The DIY thread

mjmooney

@KenjiOgiwara @chrisp65 

Cheers chaps. 

It’s a regular bath, nothing fancy like a stand-alone or anything like that. The one side has the panel whilst the others will be against the wall so won’t be seen... just don’t know whether to work around the legs of the bath and tile or just leave it... changing because we moved into this place a few weeks ago

Edited by Tayls
Typos

So, if it’s a snug fit to three sides, just tile up to the one side.

If it’s a snug fit to two sides, and a bit of a gap to the wall down the one narrow end, consider boxing it in to make one more little cubby hole cupboard to hide the domestics out of site.

In our dining room we have a chandelier-type light fitting. Noticed this morning that the load-bearing plastic widget had broken, and it was hanging by the live and neutral power wires. Having worked out a way to jury-rig a fix, I was up a ladder, cursing the fiddly nature of the work, when I put one foot on the table. The leg of which collapsed, sending table, its contents (plates, water-filled vase of flowers, et al), ladder, and me, to the floor. So I now had to deploy carpentry, as well as electrician skills. Bad language was uttered. 

All fixed now, and self rewarded with alcohol. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Won't that damage them? All those SFA platters?

I have previously considered doing something like this with a clear resin over the top.

Not with these actual CD’s obviously, but as a worktop or a table or a turntable idea it could be quite interesting.

(I already had the photo, I haven’t just run off and composed that)

49812162178_975bb66a8d.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

In our dining room we have a chandelier-type light fitting. Noticed this morning that the load-bearing plastic widget had broken, and it was hanging by the live and neutral power wires. Having worked out a way to jury-rig a fix, I was up a ladder, cursing the fiddly nature of the work, when I put one foot on the table. The leg of which collapsed, sending table, its contents (plates, water-filled vase of flowers, et al), ladder, and me, to the floor. So I now had to deploy carpentry, as well as electrician skills. Bad language was uttered. 

All fixed now, and self rewarded with alcohol. 

I did similar 2 years back, mistook one of those Ikea coffee tables for a decent standing surface.

Broke my fall with my face. My jaw is still out of alignment and I’ve had a tooth removed rather than reset the jaw, which now clicks if I do a big yawn.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

So, if it’s a snug fit to three sides, just tile up to the one side.

If it’s a snug fit to two sides, and a bit of a gap to the wall down the one narrow end, consider boxing it in to make one more little cubby hole cupboard to hide the domestics out of site.

The bath is already in situ, so we will keep as is - it’s fixed on three sides right up against the walls. I think I will just go a couple of inches past the panel and leave the rest. 

What about the toilet? Is that best to be tiled round or tile first and then put the toilet back on top? 

The floor we are replacing is a horrible vinyl thing which I am really looking forward to ripping up! 

If it looks like the toilet will unscrew without buggering up the screws or the floorboards, and raising it the height of the tiles doesn’t bugger up where the plumbing sits, then its a better looking finish if the tiles go under and it sits on top of them.

Otherwise, depending on loo shape you could have quite a thick grouting line around the loo which can get discoloured quite quickly.

But not much in it either way.

54 minutes ago, Tayls said:

@chrisp65 - are you in a trade? 

If not, any builders here? Could do with some advice on a potential project! 

No, not a trade.

Work in a drawing office, so I get to go to site and flounce around pointing at stuff. So I’ve got an understanding of how a building gets put together. Though I don’t do domestic / housing. Coupled with years of needing to do home DIY due to budget!

Im pretty crap at DIY but I’ve done a little coffee table out of two pallets. Really basic stuff.

I’m looking at a free standing bar for the patio, has anyone done this before or seen any decent ideas for pallet furniture? 

ive got three really solid pallets, so not something for the fire pit just yet. 

• 4 months later...

I'm in the process of buying my first home,  the sale isn't completed yet so I can't offer much info about the type of paint that's been used, but a section of the front of the house has been painted (pic below). 

I'm really not keen on it and one of my first jobs will be to try and remove it. Has anyone had to do this before and got any tips on how to go about it? 

rsz_screenshot_20201225_130820_combravebrowser.jpg

Paint Stripper specifically for brickwork is your best bet.  But there are 2 potential problems.  

It will work too well and the area will look far lighter than the rest of the house.  

It will not work too well and you will still have remnants of the paint.  

You should be ok but be prepared for it to be a bigger job than you first imagine.  

4 hours ago, av1 said:

I'm in the process of buying my first home,  the sale isn't completed yet so I can't offer much info about the type of paint that's been used, but a section of the front of the house has been painted (pic below). 

I'm really not keen on it and one of my first jobs will be to try and remove it. Has anyone had to do this before and got any tips on how to go about it? 

rsz_screenshot_20201225_130820_combravebrowser.jpg

As Mandy says above paint stripper is your bets bet but it might not come out as expected. This site talks about it in a bit more detail 

https://www.texturedcoatingremoval.co.uk/paint-removal-brick-cleaning-and-pointing-leeds/

"you just don’t know until you have a go with a few different types of paint remover. Some paint finishes can be hard to remove with paint strippers and do not respond to the paint removers at all. Grit or sandblasting can be too abrasive on some brick and stonework and can cause damage"

You could chance it and try a few different strippers (Kenneth) and see what happens or you could just paint over it in a colour you do like. You might want to also do the rest of the front of the house if you think that looks better. 

28 minutes ago, a m ole said:

looks quite nice to be honest. why are there two doors though?

The door on left leads into the hallway, with the living room to the left. The door on the right leads straight into the kitchen.

Annoying, though I'm not sure if its obvious from the screen shot, in the middle of that wall where the basket is hanging used to be a small window which they have bricked up aswell. God knows why.  

57 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Paint Stripper specifically for brickwork is your best bet.  But there are 2 potential problems.  

It will work too well and the area will look far lighter than the rest of the house.  

It will not work too well and you will still have remnants of the paint.  

You should be ok but be prepared for it to be a bigger job than you first imagine.  

Thanks Mandy. Given the issues you mention, I wonder if my best bet would be getting a professional in?

7 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

As Mandy says above paint stripper is your bets bet but it might not come out as expected. This site talks about it in a bit more detail 

https://www.texturedcoatingremoval.co.uk/paint-removal-brick-cleaning-and-pointing-leeds/

"you just don’t know until you have a go with a few different types of paint remover. Some paint finishes can be hard to remove with paint strippers and do not respond to the paint removers at all. Grit or sandblasting can be too abrasive on some brick and stonework and can cause damage"

You could chance it and try a few different strippers (Kenneth) and see what happens or you could just paint over it in a colour you do like. You might want to also do the rest of the front of the house if you think that looks better. 

Thanks mate. It would seem that it's not as straightforward as I'd hoped. 

5 minutes ago, av1 said:

The door on left leads into the hallway, with the living room to the left. The door on the right leads straight into the kitchen.

Annoying, though I'm not sure if its obvious from the screen shot, in the middle of that wall where the basket is hanging used to be a small window which they have bricked up aswell. God knows why.  

I'd be tempted to knock one of the doors out and use that as an excuse to redo the brickwork. Unless you like having two doors. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

I'd be tempted to knock one of the doors out and use that as an excuse to redo the brickwork. Unless you like having two doors. 

That isn't a bad call at all pal. 

Â