Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

For anyone interested in their radon exposure the UK radon map is really good…

YOU’RE ALL GOING TO FRY!

Every building contains radon but the levels are usually low. The chances of a higher level depend on the type of ground. UK Health Security Agency has published a map showing where high levels are more likely.

The darker the colour the greater the chance of a higher level. The chance is less than one home in a hundred in the white areas and greater than one in three in the darkest areas.

14 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You are if you live in wales………

It gets really specific if you really zoom in.

We’ve had two buildings either side of a street and one needs full protection and the other is just fine.

You can get really caught out, because you can look at an area and think, yep we’re clear. But then if you zoom in you end up with one block of radon in a county that is otherwise radon free. And you can guarantee that one grid square of radon is bang on the building you’re working on!

10 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

NaturalbackgroundradiationEurope.gif

Not too bad in the UK

Weird to see the west of Ireland going higher up the scale rather than lower as it usually does in nearly all graphs, regardless of subject.

Sutton in the time of Shakespeare.

62d01d_45363e1e3a974aeba984a3cbf06ba32f_mv2.webp.020f1a7d82b5669abd19794e4a884787.webp

FOLIO Sutton Coldfield's large display panel was erected in the Gracechurch Centre over the weekend and will be on show until the end of April (if you're on Facebook there's a time-lapse of it's posting here). A slightly smaller version of the map is to be displayed in the library, while postcards, and limited edition prints and jigsaw are about to be released later this month (watch this space!). A more permanent display is also planned for the town.

https://www.johnshelley.com/post/sutton-coldfield-shakespeare-panorama-pt-2

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Always surprises people just how big Wales is.

This has been a meme on that interwebs thing for a couple of weeks. I'm not sure I understand the joke if I'm honest unless it is just the trolling aspect of catching people who react

28 minutes ago, bickster said:

This has been a meme on that interwebs thing for a couple of weeks. I'm not sure I understand the joke if I'm honest unless it is just the trolling aspect of catching people who react

I think it's because Wales is routinely used as a benchmark for how big countries are - "Tibet is n times the size of Wales", etc. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I think it's because Wales is routinely used as a benchmark for how big countries are - "Tibet is n times the size of Wales", etc. 

Nope, definitely not that, Wales isn't the origination of the meme, first time I've seen a Wales one tbh

It's filed in the same place as that I am George whatever meme that I really don't understand either

On 19/04/2022 at 10:25, chrisp65 said:

It gets really specific if you really zoom in.

We’ve had two buildings either side of a street and one needs full protection and the other is just fine.

You can get really caught out, because you can look at an area and think, yep we’re clear. But then if you zoom in you end up with one block of radon in a county that is otherwise radon free. And you can guarantee that one grid square of radon is bang on the building you’re working on!

Geologist/ES here.Radon map makers are just lazy and can't be bothered to go to the same level of detail as the bgs so approximate to 1km grid squares. Or cautious....nah. 

The old igneous rocks of Wales, Cornwall and Scotters generate much higher radon levels in general.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

Geologist/ES here.Radon map makers are just lazy and can't be bothered to go to the same level of detail as the bgs so approximate to 1km grid squares. Or cautious....nah. 

The old igneous rocks of Wales, Cornwall and Scotters generate much higher radon levels in general.

And depending on where in the country you go for your building control sign off, you’ll either get a BCO that’s happy to sign off based on that map, or one that’s a bit more clued up and if there’s a whiff of radon within the county, then they want a survey done.

• Like 1

I’ve seen those inlay maps for Wales, Ireland, and Northern Ireland so far. I’m gonna guess the reason I’ve seen that one first / the most is to do with my media bubble.

Have to be honest, I hadn’t tried to rationalise it in anyway, I just thought it was silly/funny.

But yes, I’m always on the look out for the Wales unit of measurement. There was one on R4 a couple of weeks ago that was so convoluted it was a real stand out. Something along the lines of the amount of forest in Montana was 3.2 times the size of Wales but deciduous only made up an area 0.75 times the size of Wales. I was driving but felt compelled to give the reporter a clap for the sheer idiocy of his scale illustration.

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Have to be honest, I hadn’t tried to rationalise it in anyway, I just thought it was silly/funny.

I wasn't suggesting you should have done. I was just wondering if anyone knew what the joke really was and how it started

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

And depending on where in the country you go for your building control sign off, you’ll either get a BCO that’s happy to sign off based on that map, or one that’s a bit more clued up and if there’s a whiff of radon within the county, then they want a survey done.

A site specific Radon report from Groundsure or Envirocheck can sometimes get you out of a jam.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â