Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, rjw63 said:

The main forum.

Absolutely spammed with the same handful of posters who seem to think they know better than everyone.

I'm keeping clear :hooray:

Needed a gif or two for extra ‘expertise’ and humour 😬

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, rjw63 said:

The main forum.

Absolutely spammed with the same handful of posters who seem to think they know better than everyone.

I did see a post saying it's possible to block people's posts, is that true? I couldn't find it but I'd be happy to swerve a few of the regular culprits if I could.

(Not you Roberto, you big old randy dog)

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, rjw63 said:

The main forum.

for some it's just comes naturally to be negative. i would wager that 99% of them are glass half empty in most aspects of their lives. the dortmund match thread was so depressing. so in keeping with the topic of this thread, i really don't get how people have such a negative outlook of all aspects of life. they must be miserable

(i'm excluding those with actual mental illnesses of course and referring only to those of otherwise sound mind)

• Like 2

On 04/08/2024 at 13:46, AndyM3000 said:

On the pet subject I'll go with having an indoor cat, especially when you live in a flat. 

i'm the opposite. i don't get why people let their cats roam free, especially when living near a main road. i see posts on community FB groups daily about how their cat's gone missing or been hit by a car. but i guess i speak as someone who's cat once went missing and we found her dead in a bush a week later...the smell of her week old corpse being my last memory of her. never again.

ours is an indoor cat in a 1 bed flat and she's the happiest girl you'd meet (we do have a small balcony she can go out on to though which helps)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tomav84 said:

i'm the opposite. i don't get why people let their cats roam free, especially when living near a main road. i see posts on community FB groups daily about how their cat's gone missing or been hit by a car. but i guess i speak as someone who's cat once went missing and we found her dead in a bush a week later...the smell of her week old corpse being my last memory of her. never again.

ours is an indoor cat in a 1 bed flat and she's the happiest girl you'd meet (we do have a small balcony she can go out on to though which helps)

As happy as your cat is, I’m sure she’d be happier being able to hunt and have a little prowl around some grass. (Not knocking you keeping her indoors, it’s better that than her not having a home, obviously!) I just think that’s what cats want to do.

I’ve always had outdoor cats, and of 4 over 37 years only one got lost (and he was really old, so we figured he probably just went off to curl up and die, like they sometimes do). The others all died of things like tumours and nothing to do with roads.

Funnily enough, after we lost our last cat last year, my wife got us 2 Siamese cats. Neither of us realised at the time that if we let them out, they will almost certainly get stolen (they’re super friendly, so would go to anyone), so these are now indoor cats, and I’ve spent the last few weeks building a sodding 9ft x 6ft ‘Catio’ 😖 for them to regularly go outside.

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

As happy as your cat is, I’m sure she’d be happier being able to hunt and have a little prowl around some grass. (Not knocking you keeping her indoors, it’s better that than her not having a home, obviously!) I just think that’s what cats want to do.

I’ve always had outdoor cats, and of 4 over 37 years only one got lost (and he was really old, so we figured he probably just went off to curl up and die, like they sometimes do). The others all died of things like tumours and nothing to do with roads.

Funnily enough, after we lost our last cat last year, my wife got us 2 Siamese cats. Neither of us realised at the time that if we let them out, they will almost certainly get stolen (they’re super friendly, so would go to anyone), so these are now indoor cats, and I’ve spent the last few weeks building a sodding 9ft x 6ft ‘Catio’ 😖 for them to regularly go outside.

yeah when we buy a house we're 100% doing this

with ours, we've had her since she was a kitten so she's never felt the grass under her feet and doesn't know what she's missing!

10 hours ago, T-Dog said:

I did see a post saying it's possible to block people's posts, is that true? I couldn't find it but I'd be happy to swerve a few of the regular culprits if I could.

(Not you Roberto, you big old randy dog)

Yeah you can put posters on ignore. My list is surprisingly low but it’ll be added to pretty soon 😂

• Like 2

21 hours ago, rjw63 said:

The main forum.

Half the threads in there seem to just be a couple of posters spending their entire day on "X" and copy and pasting absolutely anything villa related directly into threads.

It's like a race to see who can post them first.

I've had to block a couple of posters just to stop VT looking like a Twitter reproduction

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tomav84 said:

I might not be giving cats enough credit, but how to do you stop her jumping off the balcony? Or just escaping in general from there?

19 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Yeah you can put posters on ignore. My list is surprisingly low but it’ll be added to pretty soon 😂

Hmmm, how do you do such magic? I can't see ignore option anywhere....

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I might not be giving cats enough credit, but how to do you stop her jumping off the balcony? Or just escaping in general from there?

chicken wire :)

it's ideal...she can spend time outside taking in the various sounds and smells but we know she's safe

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

Hmmm, how do you do such magic? I can't see ignore option anywhere....

Account settings-ignored users-pick user to ignore ;)

Talk about Gonorrhoea becoming untreatable.

What a load of nonsense.  Just inject a bit of mercury into the old fella and you'll be right as rain.

43 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Talk about Gonorrhoea becoming untreatable.

What a load of nonsense.  Just inject a bit of mercury into the old fella and you'll be right as rain.

Audio equipment, Microphone, Entertainment, Event, Music, Performing arts, Electronic device, Music artist, Artist, Pop music,

• Haha 1

I don’t get how pessimists think they’re “realistic” about a future outcome , yet optimists are fully aware that they’re hopeful about the same outcome.  

Yet when it comes to luck, good things happen as much as bad things. So what makes the pessimist the realist and the optimist not? Or is the “realist” a whole different thing 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I don’t get how Pessimists think they’re “realistic” about a future outcome , yet optimists are fully aware that they’re hopeful about the same outcome.  

Yet, when it comes to luck, good things happen as much as bad things. So what makes the pessimist the realist and the optimist not? Or is the “realist” a whole different thing

The way I see it, no-one wants to be seen/labelled as a pessimist and very few people will willingly identify as one. So they would rather call themselves realists. The optimist, by virtue of being optimistic, would probably admit that the outcome they're looking for is less likely than other outcomes. Not impossible, but less likely. So in that sense the pessimist could be described as being 'more realistic' than the optimist. But they are also probably aware deep down that they are being a miserable sod. They just don't want to admit it out loud.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â