The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Would not oppose to Fat Sam if Sherwood cant turn it around. He hasnt really failed anywhere he has been.

The thing was last season I thought it was a player mentality thing so we invested in a brand new side but yet same occurances. Is the shirt too much pressure for these lads?

It never was mentality thing IMO. 

Sherwood got Benteke going towards the end of last season - thats why we won enough games to stay up.

btw people moaned that we played shit football under Lambert then want to change to a similar negative manager after about 20 games of trying to change it up. Funny thing if this happened at Newcastle a lot of people on here be saying they are a joke

Some people did.

Not me though. I've long stuck to my guns that I don't believe there is a right way to play football.

If we played the most boring hoofball on the planet but won the league I'd be ecstatic. 

The right way to play football is to win. I couldn't give much of a shit how we do it.

Spot on, the supposed purveyors of the beautiful game, Barcelona, bore me to tears. Good football is winning football.

Er dont Barcelona play winning football???,.... did Barcelona not win the treble last year with their front three scoring 122 goals. Hardly boring stuff

My point was that winning football doesn't always have to be pretty football.

• Like 1

btw, lol at people not liking the way Barcelona play.

I guess fast, attacking football is dull.  Maybe that's why we need Allardyce!

Assuming this is aimed at me given the "there's no right way to play comment", I LOVE the way Barcelona play. If I could have Villa play one way, it would be that.

But I'm not naive enough to think we can suddenly turn a switch and play like that.

Like I said before, we have no room for luxuries. We need to establish ourselves in the league as opposed to fighting for our lives every year before we can worry about being entertaining.

I would much rather see Villa winning games than entertaining the masses given our current position.

No, someone specifically said "Barcelona bore me to tears", which consequently got liked.  I find that incredible :D

Find it incredible as much as you like. Believe it or not people like different styles of football. I just don't find the way they play entertaining, I much prefer to watch Borussia Dortmund or Atletico Madrid.

Would not oppose to Fat Sam if Sherwood cant turn it around. He hasnt really failed anywhere he has been.

The thing was last season I thought it was a player mentality thing so we invested in a brand new side but yet same occurances. Is the shirt too much pressure for these lads?

Sherwood got Benteke going towards the end of last season - thats why we won enough games to stay up.

but we lost the last three games 6-1, 1-0 and then 4-0?? 

Is the shirt too much pressure for these lads?

No

Well evidnace suggests that losing mentality has started creeping back in, as we are still pants at home

I want Villa Park to be a fortress agin, its been like a play ground for a while now

That's nothing to do with the pressure of the shirt.

I can't imagine any of our players are weighed down by the pressure of playing for Aston Villa. They feel pressure I'm sure, but it's no greater for us than it would be for any other club.

This is why I keep saying defenders get judged on their mistakes rather than on what they do well.  You can be Barcelona, but if you've got a liability at the back you'll top every stat sheet except the one that matters.

However, what it DOES show is that we are not a million miles from being a good side and if we can plug that gap then we should be OK.

I think it's critical we beat Stoke and Swansea, I think it can be done however Tim has to get the selection right, no Lescott, 3 proper midfielders in midfield and no Sinclair

• Like 1

No

Well evidnace suggests that losing mentality has started creeping back in, as we are still pants at home

I want Villa Park to be a fortress agin, its been like a play ground for a while now

when was Villa Park a fortress last?? under Ron..........

Can anyone else see the way this is going?

If Tim's not careful this could all go tits up

->

Tim couldn't find a replacement for Guzan. His lack of dominating the box and his kicking will always cost us possesion and points. I think we do need a more complete Goalie - it's a shame because parts of Guzan's game are very very good.

RB - Hutton is an honest pro but not good enough without protection infront of him

- Bacuna - Good option as wing-back - would be interesting to see him with a back 3 (Richards Okore & Clark)

CD - Lescott is passed it - only usefull as a sub for the last 30mins

- Cant wait for Okore to be match fit - till then Richards & Clark for me.

LB - Amavi - great signing - we need to set up so that he can get forward more. Would, like Bacuna, benefit from a back 3.

Defence in general as a 4 with Hutton/Bacuna - Richards - Clark - Amavi  need more protection especially in front of RB

->

We've needed a "natural" Holding/Defensive Midfield player for years now. Someone who can marshal in front of the defence and track runners.

Till then we should go with Gana & Vertoute - Sanchez is only good for 60mins as a starter - Westwood only when we get a proven H/DM

With a Back 4 we need wingers Traore & Sinclair along side 2 DM's

With a back 3 we can afford to push Bacuna & Amavi on we can afford 1 DM (against teams outside top 6) 2 tough away & the "Gonna lose most times" games

->

Gestede needs to be fed - forget his weaknesses - he CAN score!!!!

Gabby - Transfer list or train with the youth

We now have a choice of 1 or 2 creative players Grealish and/or Gill.

->

what we have now is just enough to bridge the gap of Safety 15th and 11th

January window will be either buying to stay 11-15th or if we are thereabouts 12th - 10th tops.

->

On Tim

Show your balls again - Drop the names - play to our strengths and get starting line up right, then subs can be used to turn draws to wins, see a game home and at worse case claw back from 1-0 down.

->

I'm not too fussed about systems

3 -4 -2-1 Richards Okore Clark - Bacuna Vertoute/sanchez(60mins) Gana Amavi - Gill Grealish - Gestede

3-4-1-2 Richards Okore Clark - Bacuna Vertoute/sanchez(60mins) Gana Amavi - Grealish/Gill - Sinclair Gestede

3-5-2 Richards Okore Clark - Bacuna Vertoute Sanchez(60mins)/Westwood Gana Amavi - Grealish/Gill Gestede

4-4-2 Richards Okore Clark Amavi - Bacuna Vertoute Gana Sinclair/Traore - Grealish/Gill Gestede

4-3-2-1 Richards Okore Clark Amavi - Vertoute Sanchez(60mins)/Westwood Gana - Gill/Sinclair/Traore Grealish - Gestede

4-2-3-1 Richards Okore Clark Amavi - Vertoute Gana - Sinclair/Traore Gill Grealish - Gestede

4-1-3-2 Richards Okore Clark Amavi - Sanchez(60mins subbed by Vertoute or Westwood) - Gill/Traore Gana Grealish  - Sinclair Gestede

Edited by Grasshopper

No

I can't imagine any of our players are weighed down by the pressure of playing for Aston Villa. They feel pressure I'm sure, but it's no greater for us than it would be for any other club.

I think playing at Villa Park does come with a certain pressure that other smaller clubs don’t experience. Despite having battled relegation for the last 5 seasons we are still a pretty demanding and expectant bunch and I love that about us as fans but it does have its downside. We can be drawing with any side outside of the top 6 or 7 with 5 minutes to go and the crowd won’t accept us playing for a draw they will want us to go for the win. I say this as someone who has hardly missed a home game in knocking on 30 years and I am as bad as anyone for encouraging us to go forward. Also quite often if we go a goal down impatience and anxiety sets in amongst the fans almost instantly and if the first half doesn't go too well, even if we are not losing, then there are often boos.

I think Newcastle suffer from similar in that there is an expectancy level that is way beyond the capability of some of the players and they can’t handle it.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

No

I think playing at Villa Park does come with a certain pressure that other smaller clubs don’t experience. Despite having battled relegation for the last 5 seasons we are still a pretty demanding and expectant bunch and I love that about us as fans but it does have its downside. We can be drawing with any side outside of the top 6 or 7 with 5 minutes to go and the crowd won’t accept us playing for a draw they will want us to go for the win. I say this as someone who has hardly missed a home game in knocking on 30 years and I am as bad as anyone for encouraging us to go forward. Also quite often if we go a goal down impatience and anxiety sets in amongst the fans almost instantly and if the first half doesn't go too well, even if we are not losing, then there are often boos.

I think Newcastle suffer from similar in that there is an expectancy level that is way beyond the capability of some of the players and they can’t handle it.

Yeah I agree with that Mark, I think our team always feels under severe pressure when playing at Villa park

but we lost the last three games 6-1, 1-0 and then 4-0?? 

The form seems to have continued where we left off last season

No

Were Aston villa, not man united. The fans know were shit, The media knows were shit. Everybody knows were shit. The "shirt" means nothing to nearly all footballers. $$$ > shirt/ground/whatever

Edited by gharperr

The nickname `tactics Tim'; is that because he put too much emphasis on tactics? He seems to me to be over-thinking line ups and subs.

I think its because he didn't actually show any tactics and just went gung-ho. I may be wrong though.

Was originally meant in an affectionate way at Spurs but has stuck as a derisory, mocking label.

I wonder if VillaTalk have a team that we'd all agree upon. If the club said in the morning that Tim has decided to let VT posters with more than 500 posts who'd been on the site for more than 6 months to pick the team, and then do substitutes at 60 minutes, would we be able to pick a team with more than 50% of us agreeing on one player for each position. Might be an interesting idea for a poll. Or an entire forum.

• Like 2

No

also to a lesser extent Sunderland have similar expectations. That makes up the bottom 3 at the moment

• Like 1

Its funny....because when folk say, you must have watched a different game....well, they do.....just like a painting has different virtues from various viewers.

I love to watch attacking football, with improvisation and technique......but I also appreciate the DM's role particularly the likes of Makele ....the reading of the game and the " pick pocket" style of interception to me is enthralling.

The one thing we all agree on is the need to win or gains points....Thats the business end of the debate, its not cosmetic it is bread and butter survival.

Ron Saunders  & John Gregory's teams were not Pretty.....but they were FUNCTIONAL, they knew how to get points, they knew the job had to be done first before any notion of pretty stuff was contemplated.

I get the notion that not every Villa Fan gets this, hence the pressure put up on managers to entertain, before considering playing in a style to get the valued points.

Its great if each player is world class and you can do both....(but constraints being what they are, not always money.....attraction to the club too.) but its unlikely.

I believe as a bunch Fans,Manager, players ....all of us . we have lost our identity, we don't know what to do for the best.

The weirdest thing for me is ,i think we have played some good football going forward with the ball......retreating without the ball , we look schoolboy like.....I also think there is a lack of self discipline within the ranks.....I noticed when Jack Grealish ( Who I adore when he's at it) passed a ball to Hutton on the wing against 'Pool and he crossed and gestede scored, great....but Jack should have been bombing on for a possible knockdown or Ricochet ....instead he just stopped and waited for a bus......This game is hard and you have to work, at 19 he should be selling energy.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

No

also to a lesser extent Sunderland have similar expectations. That makes up the bottom 3 at the moment

Its funny, that 3 huge clubs are at the bottom.....and yes the expectation of the 3 is challenging....but I'm not sure its just that.

each club has been involved in such a lot of transfer activity and I think the disruption that, that brings is also a contributory factor.....together with so many managers coming and going.

I believe this league punishes mistakes very easily and all 3 clubs have signed more not so good players than good.

Some of the clubs that have gone down and come up, have done so with a Gel and togetherness in an environment that has allowed more time.

Bare in mind Ron Saunders brought us up so he had the environment to implement a mentality in to his players without the " sack" breathing down his neck at the sign of every setback.....He to had many players to change...but he was able to build the resilience in to the side......Thats what Tim Sherwood, needs to do.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â