Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

I don’t read novels very often, but when you get introduced to a new character, I don’t understand the description of their physical appearance.

”He was short, slim and had brown bushy hair. His face was long and at the bottom of it were a pair of thin lips. He had caring brown eyes, but above them, there were a few long hairs where his eyebrows were supposed to be. His cheeks were..”

Who cares? I still can’t picture their face. Does it matter anyway? 

31 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I don’t read novels very often, but when you get introduced to a new character, I don’t understand the description of their physical appearance.

”He was short, slim and had brown bushy hair. His face was long and at the bottom of it were a pair of thin lips. He had caring brown eyes, but above them, there were a few long hairs where his eyebrows were supposed to be. His cheeks were..”

Who cares? I still can’t picture their face. Does it matter anyway? 

Oh, it does to me. Either don't describe them at all, and leave it totally to my imagination, OR give a detailed description. But do NOT belatedly describe their appearance several chapters in, after I've formed my own mental image (which may be utterly different). 

I often mentally 'cast' characters as broadly resembling particular film/TV actors, to help me picture them. 

Or if it's a historically-based book (fiction or nonfiction) featuring real people, I will sometimes print out a sheet of thumbnail portraits from the internet to use as a bookmark. 

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Eight quid a bar. 

Screenshot_2024-09-08-11-36-24-05_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

Might be one for the unpopular opinion thread, but chocolate should be expensive.

This one is incredibly expensive, but it's high quality, responsibly sourced, single origin chocolate, and tastes sublime.

Chocolate is much like coffee. Some people are more than happy with the cheap shit pumped (ha) out by conglomerates, paying their workers slave wages, but you can pay more, get a significantly better product, and not be voting for the scum with your wallet.

My threshold is a little bit lower than this, the chocolate I buy is about £4 a bar, so far more expensive than the high street brands, but I'd rather pay more and buy a better product less frequently.

If you can get a product picked, sorted, processed, packed and shipped across the world for pennies, someone is being exploited.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â