Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

just looked it up, it is Utah, capital is Salt Lake City which is half the size of Wolverhampton, which sums it up nicely really, when comparing it with Bangladesh

Yeah, but compare the number of churches per capita. Or the number of divorces per capita. Or the number of teenage pregnancies per capita.

Actually, isn't it true that Utah (and Mormons in general) tend to fare pretty okay with regard to the markers in bold? Read it somewhere. Conservative Southern Baptists, sure, but not Mormons, IINM.

just looked it up, it is Utah, capital is Salt Lake City which is half the size of Wolverhampton, which sums it up nicely really, when comparing it with Bangladesh

Yeah, but compare the number of churches per capita. Or the number of divorces per capita. Or the number of teenage pregnancies per capita.

Actually, isn't it true that Utah (and Mormons in general) tend to fare pretty okay with regard to the markers in bold? Read it somewhere. Conservative Southern Baptists, sure, but not Mormons, IINM.

I don't know, I couldn't be bothered to look it up, which is why I phrased it like I did. I suppose Mormon's just get another wife/husband without bothering with the divorce. I don't understand how they'd avoid the pregnancies though; abstinence doesn't work. I only said teenage pregnancies - being married and pregnant would still make them teenagers :)

Well, I found 255 churches in Wolverhampton with phone numbers (don't know if they were direct lines to god though) listed. But of course, that presumes a church is a building, which it isn't.

Salt Lake City similarly lists 105 phone numbers, but I must admit, the names of the Utah churches sounded lots more fun.

So, Wolverhampton is bigger, and has more churches, but their names are a bit more mundane. The other factor of course would be the size of the church, I'd guess there are some with vast congregations and some that are struggling to remain viable.

I wonder if the heat noise and hype of Salt Lake City's reputation simply doesn't match up with fact. Alternatively, as mentioned above it might be a case of scale. Each of the 100 SLC churches may have regular congregations of 1,000 whereas Wolverhampton's churches could very easily have attendances in the 20's or 30's. Another possibility, Wolverhampton churches have some multiple name and phoneline scam going on. Like when you phone around tyre places for prices and get through to the same guy 3 times.

Either way, good to see lots of good people in both cities.

That GDP map is very interesting and it illustrates perfectly the disparities in wealth that exist in the good ole USA. Bangladesh is one of the poorest countries in the world, surprised to see a US state that matches. Which state is that?

It doesn't have a lot to do with personal wealth.  Utah is the 33rd most populous state, but the median household income is roughly $57,000 (13th).  They're 10th lowest in unemployment rate (5.7%), and have the 15th lowest % of population below the poverty line.

I'd guess it has more to do with the structure of their state economy/make up of local businesses and industry.

• 2 weeks later...

ZYnL8S7.jpg

Interesting map, though they should have tinkered with the colour bandings somewhat.  Deaths in the UK have virtually halved in the second map but they choose to use the same colour. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â