activate the flow switch to prevent overheating. 

Edited by Colin79
  • Like 1

Anyone know anything about fences?

I recently knocked down the massive old shed in my garden and realised (too late) that the back of the shed formed part of the fence on that side of the garden. So now I’m left with a gap that I need to put a fence in. 

There is a concrete fence post on either side, but the issue is the gap is an odd size. It’s a 256cm gap, so wider than a normal fence panel, but shorter than two. 

I’ve only been able to get one guy to quote for it so far and he’s quoted me £400. Which seems a bit steep to me. 

I know @Jimzk5 used to be in the business before his health issues. Anyone else know anything about it and can say if that’s normal?

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I recently knocked down the massive old shed in my garden and realised (too late) that the back of the shed formed part of the fence on that side of the garden. So now I’m left with a gap that I need to put a fence in. 

There is a concrete fence post on either side, but the issue is the gap is an odd size. It’s a 256cm gap, so wider than a normal fence panel, but shorter than two. 

I’ve only been able to get one guy to quote for it so far and he’s quoted me £400. Which seems a bit steep to me. 

I know @Jimzk5 used to be in the business before his health issues. Anyone else know anything about it and can say if that’s normal?

What's he actually quoting for? 

At a guess...

2 fence panels.  What sort? 

1 concrete post to be concerned in? 

Do the concrete posts on either side have a slot that can be used to secure the panel?  

3 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

What's he actually quoting for? 

At a guess...

2 fence panels.  What sort? 

1 concrete post to be concerned in? 

Do the concrete posts on either side have a slot that can be used to secure the panel?  

Yeah they do. 

He’s quoting for two fence panels, 2 gravel boards, a fence post for the middle and labour. I think. 

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah they do. 

He’s quoting for two fence panels, 2 gravel boards, a fence post for the middle and labour. I think. 

That's about £120 - £170 in materials.  

I assume that's a concrete post for the middle. 

You would find it very hard to cut the gravel boards to size yourself.  Even if you got the measurements right they are a pain to cut without the right tools. 

Fence panels are easy to cut to size.  

Digging a hole for the post could be easy or could be a real pig.  

It seems a little steep to me but it doesn't seem a rip off price. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

For £400 you could get a massive new shed. Job done 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That's a ridiculous price mate for a concrete post and 2 fence panels, send me some pics and I'll have a look cus if the fence posts are in line it's easier to just put some cls timber rails cut to size between the existing posts and nail some feather edge on top them 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

That's a ridiculous price mate for a concrete post and 2 fence panels, send me some pics and I'll have a look cus if the fence posts are in line it's easier to just put some cls timber rails cut to size between the existing posts and nail some feather edge on top them 

Nice one mate! I'll stick the pics on here shortly

10 hours ago, Rob182 said:

For £400 you could get a massive new shed. Job done 

I know this was a joke, but you really couldn't!

That **** shed has been a financial drain. Cost me £150 to get the electrics disconnected from it so I could knock it down (the electrician did a couple of other things for me to be fair). Then £350 for the skip to put the old destoryed one in (that was still too small so I needed 5 trips to the tip as well)

Now potentially £400 for the fence.

That's £900 just to get rid of the old shed, before I've even thought about a new one :D

Next the old one wasn't on a proper concrete base, so I'll have to spend another couple of hundred putting a proper base down.
Then I might actually be able to buy a shed

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I recently knocked down the massive old shed in my garden

You realise there's someone on here that collects sheds?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Even he wouldn't have wanted this piece of shit

• Like 1

@Jimzk5 here it is

IMG-6991.jpg

As mentioned the complication is it’s a 256cm gap so not a regular size for a fence panel (or two)

Also that concrete post on the left is shared by another panel (the garden next to us is weird in that it comes to a point which converges there) but I think there’s enough room to get another panel in next to it

51 minutes ago, bickster said:

49 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Even he wouldn't have wanted this piece of shit

Look at the state of it

352-BEE5-F-62-D3-41-EA-8-A40-A343412-C43

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

@Jimzk5 here it is

IMG-6991.jpg

As mentioned the complication is it’s a 256cm gap so not a regular size for a fence panel (or two)

Also that concrete post on the left is shared by another panel (the garden next to us is weird in that it comes to a point which converges there) but I think there’s enough room to get another panel in next to it

£400 doesn't seem that expensive for this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

£400 doesn't seem that expensive for this.

Cheers. I'd be happy to accept  that that's what it costs. I've just only been able to get one quote so don't want to say yes if it turns out it's a rip off

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â