What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

Love Bobby Bares voice. This song was written by Deena Rose. She is trans and she said dependent on her masculine side or feminine side, some days are diamonds, some days are stone. Love this song.

• Like 1

One of the better and most exciting of the current crop of the neo traditional country guys. Elements of Strait or Randy Travis. 

7 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Love Bobby Bares voice. This song was written by Deena Rose. She is trans and she said dependent on her masculine side or feminine side, some days are diamonds, some days are stone. Love this song.

Was a mainstay in our house growing up. And his son Bobby Bare Jr has crafted a pretty interesting body of work of his own, from Bare Jr. to solo to being in GBV

• Like 1

Saw something on the BBC website about an unknown to me singer, Connie Converse. Have given her a listen and its not bad at all. 

• Like 1

On 02/08/2024 at 14:06, Seat68 said:

apologies for a quick bit of manspaining, but just in case you didn’t know…. This is one of those ‘newly discovered’ gems that pop up now and again, just re emerged a few months ago of Humble Pie playing at the opening of the Biba shop in London 

that’s how you open a new shop

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

apologies for a quick bit of manspaining, but just in case you didn’t know…. This is one of those ‘newly discovered’ gems that pop up now and again, just re emerged a few months ago of Humble Pie playing at the opening of the Biba shop in London 

that’s how you open a new shop

Always appreciate a bit of mansplaining when it comes to music. This was served up by the algorithm and it hit the spot very nicely. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Saw something on the BBC website about an unknown to me singer, Connie Converse. Have given her a listen and its not bad at all. 

Fascinating story. Here’s a good NYT article from 2022. I “shared” it so paywall shouldn’t be an issue 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/11/magazine/connie-converse-disappearance.html?unlocked_article_code=1.AE4.vsx6.oy2R1-DnzmUJ&smid=url-share

I first heard the songs of Converse in 2009, five years after Gene Deitch, who initially recorded Converse’s music in his kitchen with a Crestwood 404 tape recorder in the 1950s, played a cluster of recordings on WNYC. The songs were compiled and then released as the 2009 album “How Sad, How Lovely.” The release ignited a fascination around Converse, whom most people had never heard of. There are few things that seduce like scarcity — the reality that you can briefly traverse a single small world built by someone who left, and then built nothing else for the public to find or access. These were the only songs Converse ever recorded: She disappeared from Ann Arbor, Mich., in 1974, and hasn’t been seen or heard from since.

If Connie Converse were alive today, she would be 98. On the internet, she is mostly assumed dead. Written of and spoken of in the past tense. For some, it might be hard to separate the shock of how her story ended from the songs themselves, but there is an abundance of brilliance in the work. Converse mastered the art of sparseness, relying on her ability to create a tiny chamber in which all that could survive is a voice and the pin pricks of a guitar’s strings, moving along inch by inch.

• Thanks 1

Been checking out Mobius Loop.

as I said elsewhere, our neighbours run an animal shelter and Mobius Loop are coming to do a private gig in a couple of weeks, and we got an invite.

Yes they seem hippie-to-the-extreme but I reckon it'll be a nice chilled night out, and five minutes to get home 👍:flag::hooray:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

as I said elsewhere, our neighbours run an animal shelter and Mobius Loop are coming to do a private gig in a couple of weeks, and we got an invite.

Yes they seem hippie-to-the-extreme but I reckon it'll be a nice chilled night out, and five minutes to get home 👍:flag::hooray:

👍👍 they seem to have a similar vibe to Devotchka & Gogol Bordello. Wish I could join you 🍻

• Like 1

Just now, Nor-Cal Villan said:

👍👍 they seem to have a similar vibe to Devotchka & Gogol Bordello. Wish I could join you 🍻

That would be good, you might see my cat catching some rodents at the same time (see"Cats" thread) ;)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Anyone who supports the local animal shelter is good in my book 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

That would be good, you might see my cat catching some rodents at the same time (see"Cats" thread) ;)

I already saw it, classic Freddie!

My neighbor just told me that he saw another neighbor’s cat walking around with a dead rat in its mouth 🤣 Many neighbors have fruit trees so it attracts all manner of animals, some less cute & cuddly than others 

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Do report back on that :D

They ply the same circuit as Katie Hopkins and other anti vax types.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â