Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

4 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I don’t get how pessimists think they’re “realistic” about a future outcome , yet optimists are fully aware that they’re hopeful about the same outcome.  

Yet when it comes to luck, good things happen as much as bad things. So what makes the pessimist the realist and the optimist not? Or is the “realist” a whole different thing 

Surely the realist is the position in the middle of optimist and pessimist?

25 minutes ago, bickster said:

Surely the realist is the position in the middle of optimist and pessimist?

Yes it is, but not many pessimists call themselves that, whereas optimists are quite happy calling themselves optimists.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yes it is, but not many pessimists call themselves that, whereas optimists are quite happy calling themselves optimists.

They are all individuals.

10 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Account settings-ignored users-pick user to ignore ;)

Sorry, who said that?! (only joking Roberto lad, thank you sir)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Account settings-ignored users-pick user to ignore ;)

I've added a few, gone on the main forum, there's only about 16 posts left. Incredible work. 

• Haha 2

The cult of Clarkson

He's opened a new pub today near Burford. Chaos. 4 hour tailbacks, hundreds of people turned away! Why?! Its the same with his farm shop, and he's never there. Bonkers. 

• Like 2

Just now, Xela said:

The cult of Clarkson

He's opened a new pub today near Burford. Chaos. 4 hour tailbacks, hundreds of people turned away! Why?! Its the same with his farm shop, and he's never there. Bonkers. 

I think it's more on the gimps than Clarkson. 

24 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

How people can be so incurious about geography, particularly their nearby surroundings.  I've always loved maps and always want to see where things are and where I am in relation to other things on maps.   When I visit someplace new I'm almost always pulling up a map.

I had to drive almost 500 miles with my brother and spend a couple of days in a very small town in Wisconsin.  He was driving and had no clue and no interest in knowing which direction he was heading at any given moment.  He was happy to plug a destination into his GPS (SatNav) and just be told where to go.  Within a couple of hours of navigating this small town I didn't need a map to get anywhere.  He had no clue which direction to go from our motel to wherever we were headed.

My daughter is learning to drive and it does my head in to see her ignorance about how to get to places within a mile or two of us that she's been travelling to in a car for 16 years.  She'll ask which direction to go to get to somewhere next to where she had driven to a day earlier with me.  She doesn't know the names of major streets and intersections she passes through regularly.

Am I unusual in being geographically aware?

Non drivers do struggle to read streets like a driver does. So I’d give the kid a break whilst they are learning. But yeah, a driver with a level of experience really should have the skills to know which way is up or down or to be able to navigate themselves out of trouble should satnav not work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

How people can be so incurious about geography, particularly their nearby surroundings.  I've always loved maps and always want to see where things are and where I am in relation to other things on maps.   When I visit someplace new I'm almost always pulling up a map.

I had to drive almost 500 miles with my brother and spend a couple of days in a very small town in Wisconsin.  He was driving and had no clue and no interest in knowing which direction he was heading at any given moment.  He was happy to plug a destination into his GPS (SatNav) and just be told where to go.  Within a couple of hours of navigating this small town I didn't need a map to get anywhere.  He had no clue which direction to go from our motel to wherever we were headed.

My daughter is learning to drive and it does my head in to see her ignorance about how to get to places within a mile or two of us that she's been travelling to in a car for 16 years.  She'll ask which direction to go to get to somewhere next to where she had driven to a day earlier with me.  She doesn't know the names of major streets and intersections she passes through regularly.

100% this!

Maybe it's because I'm from a pre-satnav generation, but it exasperates me how reliant my daughters are on it. I use maps when planning a journey, and I like to haven a rough mental idea of where I am at any moment. 

2 hours ago, il_serpente said:

If you are unusual because of this then so am I 🍻

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Yes, yes, yes!

I went on a weekend away with the wife and some friends.  We had the most beautiful house, on a corner of the Thames, in the middle of the Cotswolds, we fished and everything!  (And I hadn't been fishing since I was about 7, caught 2 little perch!)

We had all seen Clarksons Farm and enjoyed it.

I KNEW during the weekend someone would say "shall we go to his shop?" And I also knew there would be a queue to get in and stuff.  So I work with a guy who lives in the Cotswolds and asked him about it beforehand.  He told me the shop would be busy, and his friends said the brewery wouldn't be.

So as soon as it was mentioned on the Fri afternoon when we'd all arrived, I said "I've already asked the question!". We went to the brewery, had a drink, enjoyed the bit of shop that was there and the Hawkstone beer is actually really, really good. I was a hero. 

"Great", I thought, now we can enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Saturday morning, 8am, around the breakfast table, everyone said "We may as well go to the farm!"

After a  30 min drive, we arrived at 10am because one of the girls had to "get ready" and I was fuming.  The farm shops own car park (now pretty big if you've watched the series) was full.  There was an overspill car park, managed by a third party events company, guiding you in.  

We waited, 2 **** hours to get into that **** farm shop.  2 **** HOURS.  Paid £8 for honey, about £50 for all the other shit the wife wanted and took a few photos.

So whilst I was one of many idiots waiting in that queue, the amount of Clarkson-ites... is so cringefully painful.  The amount of shit, tuned up cars screaming around, overweight beer, bellied, bald, middle-aged, thumb through the belt hoop on their straight cut jeans losers made me want to kill myself.  

The shop must be taking 10s of thousands of pounds everytime it's open.  It's absolutely insane.

I can only say, the guy is a genius.  It absolutely doesn't surprise me that his pub is going to absolutely make a killing.  How he does it, with his face like a melted jelly bean, I'll never know.  But the guy knows how to lasso losers and make them spend money, me being one of them, and I hate myself for it.

I like Clarkson, always have but I ain't gonna visit his farm or his shop. I have two of his books and I still watch old top gears. That's it for me

Dick pics

She's fit, I'd love to shag her*, I know what will make her feel exactly the same way, a picture of my dick

Not sure if men have become that stupid or women actually go for that, I'm guessing the former, when did that happen? Makes me glad that I'm old and married 

* But when did that happen too? Where guys purposefully just want a shag and done rather than trying to date a fit girl

• Like 2

11 hours ago, il_serpente said:

This is me. Even had a reputation for it on trips away with the lads. Crew Position - Navigator, which had the advantage of being the non-driver and front seat. Road trip around the SW USA, I used to look at the map in the morning and navigate without reference to it for the rest of the day. I guess it’s why I eventually ended up doing what I do now, it started as a joke and ended up as a career.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â