What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

my mum ended up backstage with Slade - my dad went frackin' nuts

I distinctly remember there being 'atmosphere' the next day around a night out they'd had when I was a kid. It became a standing joke in the family, whenever it went quiet at a big family event my dad would just shout out 'what happened behind that door at Slade?' to which my mum would always respond 'I got you a poster didn't I?'

• Like 2

my dad would just shout out 'what happened behind that door at Slade?' to which my mum would always respond 'I got you a poster didn't I?'

She bought him a poster showing what happened behind the door?

• Like 1

Come to think of it, my little brother has sort of frizzy hair and whenever he walks into a room he shouts 'well aaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllright!'

I'll have to check what year that was.

• Like 2

My Dada really likes Slade (He has slept with all of them before you ask) so I've listened to a fair bit of their stuff since I was younger.

This is one I like -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RqStyCTXtA

• Like 1

We had lots of relatives in and around Stafford, lots of happy memories of staying up late at family parties, surrounded by what to me were Brummie accents and being allowed a beer with Slade being cranked up to 11.

• Like 1

The very definition of 'bravura' I think.

The change of pace at 1min 26sec, which builds the tension, is a classic soul trope, and I was amused to find it repeated in Adele's greatest hit ('I hate to turn up out of the blue uninvited...').

An homage if ever I heard one.

I'm going to go off slightly on a tangent, and this should maybe on the "Things That Piss You Off..." thread. If there's one thing that fills me with rage about these singing contests that they have on Saturday night TV (X Factor, The Voice etc), it's when some no mark comes on and sings a classic like this (especially when it's by someone with such an amazing gift of a voice, like Aretha or Otis for example), and the judges tell them they sang it better than the original.  

My Dada really likes Slade (He has slept with all of them before you ask) so I've listened to a fair bit of their stuff since I was younger.

This is one I like -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RqStyCTXtA

Noddy is one of the greatest shouters of all time.

Not quite as thrilling as Steve Marriott but right up there.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

The very definition of 'bravura' I think.

The change of pace at 1min 26sec, which builds the tension, is a classic soul trope, and I was amused to find it repeated in Adele's greatest hit ('I hate to turn up out of the blue uninvited...').

An homage if ever I heard one.

I'm going to go off slightly on a tangent, and this should maybe on the "Things That Piss You Off..." thread. If there's one thing that fills me with rage about these singing contests that they have on Saturday night TV (X Factor, The Voice etc), it's when some no mark comes on and sings a classic like this (especially when it's by someone with such an amazing gift of a voice, like Aretha or Otis for example), and the judges tell them they sang it better than the original.  

The thing I can't stand about so-called modern R&B is the over-production and over-use of melisma.

I blame Houston and the rest of the power-balladeers. 

Unfortunately it has become compulsory for all karaoke singers and is a blight on popular music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melisma

Edited by MakemineVanilla

80's production techniques ruined most R&B. "Thriller" is a great album, but "Bad" is awful, and it's all down to the brutal drum sound and clanging synth chords that had become the hallmark of so many other singers as well.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â