The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

A high line has players out of position the instant the ball is sent over the top and a quicker player gets onto the end of it. It takes an incredibly disciplined and experienced back line to get back into position and mark up after that and as mentioned a few posts up our back line was Bacuna (Not a natural right back), Vlaar, Okore (Playing injured) and Hutton (Not a left back) on the day.

I agree-But none of the goals came from balls over the top

So Southampton weren't getting in behind us at will?

• Like 1

That is absolute rubbish Stevo and you know it.

Nobody is disputing the defence was awful-We know it was.

That is my whole point-It was not the high line that cost us goals (it certainly didn't help admittedly) but the dreadful defending. It didn't matter how deep we defended, if we defended like that, the score would have been the same.

Any chance that the dreadful defending was caused by extremely rarely used tactics, i.e. a high line, coupled with starting a back four of Bacuna-Okore-Vlaad-Hutton for the first(?) time in the season?

None whatsoever. Failing to mark an opponent and continually giving the ball to the opposition is just plain and simple poor play, regardless of tactics, formation etc.

If we were struggling for a left back then the cards were forced regarding Hutton. Had he played there before recently? possibly against WBA?

Uhhh failing to get into a position to mark a quick player is one of the huge problems caused by playing a high line with inexperienced, undisciplined players. 

• Like 1

A high line has players out of position the instant the ball is sent over the top and a quicker player gets onto the end of it. It takes an incredibly disciplined and experienced back line to get back into position and mark up after that and as mentioned a few posts up our back line was Bacuna (Not a natural right back), Vlaar, Okore (Playing injured) and Hutton (Not a left back) on the day.

So Southampton didn't score by playing balls over the top?

That is absolute rubbish Stevo and you know it.

Nobody is disputing the defence was awful-We know it was.

That is my whole point-It was not the high line that cost us goals (it certainly didn't help admittedly) but the dreadful defending. It didn't matter how deep we defended, if we defended like that, the score would have been the same.

Any chance that the dreadful defending was caused by extremely rarely used tactics, i.e. a high line, coupled with starting a back four of Bacuna-Okore-Vlaad-Hutton for the first(?) time in the season?

None whatsoever. Failing to mark an opponent and continually giving the ball to the opposition is just plain and simple poor play, regardless of tactics, formation etc.

If we were struggling for a left back then the cards were forced regarding Hutton. Had he played there before recently? possibly against WBA?

Uhhh failing to get into a position to mark a quick player is one of the huge problems caused by playing a high line with inexperienced, undisciplined players. 

Uhhh failing to get into position to mark a quick player is a huge problem no matter how high or deep the defence is

So Southampton didn't score by playing balls over the top?

Long balls and strikers running onto it, no. It was the wrong wording from me. 

Now, were Southampton getting in behind us?

Uhhh failing to get into position to mark a quick player is a huge problem no matter how high or deep the defence is

Simple idea - don't leave them 40 yards of free space to attack between your GK and defensive line and you're giving yourself a chance. 

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan

...people on here need to understand that they are not master tacticians by simply repeating what they hear on TV...

I think you ought to treat other people's opinions (or at the least how they form them) with a fair bit more respect - it wasn't 'simply repeating what they hear on TV'.

Plenty of people were watching that game against Southampton and thinking that we were getting caught out time and time again by playing a high back line - it was throughout the game as far as I can remember (indeed I seem to remember it happening just after we came out for the second half and me remarking in the thread that we'd been done again - or something like that).

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

Defenders don't usually have anywhere near as much of a problem marking a quick player when playing deep as there isn't much room for them to run into......

This is defending 101

If there was a textbook it would be on page one.

If you're playing against a quick forward line you play deeper.

Defenders don't usually have anywhere near as much of a problem marking a quick player when playing deep as there isn't much room for them to run into......

This is defending 101

You'd think watching Villa try and break down teams who sit deep at Villa Park with Gabby up top would be enough to convince someone of this......

Edited by sexbelowsound

This is defending 101

You'd think watching Villa try and break down teams who sit deep at Villa Park with Gabby up top would be enough to convince someone of this......

Yeah I'm sold.

Prolific our Gabby is-Works every time

Just look at the goals-It was nothing to do with running behind us. We gave them the goals on a plate.

This is defending 101

Yeah I'm sold.

I give up.  :blink:

I was at Thorpe Park but got a number of texts from different fans saying the high line is killing us.

I was at Thorpe Park but got a number of texts from different fans saying the high line is killing us.

I bet you only went to Thorpe Park because a BT Pundit said you should.

I bet he only got those txts because someone on BT had said it.

The match thread proves beyond doubt that the main cause of concern was the abysmal defending and not the positioning of the line.

This is defending 101

Yeah I'm sold.

Have you ever worked as Government spokesman? I see to remember your communication style? Something like Iraq c. 2003

mbrxx.jpg

Edited by Eames
  • Like 2

I bet he only got those txts because someone on BT had said it.

The match thread proves beyond doubt that the main cause of concern was the abysmal defending and not the positioning of the line.

Abysmal defending caused by the high line. Too much space and players out of position.

He he. :D

Edited by snowychap

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â