Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

On 13/02/2021 at 15:50, HanoiVillan said:

It's only when you look carefully at this you realise what a complete mess it is:

World_Time_Zones_Map.png

My absolute favourite part is the bit of Greenland that is three hours ahead of the rest of Greenland.

Samoa was on the right of the date line when I went they moved it a few years later to make it easier to deal with Australia ( I think )

On 15/02/2021 at 07:31, Mark Albrighton said:

Sort of map related. For anyone who wants to switch from WM to Tonga FM with relative ease.

They have an iOS app if anyone is interested ( probably other inferior phone app versions are also available)

Edited by tonyh29
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Streets containing known brothels.

Victorian values, eh.

Of course, as I say, my guess was based on the disease comment and absolutely not on any knowledge I have on modern day brothels operating in that area.

Episode 17 Laughing GIF by The Simpsons

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Streets containing known brothels.

Victorian values, eh.

The map was interesting to me regardless of the red lines, Is there a bigger version that has wider coverage and is zoomable?

There's a big chunk of those streets that no longer exist the hospital and the University appear to have eaten them up

1 hour ago, bickster said:

The map was interesting to me regardless of the red lines, Is there a bigger version that has wider coverage and is zoomable?

There's a big chunk of those streets that no longer exist the hospital and the University appear to have eaten them up

Got it from here, yes this is the sort of content I follow on twitter...

The linked post after it is an article on ‘little hell’.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Got it from here, yes this is the sort of content I follow on twitter...

The linked post after it is an article on ‘little hell’.

There are parts of that area where ladies of the night still ply their trade to this day. And the other main area for that kind of behaviour is still only a mile up the road

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

There are parts of that area where ladies of the night still ply their trade to this day. And the other main area for that kind of behaviour is still only a mile up the road

It’s something I’ve shown tremendous naivety on in the past.

I mentioned to a friend that’s a local historian that it was odd that our town of 55,000 people, with a dock, didn’t have any sort of red light street or knocking shop.

Turns out we did!

Turns out I’m a posh boy from the soft side of town.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s something I’ve shown tremendous naivety on in the past.

I mentioned to a friend that’s a local historian that it was odd that our town of 55,000 people, with a dock, didn’t have any sort of red light street or knocking shop.

Turns out we did!

Turns out I’m a posh boy from the soft side of town.

I've been familiar with the Irish folk song "The Holy Ground" since I was a kid. I always assumed it was a sentimental reference to legends of St Patrick and Celtic mysticism. It was only in recent weeks that I've found out that 'the holy ground' was a notorious red light district in Cork. 

Just been looking at google maps, as you do and found a mini UK in Norway.  Maybe we could gather one of each region's accents and put them in place for some ROFLs

I think the island is about 2.5km long and 750m wide.

New UK.jpg

• Like 3

Â