Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

It's a map of internet connected devices.

Which would include servers, and also mean that someone with multiple PCs, a smartphone (or multiple smartphones for that matter), a tablet, a smart TV, a smart refrigerator, etc. would be counted many times over.

It's really a map of (some) routers. If you have a couple of laptops and a smartphone connected to your home WiFi, they can't be pinged, only your router can. Plus many will be configured to not respond to pings from external addresses.

Edited by Davkaus

It's a map of internet connected devices.

Which would include servers, and also mean that someone with multiple PCs, a smartphone (or multiple smartphones for that matter), a tablet, a smart TV, a smart refrigerator, etc. would be counted many times over.

It's really a map of (some) routers. If you have a couple of laptops and a smartphone connected to your home WiFi, they can't be pinged, only your router can. Plus many will be configured to not respond to pings from external addresses.

OTOH, you have universities in the US which have /8s and /16s (where every device on their WiFi networks is assigned a globally routable IP. Bring a smartphone onto the UMass Amherst WiFi network, and once you're authenticated you have an unfirewalled globally routable connection to the Internet (back when it was a wired network in the dorms, I ran SMTP and web servers from my room).

Meanwhile most of China is NAT'd.

pearl_river_large.0.jpg

Edit: Quite incredible, isn't it? We're getting real-life Coruscants :)

Will it really be the death of Hong Kong though? Can't see it myself, not in the short term at least

shenzhen was the 1st economic zone which is why it was so prosperous, its described as china's silicon valley, im sure its where apple and the like 1st turned up in china, guangzhou along with shanghai are the biggest 2 hence why that is so prosperous, guangzhou is canton, its a huge place, historically significant, twice the population of hong kong, been pushed for years, they built the canton tower there and hosted the asia games a few years back

but the chinese government knows that this is because of hong kong, the region is now a free trade zone

the area is also way ahead of the rest of china in terms of workers rights (not that that says much...) they have the highest minimum wage and people have stopped travelling resulting in labour shortage which just pushes the quality of their rights further, im almost 100% sure apple use a company called foxconn and they have one of the biggest factories in the world in shenzhen, 400k odd people, but as the economic zone expired and the wages went up foxconn funnily enough started to slip further in land chasing the tax benefits and cheaper wages of other economic zones (which is why people no longer travel so far)

Homicide maps.

Baltimore, population 622k

5409911f.jpg

Birmingham UK, population 1m

Bham_2013.jpg

Baltimore is a nice old place...my mate who lives in by all accounts a "better" part of Baltimore (if that exists) has come home to find police huddled around a dead body on his doorstep at one point and on another has seen somebody shot in the back of the head...t'riffic city

Homicide maps.

5409911f.jpg

Bham_2013.jpg

Nothing to do with gun laws, I'm sure.

Edit: I remember the one in the city centre - by Sainsburys in Martineau place wasn't it - the Big Issue seller?

Edited by NulliSecundus

Homicide maps.

5409911f.jpg

Bham_2013.jpg

Nothing to do with gun laws, I'm sure.

Edit: I remember the one in the city centre - by Sainsburys in Martineau place wasn't it - the Big Issue seller?

On the Baltimore map the red markers are gun murders.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â