The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Let's give the guy a full preseason with the team and at least a transfer window before we lynch him eh?

This x 100

I find it incredible that some have written him off after 10 games. I think people forget what a mess the club was in when he took over.

It wasn't so long ago some people were saying Lambert needed 2-3 years to turn things around. Sherwood has made a marked improvement on the dross we were served up by St Paul imo.

Were palace in less of a mess?

West brom?

Massive improvements with average managers at the helm for those teams.

We've just got ourselves another crap manager.

That would be great point if only it had any statistical or factual merit.

Sherwoods first 7 League - Won 2, Drawn 1, Lost 4, scored 11, conceeded 11, points 7, Goal Difference 0

Pulis first 7, Won 3, Drawn 3, Lost 1, scored 6, conceeded 5, points 12, goal difference +1. (Currently on 15 points from 11 games, g difference - 5)

Pardew first 7, Won 3, Drawn 1, Lost 3, scored 10, comceeded 9, points 10, goal difference +1. (Now at 19 from 11 games, +4 goals.)

Yet you say they wrought, Quote 'Massive Improvements".

So basically if we had scored 1 more goal and turned a draw to a win he would pretty much match these apparently far superior managers.  And neither of those inherited a Club who simply couldnt score goals.

In Pulis case, you would also have been knocked out the FA Cup by your rivals, and have to watch dire football.

Sadly its such small margins that could relegate us - and extra 2 points would be massive at this stage.

Of course - but thats not the point......the guy knocking Sherwood was explicitly stating those two Managers brought about MASSIVE changes.

I am simply pointing out that is just not so.

FWIW I think Sherwoods approach is exactly what we need to get those crucial extra 2 or 3 points.

But guesss what, hes a football Manager, not a keyboard warrior, so he probably does know what hwe is doing and has reasons for what he does.

Just a thought.

No need for that kind of post.

Especially as it isn't what you normally post.

I think it is fully justified.

I am making the point that fans who, after a few games, are effectively saying the Manager doesnt know what he is doing half the time, might like to consider that perhaps he does at least see as much as them, plus works with players every day, and that maybe, just maybe, he has good reasons for what he does.

Beleive me Id rather not be posting any of this after what I thought was a terrific game of football, but I am genuinely utterly sick of the constant comments of a minority who have clearly already decided, and seem almost pleased that, our Manager is an idiot !

But I don't think many are actually saying that  - I think a lot of people have reservations - but those 100% against him are few and far between IMO

So managed to almost lose to QPR at home on a crunch match, saved only by the one great player available to him. Don't trust the competence of this fool at all. Spurs will slaughter that defence.

if we stay up it will be in spite of his tactics and benteke just being fit.

• Like 1

People saying about passing judgement.

Would you like people (not experts in your field) to judge your perfromance 630 minutes into your new job ?

Particularly if the main judgement was that you didnt really know what you were doing ?

Just asking.

But guesss what, hes a football Manager, not a keyboard warrior, so he probably does know what hwe is doing and has reasons for what he does.

Just a thought.

No need for that kind of post.
Especially as it isn't what you normally post.

I am making the point that fans who, after a few games, are effectively saying the Manager doesnt know what he is doing half the time, might like to consider that perhaps he does at least see as much as them, plus works with players every day, and that maybe, just maybe, he has good reasons for what he does.

Beleive me Id rather not be posting any of this after what I thought was a terrific game of football, but I am genuinely utterly sick of the constant comments of a minority who have clearly already decided, and seem almost pleased that, our Manager is an idiot !

But I don't think many are actually saying that  - I think a lot of people have reservations - but those 100% against him are few and far between IMO

Agreed but if you re -read my post it was responding to exactly that.

Let's give the guy a full preseason with the team and at least a transfer window before we lynch him eh?

This x 100

I find it incredible that some have written him off after 10 games. I think people forget what a mess the club was in when he took over.

It wasn't so long ago some people were saying Lambert needed 2-3 years to turn things around. Sherwood has made a marked improvement on the dross we were served up by St Paul imo.

Were palace in less of a mess?

West brom?

Massive improvements with average managers at the helm for those teams.

We've just got ourselves another crap manager.

That would be great point if only it had any statistical or factual merit.

Sherwoods first 7 League - Won 2, Drawn 1, Lost 4, scored 11, conceeded 11, points 7, Goal Difference 0

Pulis first 7, Won 3, Drawn 3, Lost 1, scored 6, conceeded 5, points 12, goal difference +1. (Currently on 15 points from 11 games, g difference - 5)

Pardew first 7, Won 3, Drawn 1, Lost 3, scored 10, comceeded 9, points 10, goal difference +1. (Now at 19 from 11 games, +4 goals.)

Yet you say they wrought, Quote 'Massive Improvements".

So basically if we had scored 1 more goal and turned a draw to a win he would pretty much match these apparently far superior managers.  And neither of those inherited a Club who simply couldnt score goals.

In Pulis case, you would also have been knocked out the FA Cup by your rivals, and have to watch dire football.

Sadly its such small margins that could relegate us - and extra 2 points would be massive at this stage.

Of course - but thats not the point......the guy knocking Sherwood was explicitly stating those two Managers brought about MASSIVE changes.

I am simply pointing out that is just not so.

FWIW I think Sherwoods approach is exactly what we need to get those crucial extra 2 or 3 points.

Whether he is good enough long term can wait until the end of the season.

Is he good enough, has he done enough to keep us up this season .....its looks dodgy to me....

Night all ! UTV

Sherwood couldn't care less what people say on here, he'll probably never know.

and why should he. Doubt Alex Ferguson, Jose MOurinho or Paul Lambert read football forums

You know what ?

When a player plays for Villa I think hes great, unless he really shows himself to be a muppet.

And when opposition fans say he is crap I argue for him.

I sing a song that says 'we're by far the greatest...etc'

Likewise when a guy Manages Villa I think the same way....unless he proves himself a muppet.

I still criticise them all, constructively, but I nver assume they 'dont know what theyre doing', or that their decisions are without reason, or that they are likely to fail.

And I just dont understand those that do.

Until he has the opportunity to bring in some different types I will reserve my judgement on him.

This line keeps getting trotted out.

And it's fair enough.

BUT, if Sherwood is a manager who needs a pre season and his own transfers to get us playing and keep us up then he will be a failure at what he has been employed to do. He will have been the wrong appointment and we don't have time to excuse it by saying he needs his own players.

Until we're relegated its a valid thing to say.

Not really.

Because it's implying that no matter what happens he gets a free pass until he has a transfer window and a pre season.

So even if we lost every game now and finished bottom, judgement would be reserved until he'd had a pre-season.

That's nuts.

(fwiw I think we'll stay up, just. I just hate this attitude that we're not allowed to pass any sort of judgement at this stage. Negative I might add. it seems fine to judge him if you reach a positive conclusion)

I think its fine that you don't fancy him as manager....thats a judgment you are entitled to too.

I disagree with your line on what resources he has to work with....I think it is a major part of a Managers success and his Transfer market exploits will make or break most managers.

Brian Clough was one of the greats, but couldn't work with the Leeds Players.....Tony Pulis turned Palace around but has a very mixed start at WBA....because they are not his type of players.

Depending on how your football philosophy is made up can have a bearing of what success you find early on depending on what type of players you have at your disposal or whether they fit....Ron Saunders would struggle with our lot IMO

Edited by TRO

In which case I withdraw my post.

The 'keyboard warrior' comment was shoddy. The rest was poor.

I went t oa lot of effort to give you a reasoned response and you quote the first couple of words..................not sure that makes you the ideal person to tell me whayt I am saying is anything at all.

And if you think it is poor, to make the point that our Managger might not be an idiot I dont know how I could ever post something you liked anyway !

As a matter of interest, does anyone on here think that there is a manager who would have come in and got a bottom 3 side into mid table within half a dozen games?

What did people expect when Sherwood was appointed?

improvement on the predecessor. I am not convinced we would be worse off under Lambert.

• Like 1

Odd that over the last 6 pages or so I have posted various facts (not opinions) which contradict or contest some of the criticisms of Sherwood.

Yet not a single fact has been contested or remarked upon.

Anyone would think people arent interested in the reality !

As a matter of interest, does anyone on here think that there is a manager who would have come in and got a bottom 3 side into mid table within half a dozen games?

improvement on the predecessor. I am not convinced we would be worse off under Lambert.

so you think we are worse than under Lambert?

If you do im sorry this might sound rude but you dont know anything about football

Wow.  Really ?

You must watch a totally different game than I do !!

Edited by terrytini

Until he has the opportunity to bring in some different types I will reserve my judgement on him.

This line keeps getting trotted out.

And it's fair enough.

BUT, if Sherwood is a manager who needs a pre season and his own transfers to get us playing and keep us up then he will be a failure at what he has been employed to do. He will have been the wrong appointment and we don't have time to excuse it by saying he needs his own players.

Until we're relegated its a valid thing to say.

Not really.

Because it's implying that no matter what happens he gets a free pass until he has a transfer window and a pre season.

So even if we lost every game now and finished bottom, judgement would be reserved until he'd had a pre-season.

That's nuts.

(fwiw I think we'll stay up, just. I just hate this attitude that we're not allowed to pass any sort of judgement at this stage. Negative I might add. it seems fine to judge him if you reach a positive conclusion)

I think its fine that you don't fancy him as manager....thats a judgment you are entitled to too.

I disagree with your line on what resources he has to work with....I think it is a major part of a Managers success and his Transfer market exploits will make or break most managers.

I haven't said I don't fancy him as manager. ON the whole I've been pleased with what he's done and I've specifically said I think he'll keep us up. And that means he will have succeeded in my book.

I'm not sure your second sentence makes sense based on what i've written. I'm not trying to say transfer windows bear no importance into a manager's ability. I'm merely saying that the position we were in didn't give us the luxury of a transfer window to correct the situation. There are managers out there who can come into a club, with a squad like ours, in the relegation zone on goal difference, and keep us up. Without a transfer window.

I think Sherwood will turn out to be one of those. 

BUT, if he fails to do that, then he will have failed at the job he was hired to do. We don't need to wait until after his first transfer window to judge him on what surely must have been his primary objective when given the job.

So managed to almost lose to QPR at home on a crunch match, saved only by the one great player available to him. Don't trust the competence of this fool at all. Spurs will slaughter that defence.

if we stay up it will be in spite of his tactics and benteke just being fit.

Did you watch the game?

so you think we are worse than under Lambert?

If you do im sorry this might sound rude but you dont know anything about football

We're certainly better off than when Lambert left us.

I'm not convinced the leap has been as huge as some are making out. We've still put in some dire performances under Sherwood. 

If we can continue the improvement will show how effective Sherwood is.

I went t oa lot of effort to give you a reasoned response and you quote the first couple of words..................not sure that makes you the ideal person to tell me whayt I am saying is anything at all.

What are you on about?

I'd reread before continuing, were I you.

And if you think it is poor, to make the point that our Managger might not be an idiot I dont know how I could ever post something you liked anyway !

Oh, was that the point of (the rest of) your post?

I think you meant 'like what you posted' rather than 'post what you liked', btw.

As an aside, weren't you utterly convinced that Lambert would revolutionize Villa?

I don't think Sherwood's an idiot. I'm not his greatest fan as a person and I don't think he's much cop as a manager.

If he keeps us up then his estimation will improve. I doubt it will increase hugely.

Â