What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

On 30/06/2023 at 08:58, Seat68 said:

I am still persisting with Orville Peck, not totally in love and his stuff is pricey so thats stopping me buying it. I sought this out basically as Fancy is by far the **** weirdest country song there is and thats saying something in this genre. That said I really like the song and in particular the version by Reba McEntyre, so this version is stripped down and it really works with it. In particular I like the vocals.

It's interesting ... and I like your holistic take and agree. I think the cowboy gimp persona can sort of overpower assessments of the music itself with Peck. His raw, wonderfully unprocessed (I think?) voice is absolutely the best part, for sure. There's not really anything here that's particularly innovative (a non-binary, genre-blending singer isn't exactly an earth-shattering occurence in 2023), but there IS a very stark and exciting atmosphere and droney mysteriousness. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

At 2:48, Ian Brown seems to have travelled back in time and made himself one of the few unimpressed members of the audience.

I caught Ed Sheeran doing this neat trick at Woodstock 94. 1 min 58 in

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Seal said:

I caught Ed Sheeran doing this neat trick at Woodstock 94. 1 min 58 in

Too funny and startling!
... and RIP Shannon Hoon, another beautiful young voice lost to addiction, sadly. Never even gave himself a chance to keep developing as an artist.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

On 25/06/2023 at 21:59, Marka Ragnos said:

Surely the most parodied encore request of all time, but jesus, listen to Allen Collins' solo starting at 6:20 ... it's hard southern rock that achieves a kind of trance-like, psychedelic trippiness with 100,000-plus girls in tube tops and halters jigglings to the beat. Three months before the infamous crash. 

Have you ever listened to Drive By Truckers album 'Southern Rock Opera'? Kinda a rock opera about growing up in the South, and paralleling the rise and fall of the South and the rise and fall of Lynyrd Skynyrd or something along those lines. It is well worth a hour or so of your time. If I am being honest, whilst Lynyrd Skynrd are the unquestionable high vista of Southern Rock, and rightly so. I reckon Drive by Truckers have a stronger back catalogue.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-5MCdmG7Rc&list=PL6_O1spBL-YWXFYfxqFnat6qN3TFwug1z

I also just found out Molly Hatchet are touring the UK as we speak. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Seal said:

whilst Lynyrd Skynrd are the unquestionable high vista of Southern Rock, and rightly so. I reckon Drive by Truckers have a stronger back catalogue.  

Really?

Have you heard Skynyrd's first five albums? I've got 'em and they are all rammed with total classics. Actually six albums if you include the live one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seal said:

Have you ever listened to Drive By Truckers album 'Southern Rock Opera'? Kinda a rock opera about growing up in the South, and paralleling the rise and fall of the South and the rise and fall of Lynyrd Skynyrd or something along those lines. It is well worth a hour or so of your time. If I am being honest, whilst Lynyrd Skynrd are the unquestionable high vista of Southern Rock, and rightly so. I reckon Drive by Truckers have a stronger back catalogue.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-5MCdmG7Rc&list=PL6_O1spBL-YWXFYfxqFnat6qN3TFwug1z

I also just found out Molly Hatchet are touring the UK as we speak. 

Really good stuff. Thanks for the tip. I used in the live in Athens GA eons ago. They reminded me vaguely also of TBS: 

44 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Really?

Have you heard Skynyrd's first five albums? I've got 'em and they are all rammed with total classics. Actually six albums if you include the live one.

Something about the purity of their music and the once-in-a-century coming together of all these different eras and traditions and influences and even music production technology -- all those strands that Skynyrd seemed to capture. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Really?

I have yes and I love them (just to prove my credentials on this, I have written a novel of which Freebird is a major plot device, albeit the first scene was basically taken from situation in a DBT song - if you ever fancy reading lemme know, its nearing completion and could do with beta readers, listened to so much skynyrd when i was writing). However - I would always gravitate towards a best of Lynyrd Skynyrd. It just suits my taste more, maybe I find the more experimental stuff a little more in need of a deep listen, which also is not how I listen to music these days. That is on me. I think Drive by Truckers first five albums are also rammed with total classics also, and I think that Southern Rock Opera and The Dirty South are two of my favourite albums. Although that is also just my taste. 

Musically Skynyrd are superior. In song writing and ability. But for me Drive By Truckers lyrics, and the stories are way more exotic, and I guess resonate with me more.

Obviously it is subjective, and I appreciate my personal tastes are not always in line with the consensus. Drive by Truckers obviously agree with you by virtue of their song lyrics!

Edited by Seal
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Really good stuff. Thanks for the tip. I used in the live in Athens GA eons ago. They reminded me vaguely also of TBS: 

Something about the purity of their music and the once-in-a-century coming together of all these different eras and traditions and influences and even music production technology -- all those strands that Skynyrd seemed to capture. 

Ah that is cool. Great video and the lyrics are so great, at least in what I look for in words. Sounds like Beck mighta been listening to this when he wrote loser?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seal said:

I have yes and I love them (just to prove my credentials on this, I have written a novel of which Freebird is a major plot device, albeit the first scene was basically taken from situation in a DBT song - if you ever fancy reading lemme know, its nearing completion and could do with beta readers, listened to so much skynyrd when i was writing). However - I would always gravitate towards a best of Lynyrd Skynyrd. It just suits my taste more, maybe I find the more experimental stuff a little more in need of a deep listen, which also is not how I listen to music these days. That is on me. I think Drive by Truckers first five albums are also rammed with total classics also, and I think that Southern Rock Opera and The Dirty South are two of my favourite albums. Although that is also just my taste. 

Musically Skynyrd are superior. In song writing and ability. But for me Drive By Truckers lyrics, and the stories are way more exotic, and I guess resonate with me more.

Obviously it is subjective, and I appreciate my personal tastes are not always in line with the consensus. Drive by Truckers obviously agree with you by virtue of their song lyrics!

Oh well, you're never gonna survive unless

You go a little

Crazy

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Oh well, you're never gonna survive unless

You go a little

Crazy

spacer.png

That is the second time we have spoken and the second time you have said that and the second time I have had to bing what you meant. if anyone ever asks what our 'thing' is. it is that.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Seal said:

That is the second time we have spoken and the second time you have said that and the second time I have had to bing what you meant. if anyone ever asks what our 'thing' is. it is that.

So you’re not Seal the scar faced singer?

I am disappoint.

😟😀

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Seal said:

I wouldnt worry too much, tainted hearts, heal with time.

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â