The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

We all need to remember that Sherwood is new to this game too. He is now managing a squad that has been ripped apart and that will take time to gel. The club is in yet another transitional period - even the backroom staff have changed! - and needs time. We gave it to Lambert and we need to also give it to Sherwood. in fact, I would argue that Sherwood deserves it even more than Lambert given the fact he (Lambert) had been a well established manager before he came here!

I wrote off the first 8-10 games of this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see us in the bottom three after 8, 10 or even 12 games but, given time and with the fans remaining calm and patient (a lot to ask, I know!), I believe that we will see a much better team in the last two thirds of the season, when everyone has gelled and settled down.

Fair enough - buit what are you basing that on ? blind faith ? - where do you see the goals coming from ?

Gestede, Ayew, Gabby, Grealish, Traorè, Gana, Veretout....

• Like 1

We all need to remember that Sherwood is new to this game too. He is now managing a squad that has been ripped apart and that will take time to gel. The club is in yet another transitional period - even the backroom staff have changed! - and needs time. We gave it to Lambert and we need to also give it to Sherwood. in fact, I would argue that Sherwood deserves it even more than Lambert given the fact he (Lambert) had been a well established manager before he came here!

I wrote off the first 8-10 games of this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see us in the bottom three after 8, 10 or even 12 games but, given time and with the fans remaining calm and patient (a lot to ask, I know!), I believe that we will see a much better team in the last two thirds of the season, when everyone has gelled and settled down.

Fair enough - buit what are you basing that on ? blind faith ? - where do you see the goals coming from ?

oh ....silly me .....why did I ever ask the question .....were bubbling with goals....

We all need to remember that Sherwood is new to this game too. He is now managing a squad that has been ripped apart and that will take time to gel. The club is in yet another transitional period - even the backroom staff have changed! - and needs time. We gave it to Lambert and we need to also give it to Sherwood. in fact, I would argue that Sherwood deserves it even more than Lambert given the fact he (Lambert) had been a well established manager before he came here! I wrote off the first 8-10 games of this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see us in the bottom three after 8, 10 or even 12 games but, given time and with the fans remaining calm and patient (a lot to ask, I know!), I believe that we will see a much better team in the last two thirds of the season, when everyone has gelled and settled down.

One thing I'm sure of is that IF Gestede turns out to be a one trick pony, then Sherwood will start playing to that strength. He got goals out of last years bunch of inept try hards didnt he? if that is all we've got come next tuesday then I'm sure he'll get them playing competatively at least and he will definately try and score goals wherever he manges of that I'm certain. Chill your boots everyone, it's still August. We might not have looked great but we haven't been rolled over either.

When people come out with stuff like "Okore is absolute shit" it really does make me wonder what they are seeing when they watch us play.

He's hardly set the world alight here has he.

He's been average when fit. Some decent games and some very poor games. Certainly nothing to shout about.

FA Cup - black mark here for me,  losing to a team like Arsenal no shame but for me we just didnt turn up,  we didnt go down fighting.  Really disappointed

I blame the players for this though. How many times will any of them play in a cup final again and some treated it like a **** testimonial

• Like 2

When people come out with stuff like "Okore is absolute shit" it really does make me wonder what they are seeing when they watch us play.

He's been average when fit. Some decent games and some very poor games. Certainly nothing to shout about.

maybe he is average but he is not shit, sign some plodder from League 2 and put him in central defence and that would be shit. average players is probably our level at the moment and TIm is looking push us on from it

maybe he is average but he is not shit, sign some plodder from League 2 and put him in central defence and that would be shit. average players is probably our level at the moment and TIm is looking push us on from it

I'd agree tho you wouldn't believe it given some of the reviews some of our players receive.

Why are we talking about Okore in the Sherwood thread?

I think it's because Okore is shit Sherwood is shit Villa are shit the new signings are shit etc etc it's the usual let's all panic we are doomed mind set.

• Like 2

I like what Sherwood is trying to do and also am very positive by the signings. However, we've lost 5 of our last 6 games. Being humped in two of them. And only scored 3 goals in that time.

I like how Sherwood speaks and his attitude but everything at the club is positive atm except on the pitch, sadly. We really need to see some performances in the next few games. It could be a lot worse if Bournemouth had scored that simple chance at 0-0. Thank goodness we got 3 points from that game.

• Like 1

Again, had Sherwood underperformed last season I'd be one of the first to call him on it.

If you can't see the improvement in the team between Paul Lambert leaving and the end of the season then I'm astonished.

I'd be more inclined to say you were being deliberately critical to cause an argument.

What were the results Palace away, Utd at home last season ?

How many points did we have after 3 games last season ?

Wheres the evidence that TS can take us forward ? - Most people are seeking comfort in the fact that the manager and players are all unknown to us - I don't see a jot of evidence that we won't be down the bottom this season ?

I think you should go and have a lie down.

I like what Sherwood is trying to do and also am very positive by the signings. However, we've lost 5 of our last 6 games. Being humped in two of them. And only scored 3 goals in that time.

I like how Sherwood speaks and his attitude but everything at the club is positive atm except on the pitch, sadly. We really need to see some performances in the next few games. It could be a lot worse if Bournemouth had scored that simple chance at 0-0. Thank goodness we got 3 points from that game.

Or better if Clark and Amavi hadn't screwed up against Palace, or Richards hadn't dived in against United, or Gabby didn't have the finishing skills of a terrorist on a French train.

Could of, would have should have.

There are always these scenario's for alternative outcomes of games or sequences of games, positive and negative.

At the end of the day we've 3 points from 3 tough opening fixtures which is probably about on par where most of us thought we would be. The performances have shown some promise without being promising but we've done it with a bunch of new players, many of whom are new to the league.

We lack a few things, some of which some actual investment could fix and others which time will hopefully fix.

I share some of the concerns on Sherwood, mostly about his rather win rather than draw approach which proves costly at times but its too early to be concerned.

We won't go down this season, I don't even think we will be close because we will win more games than last season but we will lose a fair few too.

Sherwood is a little naive at times, certainly a little too gung ho but he has shown signs he is smart enough to learn, change and recognise these things.

Given a little time and one would hope just a little investment from Lerner we will be fine but there will be bumps in the road that much is certain.

• Like 1

I really haven't seen much in our football so far this season that I would describe as "gung-ho".

I would love someone to explain a bit more fully what these phrases, such as "gung-ho" and "up and at 'em", that get bandied about in relation to Sherwood, actually mean, and give some examples from the games we have played this season.

(Sorry if that sounds a bit like an exam question.)

• Like 1

I never understand why fans deliberately use stats to do us down ?

Either you want to be negative or you are negative by disposition and can't help it !

If instead of taking the last 6 games what about the 14 before that since taking over ? 8 wins and 24 goals ?

It is just as representative, (or just as unrepresentative !)...??

There are countless, practically infinite, examples of any side, especially any outside the top four ( but including them) having runs of games which produce little in the way of positive results, it is just normal.

I don't mean it in a swashbuckling Kevin Keegan we will scored 5 if we let in 4 way.

Its more in terms of his game management or at times lack of it.

Take his first game in charge for example, in our position a point against Stoke would have been a decent result and many would have been happy to take it, to take it as a starting point if you pardon the term. Not Sherwood, he wanted to win and we ended up losing. 

Just like on Saturday we lost that game against Stoke, like the Palace one on Saturday because of individual mistakes but they were mistakes in some small part that were a result of our general approach.

Having fought our way back into the game against Palace we could and probably should have shut down the midfield, killed the game held on for the point. But no we are rolling the ball out from the keeper to the full back and trying to hit them on the break.

That has to come from Sherwood, if it doesn't he should be ripping the players new ones.

Thats what I mean about gung ho, not all out attacking play that has us purring, we don't have that sort of talent, more the way we approach games. 

Jung ho was/is the wrong phrase in retrospect but I was too lazy to think of one more appropriate.

I really haven't seen much in our football so far this season that I would describe as "gung-ho".

I would love someone to explain a bit more fully what these phrases, such as "gung-ho" and "up and at 'em", that get bandied about in relation to Sherwood, actually mean, and give some examples from the games we have played this season.

(Sorry if that sounds a bit like an exam question.)

If anything I would say he has been too cautious since the Southampton game.

To offer my view on your question I think the gung ho bit with Him was noticeable early on when we would get the ball and every player would turn and go/ look to go forward.....I remember freeze framing loads of examples in the early games in contrast to what we had ended up doing under Lambo.

Just rewatch the second half against Leicester.

Fwiw I don't think that is gung ho, I think it is positive front foot football which will prove very effective a lot of the time against all outside the top 6.

Unfortunately as I say it is my impression this approach has been curbed, I do hope not.

I don't mean it in a swashbuckling Kevin Keegan we will scored 5 if we let in 4 way.

Its more in terms of his game management or at times lack of it.

Take his first game in charge for example, in our position a point against Stoke would have been a decent result and many would have been happy to take it, to take it as a starting point if you pardon the term. Not Sherwood, he wanted to win and we ended up losing. 

Just like on Saturday we lost that game against Stoke, like the Palace one on Saturday because of individual mistakes but they were mistakes in some small part that were a result of our general approach.

Having fought our way back into the game against Palace we could and probably should have shut down the midfield, killed the game held on for the point. But no we are rolling the ball out from the keeper to the full back and trying to hit them on the break.

That has to come from Sherwood, if it doesn't he should be ripping the players new ones.

Thats what I mean about gung ho, not all out attacking play that has us purring, we don't have that sort of talent, more the way we approach games.

I agree with your analysis of what we do, but don't see it as a fault.

I think it is game management how he wants it.

I think he reasons ( IMO correctly) that outside games against the top four we are better off going for wins. Thirty games drawn is 30 points. Fifteen won and fifteen lost is 45, and we are good enough to win as often as we lose.

( I don't mean those stats literally of course but you see my point ?)

Or better if Clark and Amavi hadn't screwed up against Palace, or Richards hadn't dived in against United, or Gabby didn't have the finishing skills of a terrorist on a French train.

Could of, would have should have.

There are always these scenario's for alternative outcomes of games or sequences of games, positive and negative.

At the end of the day we've 3 points from 3 tough opening fixtures which is probably about on par where most of us thought we would be. The performances have shown some promise without being promising but we've done it with a bunch of new players, many of whom are new to the league.

We lack a few things, some of which some actual investment could fix and others which time will hopefully fix.

I share some of the concerns on Sherwood, mostly about his rather win rather than draw approach which proves costly at times but its too early to be concerned.

We won't go down this season, I don't even think we will be close because we will win more games than last season but we will lose a fair few too.

Sherwood is a little naive at times, certainly a little too gung ho but he has shown signs he is smart enough to learn, change and recognise these things.

Given a little time and one would hope just a little investment from Lerner we will be fine but there will be bumps in the road that much is certain.

Agree about the could have would have but that goal would have put Bournemouth 1-0 up. Obviously who knows what would happened afterwards.

I disagree on the performances though. I think we've been ropey in all three games. Very little positives. We've had so few shots on target and nothing more than a lot of huffing and puffing with nothing in the final third. I'm still positive about the season but based purely on the first three games, its a long way off. 

I agree with your analysis of what we do, but don't see it as a fault.

I think it is game management how he wants it.

I think he reasons ( IMO correctly) that outside games against the top four we are better off going for wins. Thirty games drawn is 30 points. Fifteen won and fifteen lost is 45, and we are good enough to win as often as we lose.

( I don't mean those stats literally of course but you see my point ?)

It was less a criticism and more an observation, I'm not saying its wrong although at times I'd like him to be more cautious.

The approach saved us last season, it will keep us up this season too once players bed down etc.

Its a brave, risky and somewhat unconventional approach but its about a winning mentality which what he keeps talking about as opposed to the McLeish extreme the other way.

You would figure that the more he is able to improve the players, through coaching or signings then the more successful the approach will be in terms of results.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â