Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Sorry to have dragged football talk in here, chaps. :(

dont-be-sorry-be-better.gif

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

People in OnTopic who seem obsessed with the minutiae of transfer fees. Getting angry if we supposedly pay 'too much' for a player, or don't get as much from a sale as they think we should. 

I honestly don't give a toss about any of that stuff. I just want to see what squad we end up with, and watch them playing football. I don't think any of the Football Manager players on VT have the tiniest fraction of the knowledge of Emery, Monchi, and their team. 

Transfers have become more important than the actual football for some people. It's where they get their enjoyment. Constant churn of players are needed to keep progressing and interesting. 

I'm interested in who we sign, but i'm a novice compared to some. 

5 hours ago, Xela said:

Transfers have become more important than the actual football for some people. It's where they get their enjoyment. Constant churn of players are needed to keep progressing and interesting. 

I'm interested in who we sign, but i'm a novice compared to some. 

Not a novice mate, I totally get you.

You're a football fan, not an accounting and VAR rulebook fan.

There's some AMAZING folks on here that post the things that matter for us oldskool fans, the accountants that matter. Most of OnTopic (sadly) is full of people pretending to know the situation without knowing anything at all.

I suppose people of our age grew up seeing £1.5m transfers and going "SHIT THAT'S A LOT OF MONEY", and that was before the rules changed, the rules got breached, FIFA had the impact that it did (the game, not the crooks), PSR. FFP, B&Q, B&M, M&Ms, Eminem, all the football destroyers.

I'm happy to sound old - but the game has changed since we all fell in love with it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe because it's not really a thing over here, but you see references to them online and in movies, but I really don't get Home Owner Associations.

From what I can tell they involve having to pay money to a group of my neighbours, who then tell me what I can and can't do with my own home, such as what colour i can paint it or how long my grass must be kept and if I fall foul of these arbitrary rules, they can issue me a fine.

Seems nuts and completely opposite of 'land of the free' type thinking. 

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Maybe because it's not really a thing over here, but you see references to them online and in movies, but I really don't get Home Owner Associations.

From what I can tell they involve having to pay money to a group of my neighbours, who then tell me what I can and can't do with my own home, such as what colour i can paint it or how long my grass must be kept and if I fall foul of these arbitrary rules, they can issue me a fine.

Is that not like our Housing Associations, or more like Bournville Village Trust. 

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Never personally encountered one in my 58 years but know people who live in places that have them. Maybe I just can’t afford those kind of neighborhoods 🤣 Joking aside, my wife and I would never, ever consider buying a home that requires HMA membership. Absolutely not the kind of places I want to live 

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan

If you live in a condominium complex you pretty much have to have an HOA.   There are jointly owned common areas and facilities that need to be maintained, such as landscaping, driveways, possibly building systems, physical structures, swimming pools, etc.  If you have a competent board and management company, a condo HOA is a good thing, not a bad thing.  Unfortunately, a lot of them aren’t competently managed, so you have to check it out carefully before buying into a complex.

Housing developments with single-family homes may also have commonly owned features that need to be managed, but I think their purposes tend to be more focused on maintaining a consistent look/feel to the community and ostensibly preserving property values.  This is where you’re much more likely to be at the mercy of opinionated, tyrannical busybodies who enjoy telling you what to do.  It’s one thing to ensure the neighborhood isn’t blighted by people constantly having cars up on jacks in their driveway or yard and another thing entirely to tell you that you painted your house the wrong shade of beige and you have to redo it.

10 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Housing developments with single-family homes may also have commonly owned features that need to be managed, but I think their purposes tend to be more focused on maintaining a consistent look/feel to the community and ostensibly preserving property values.  This is where you’re much more likely to be at the mercy of opinionated, tyrannical busybodies who enjoy telling you what to do.  

Makes me immediately think of the neighbor in Bad Santa who makes everyone conform to the “candle in paper bag” lighting thing 🤣

Oh we definitely have these kind of places with these kinds of people. I have had to deal with many of them down the years. 

Usually management committee for blocks of flats or micro communities. Power gone to the head busy bodies for sure. 

9 hours ago, il_serpente said:

It’s one thing to ensure the neighborhood isn’t blighted by people constantly having cars up on jacks in their driveway or yard and another thing entirely to tell you that you painted your house the wrong shade of beige and you have to redo it.

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

Oh we definitely have these kind of places with these kinds of people. I have had to deal with many of them down the years. 

Usually management committee for blocks of flats or micro communities. Power gone to the head busy bodies for sure. 

I've never lived in a block of flats over here (apart university owned ones), so never come across this. 

For shared spaces it makes some sense.

But some random dude up the road getting to decide how my house looks, so that it's conforming with and looking exactly the same as every other house on the street, that's a new one on me.

Pushchairs for dogs what the hell is that all about?

Now, i get it if the dog is ill, had an operation or maybe is old and struggles to get about

I'm seeing more and more of them about where they are being used for smaller type of dogs. They can't all be ill or old.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Hmmm. OK for the last year of her life my dog was in a pushchair. She didn’t walk well at all and I like a pin so it was a case of what do I do. I still miss that little fur baby. 

• Like 1

yeah, as i mentioned i get it for many who have dogs with health problems, age etc but there seem to be so many nowadays who are just using them for the sake of it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bickster said:

Prams for Dogs is a great band name though :D 

Unless they're a punk band, then it's Prams for Rabid Dogs. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â