Strange Wifi Problem

mykeyb

I dunno if there are any in the true sense, are there, Simon? I've searched the internets and there were a handful for the old classic OS, but it doesn't say there are any for the current type of OS. There are certainly trojans and stuff like that - things where the user has to actively choose to give access or permissions to a thing for it to cause a problem. Of course people can be duped. And then there are exploit type concepts and stuff like the bash vulnerability.

They're not totally secure - no computer really is. But I have the understanding that linux and macs are less prone to being "infected" by nasties if the user is careful.

I know a long time ago something made google search go funny on a mac I had. Some internet page managed to make google search go to something I didn't search for. I think the offending thing was an ad for a so called mac cleaning tool, and just by being on a legitimate page I had read, it somehow affected google. That made me wary of even innocent pages and apps.

Where the heck did the viruses come from? if you get it from the writer (http://www.titanium.free.fr/) then it's not anything to do with Onyx.

Suspect the nasties are from somewhere or something else. Glad you found them. Maybe worth getting the free  Clamxav mac virus thingummy too to look for nasties.

I know it's a big thing to have to do, but I'd be tempted were it my mac to back up all my music and docs etc. and then do a clean install/upgrade. What version of the OS is it? That isn't probaly the most logical next step a advosor would say to do, but you'd know you had a clean mac as a start.

The versions that are (IMO) the best are snow leopard and then mavericks or yosemite, notwithstanding some people have a yosemite wifi issue as SImon said above, though 99%+ are fine.

if you're using older than snow leopard, then maybe the time has come to upgrade and have the better protection a later OS offers? 5+ year old OS's kind of need to be updated, really.

I'm running Snow Leopard. I use Bitdefender, which deleted the viruses straight away. I have tried different browsers, all basically the same speed. I have plenty of free disc space, and it ran fine when I had a different ISP last month. I can't help but think it's the ISP, but then why would my speeds be fine on my tablet but not my desktop...

It's possible that one explanation is that being an old Mac (and newer tablet?) and new router (I assume) that there's basically the router is sending wi-fi on two frequencies - the newer kit is using IEEE 802.11ac and the older kit is using 802.11n or 802.11g. It may be the route and newer kit can use the newer std of wi-fi which is much faster and also better for resistance to interference, but the old mac can't.

It's by no means sure, but it's a possibility. You'd need to look up the specs of the devices to find out.

Also the speed - I think the test browser used can make a difference on to the test results (but not the speed) on macs - try it with chrome, because the speed testers don't give accurate results with Firefox or Safari, apparently.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â