The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

A 90 minute game is more than just one moment.

We deservedly won the game with the players he chose to start with and the sub's he brought on. That's all there is to it.

I'm not calling into question the lineup. I wasn't impressed initially and neither were a lot of people on here, but Gabby played brilliantly and I was a bit miffed when he took Zog off because I thought he looked like one of our better players.

Whether or not we deserved it doesn't come into it, however, and that one moment was the difference between three points and just one, so it was extremely important and the substitutions had nothing to do with it. Bacuna and Weimann didn't contribute at all, Grealish played okay.

I'm not trying to diminish the result. I'm as ecstatic tonight as I'm sure all Villa fans are, but I can't help but be concerned at some of Sherwood's decisions tonight because they could very well cost us valuable points in the upcoming games. If anyone here genuinely thinks Gil shouldn't be starting or at least getting on the pitch for twenty minutes each game then fair enough, but I'd say you were in the minority.

I think its fair to be concerned but to come out and say they're wrong, after we won, is just...well...wrong.

Are we finally seeing the shackles coming off a team so tightly put on by our previous manager. Seem to play with alot of freedom moreso in that first half. Sideways a little back but mainly forward attacking!

Passing a pace - not walking pace - that was the difference, they were practising it in the warm up..

• Like 1

I thought we were superb in the first half, Let them back into the game in the second and left on 90mins and ended up seeing the pen through the Mcgregor Suit window. All in all a great deal of improvement in the last couple of games and winning tonight was so important.

Only negative for me is a concern that he doesn't appear to fancy Gil at all. I really hope not though as I think if we do stay up he could be the future of this team.

All in all though glad I decided to go down my first game this season and being in the North lower when the goals went in was absolutely awesome!!

VTID!!

Seemed Cleverley was told to have a go tonight...and the way their players were closed down so fast was great to see, they were under almost constant pressure for much of the game. Aggression. Something we had none of under Lambert.

With regards to GIl when Sherwood first came he said that at first it's going to be a bit kick and rush to get us out of the mire. But beyond that once we're safe he mentioned the philosophy will be different. I imagine that's when we might see more of Gil.

Funny how people don't like his sub's yet until he came wed done nothing all season in the back end of games.....

How on earth can we say gill or Sinclair were fitter, readier, better in training, more mentally ready, a better fit for what he wanted, had responded to his ideas better, or any number of other things ?

Only a couple of weeks ago people were saying Sinclair was a waste of time, and plenty have wanted grealish and / or bacuna in.

Statistically it is impossible for either a line up or sub's to please everyone,so someone will always be dissatisfied, but for it to be flagged up as some sort of significant weakness makes no sense. Just as the suggestions that he was tactically clueless made no sense.

I thought he always played 442 ?

• Like 3

Got to love Sherwood's celebrations tonight. Much better than the boring man from North of the border.

What you mean your not missing that famous quote "we go again."

I had to laugh when I saw Darren Fletcher's interview on BT Sport after the game, because he said it. Is it a Scottish thing? ;)

I thought we were superb in the first half, Let them back into the game in the second and left on 90mins and ended up seeing the pen through the Mcgregor Suit window. All in all a great deal of improvement in the last couple of games and winning tonight was so important.

Only negative for me is a concern that he doesn't appear to fancy Gil at all. I really hope not though as I think if we do stay up he could be the future of this team.

All in all though glad I decided to go down my first game this season and being in the North lower when the goals went in was absolutely awesome!!

VTID!!

Lets not forget why we brought Gil - we weren't creating a damm thing. But now weve upped the tempo , and the energy, we are creating chances - Gil remains an option - but we don't need to rely soley on him to create stuff 

Funny how people don't like his sub's yet until he came wed done nothing all season in the back end of games.....

How on earth can we say gill or Sinclair were fitter, readier, better in training, more mentally ready, a better fit for what he wanted, had responded to his ideas better, or any number of other things ?

Only a couple of weeks ago people were saying Sinclair was a waste of time, and plenty have wanted grealish and / or bacuna in.

Statistically it is impossible for either a line up or sub's to please everyone,so someone will always be dissatisfied, but for it to be flagged up as some sort of significant weakness makes no sense. Just as the suggestions that he was tactically clueless made no sense.

I thought he always played 442 ?

Yep results are king 

• Like 3

I wouldn't worry about Gil. Tim's done a great job of kicking this team up the backside. Nzogbia was picked and he looked more up for it than he has in years. He obviously earned his spot in training and wanted to keep it. Brilliant!

Now Gil has to earn that spot. To make it even better Jack came in and did really well too.

You want competition and players climbing over eachother to get in the team.

• Like 4

I think most people are surprised Gil hasn't been picked of late but then most people wouldn't have had NZogbia or Gabby anywhere near the team yet both played very well tonight. One thing with a Sherwood it seems if you do it on the training pitch you will get a chance. Tonight Lowton was again very good even though playing out of position he actually looks back to how good he was around the time of his Stoke goal and this is another player who was dropped and not looked at under PL. We have improved performnaces game on game and have now finally got the result we deserved so full credit to Sherwood he is definitely in stilling his playing style into the players and this result will hopefully encourage them to have a go more next time out. For people to be questioning him after tonight is silly. Tonight was a great night and well deserved win its been a long time coming so I'm just going to enjoy it whilst I can.

• Like 4

Well I would've benched Gabby tonight, was disappointed to see he was starting so just shows how easy it is sometimes to spout opinions on a keyboard with no pressure behind those words.

Wasn't sure on the subs either although Grealish was pretty bright at the end.

Big plus for me was that was the first home game in seemingly years where we've been on the front foot from the start. If we have to lose home games I'd rather we did it in that style than the zombie way over the last few years.

Hopefully it wasn't just it being a local derby as they always have a different feel and tempo to them.

I do get the feeling Sherwood could be that rare Villa manager that makes us tough to beat at Villa Park over time,

• Like 1

Knowing that we have Gil there, in the locker and getting settled in England, is a huge positive. To have that sort of player in our locker is exactly what we need, relying solely on him to keep us up however, isn't.

• Like 1

One thing I do like about Sherwood so far is the look of his backroom lot.

They were assembled at apparently short notice, but they seem to have input and have a more confident air about them than anyone Lambert managed to bring in (unless you consider Keane to have a look of confidence rather than just menace). Culverhouse arrived with a bit of fanfare, but I never looked at him and thought of a bloke who knows how to fix things from the dugout. Early days though.

• Like 2

Â