Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

On 12/07/2024 at 22:13, HKP90 said:

One thing I don't get: Branding of shower gel. 

There are all sorts of 'botanicals', 'black pepper and ginseng', 'orange blossom' etc etc. 

99.99% of people who buy shower gel use only one rule- Is it for a girl? Then it needs to be opaque and a pastel colour. Is it for a boy? Then it needs to be a dark colour and see-through.

See also: "day time" and "night time" moisturiser.  Does the presence of the moon or the sun in the sky require vastly different ingredients?  The nomenclature for men's vs women's products is also a source of mild amusement, I am presently in possession of a moisturiser called WAR PAINT, because heaven forfend the softness of my skin could compromise my ability to tear off that of my enemies.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Yeah, but not blocking them, so I can keep reporting them. Currently marking them as a) spam and b) AI generated, as I'm not really sure how to categorise them. If you have a suggestion for better marking, I'm all ears.

I don't use Facebook as a social platform.

30 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

I feel like there's been a noticeable scale-back in the effects of this over the last couple of years.

A disappointing scale-back.

I've posted (probably in the Piss You Off thread) about how almost all shower gels have been noticeably diluted lately (the only one I could find which seemed to be still concentrated was Pears). Shrinkflation.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

See also: "day time" and "night time" moisturiser.  Does the presence of the moon or the sun in the sky require vastly different ingredients?  The nomenclature for men's vs women's products is also a source of mild amusement, I am presently in possession of a moisturiser called WAR PAINT, because heaven forfend the softness of my skin could compromise my ability to tear off that of my enemies.

The whole cosmetics/'skin care' industry is a scam. 

• Like 2

There was a sweet spot in time where I thought ‘equality’ would mean wimmins had to worry less about eyebrows and conditioner and Botox and looking acceptable to some contrived abnormal norm.

I did not see equality arriving via men being worried about moisturiser and conditioner, eyebrow line, lip gloss, piercings, and looking acceptable to some contrived abnormal norm.

We missed a chance.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

tell that to my mrs. 

I've got to convince mine first. 

Mind you, she's nothing compared to my mate's wife, who regularly buys the mega-expensive stuff. 

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I've got to convince mine first. 

Mind you, she's nothing compared to my mate's wife, who regularly buys the mega-expensive stuff. 

It's the worst when they come back from some sort of a cosmetic treatment and you don't notice (they look exactly the same). 

I hope it's a long term game of ''mummification'' - put in the effort and money now and look great at 60. 

I love that women pay so much money for a haircut.

”Have you bought more records?”

”How much does a haircut cost you?”

Everyone’s a winner!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

I love that women pay so much money for a haircut.

”Have you bought more records?”

”How much does a haircut cost you?”

Everyone’s a winner!

Best if they're the shoe-collecting type. 

Actual conversation: 

"You don't need another guitar - you can only play one at time". 

"Yeah, you can only wear one pair of shoes at a time, but it doesn't stop you from buying them, does it?" 

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

The whole cosmetics/'skin care' industry is a scam. 

Yeah, a lot of smooth operators. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It's the worst when they come back from some sort of a cosmetic treatment and you don't notice (they look exactly the same). 

I hope it's a long term game of ''mummification'' - put in the effort and money now and look great at 60. 

My cousins wife (he's loaded) is having loads of plastic surgery in her 40s. You're not allowed to tell her she looks fine as she is as it makes her feel more comfortable with herself. 

I'd hate to have these conversations about whether I need something or can justify buying it.

There are a couple of married blokes I work with who are constantly amazed that I will just buy an expensive bottle of whiskey or tickets to a gig because they'd need to check with their partner. Living like I have to justify that kind of thing would be a very quick way for us to separate, I think.

We each stick an equal amount in our fun budget, no judgement, no questions asked. Mine goes on expensive booze and gigs, hers tends to go on spa visits and miscellaneous tat. Enough in the joint account for house stuff, child stuff, food and other bills, but our fun money is our own.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

We each stick an equal amount in our fun budget, no judgement, no questions asked. 

She might not be so easy going if she found out about the cocaine and hookers. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd hate to have these conversations about whether I need something or can justify buying it.

There are a couple of married blokes I work with who are constantly amazed that I will just buy an expensive bottle of whiskey or tickets to a gig because they'd need to check with their partner. Living like I have to justify that kind of thing would be a very quick way for us to separate, I think.

We each stick an equal amount in our fun budget, no judgement, no questions asked. Mine goes on expensive booze and gigs, hers tends to go on spa visits and miscellaneous tat. Enough in the joint account for house stuff, child stuff, food and other bills, but our fun money is our own.

Yup, that's the worst - asking 'permission' from a partner.

I do a yearly extended weekend trip with some friends and it's never a case of 'can I go?' but more like 'we have this thing, what's your schedule, what can we do to make it work around school runs etc'. 

I know some people who are set strict rules about what they can or can't do. 

The hippy deodorant we were using went up to £11 a jar, which is laughable.

We're making our own now. 

This concoction from Zero Waste Scotland is easier than most Blue Peter projects.

How to make homemade deodorant

Prep time: 10 mins
Makes around 125ml, or about three months’ supply

Ingredients

6 tbsp coconut oil
3 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
3 tbsp cornflour or arrowroot powder
Around a dozen drops of the essential oil of your choice

Method

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Oh, absolutely. My thing about the guitars and shoes was just banter - we both buy whatever want, no 'permissions' needed. Which, to be fair, is always well within our budget. I think the real danger would be if one of us had, say, a secret drug or gambling addiction. Which ain't gonna happen. 

• Like 1

I think there is a world of difference between communicating and asking permission.

It’s obviously right in a relationship to communicate. Sometimes that’s months of ground work suggesting there is a £500 lads weekend coming up, sometimes its sticking a picture of a guitar case on messenger with the message ‘ooops’.

Sometimes it’s parking her in Waterstones and saying stay here until I come back, I’m not doing nuffink.

Or it could be justifying and discussing why you need the new car that’s £10k more of the two cars you’re considering.

’Permission’ is very negative and suggests people need to get their shit together.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I think it comes down to cost or size of the purchase for my wife and I.

I'll buy expensive wine or whiskey without telling my wife, but if it's something major (I recently spent £4.5k on something), then I'd tell her beforehand.

It's not asking for permission but being open, honest, and offering her the chance to query, suggest a 2nd opinion or remind me that we might actually need that money for the new bathroom or whatever.

I dont need her permission, we have a joint account but have our own savings too. However, she's my partner in life, and I'd want her on board and comfortable for something big, as we're a team.

I saw my Dad come home with a brand new motorbike without telling my Mum beforehand, and them arguing and then my Mum buying a new dog. They were never a team, working together and it fed into their divorce. 

I'd expect the same from my wife, spend her own money, without my permission but at least keep me in the loop.

5 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

I feel like there's been a noticeable scale-back in the effects of this over the last couple of years.

A disappointing scale-back.

My friend, you’ve developed a tolerance. You’re gonna have to start shooting up 🤣

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â