Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

One thing I don't get: Branding of shower gel. 

There are all sorts of 'botanicals', 'black pepper and ginseng', 'orange blossom' etc etc. 

99.99% of people who buy shower gel use only one rule- Is it for a girl? Then it needs to be opaque and a pastel colour. Is it for a boy? Then it needs to be a dark colour and see-through.

Mint and tea tree shower gel FTW

Makes your bum hole and knob end tingle. 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xela said:

First time I used that stuff, no one had told me that would happen. I thought I was f***ing dying.

8 hours ago, HKP90 said:

One thing I don't get: shower gel. 

FTFY.

I'm convinced someone at a soap company said, "We'd make more money if people used up their soap faster.   How about we liquify it so they end up having to use more of it, and then convince people it's some great innovation that they really need so they'll alsos pay more for it?"

Bar soap FTW

• Like 2

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

FTFY.

I'm convinced someone at a soap company said, "We'd make more money if people used up their soap faster.   How about we liquify it so they end up having to use more of it, and then convince people it's some great innovation that they really need so they'll alsos pay more for it?"

Bar soap FTW

Not to mention the tons of plastic. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Xela said:

I mate was asking where you can buy this. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Not to mention the tons of plastic. 

I buy mine as a refill at the local cobbler while I wait for Smol to make a tablet version.

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

I mate was asking where you can buy this. 

Any good supermarket and plenty of bad ones

71p-QA91t-NML-AC-SL1000.jpg

Posted (edited)

This one is less of a "Why do people like to do this bizarre thing?" vent, and more of a "They do this to make money, but I can't work out how, or they do it to launder what is going to become a spam profile, but it's basically spam anyway" question looking for an answer.

So, on Facebook, I'm getting a huge amount of posts in my (algorithm driven) feed, that are clips of random films, from odd accounts, with "Movies Netflix 2024" as the only text, apart from they often have loads of hashtags for some reason. I thought hashtags were a twitter/instagram thing...

For example:

3zGp0ZI.png

There are loads of different accounts doing it, but this one is from this account. 

hYOKrMj.png

No other description.

Any ideas VT hivemind?

Edit: More

iCu5sIm.png

QYZ7gJu.png

Edited by Anthony
more

1 minute ago, Anthony said:

This one is less of a "Why do people like to do this bizarre thing?" vent, and more of a "They do this to make money, but I can't work out how, or they do it to launder what is going to become a spam profile, but it's basically spam anyway" question looking for an answer.

So, on Facebook, I'm getting a huge amount of posts in my (algorithm driven) feed, that are clips of random films, from odd accounts, with "Movies Netflix 2024" as the only text, apart from they often have loads of hashtags for some reason. I thought hashtags were a twitter/instagram thing...

For example:

There are loads of different accounts doing it, but this one is from this account

No other description.

Any ideas VT hivemind?

It's a scam to build followers and then rename / sell the account. It's been happening since the early days, just with a new gimmick.

4 minutes ago, limpid said:

It's a scam to build followers and then rename / sell the account. It's been happening since the early days, just with a new gimmick.

That's the puzzle though. What they're posting IS spam. It's utterly worthless 'content'. I guess FB haven't worked it out yet.

On a similar theme, these FB scammers that post comments like: "I really enjoy your posts and I'd like to get to know you better. I've tried sending you a friend request but it hasn't gone through. Message me", etc. 

I do wonder what the actual scam is, and who is behind it, but what gets me most is how unconvincing they are. If they just hit one commenter on each thread and make it look personalised, they might catch the occasional gullible sucker - but they tend to hit every single comment with the same schtick, which kind of gives the game away. 

30 minutes ago, Anthony said:

That's the puzzle though. What they're posting IS spam. It's utterly worthless 'content'. I guess FB haven't worked it out yet.

They are sending these because some people will like/follow as they like the movie and the algorithm does the rest. I don't think these are spam. The scam is that they will re-brand it later.

Are you reporting these when you see them?

22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

On a similar theme, these FB scammers that post comments like: "I really enjoy your posts and I'd like to get to know you better. I've tried sending you a friend request but it hasn't gone through. Message me", etc. 

I do wonder what the actual scam is, and who is behind it, but what gets me most is how unconvincing they are. If they just hit one commenter on each thread and make it look personalised, they might catch the occasional gullible sucker - but they tend to hit every single comment with the same schtick, which kind of gives the game away. 

Pig butchers I suspect. They are looking for gullible people so the scam is obvious. Anyone that then falls for it is likely to be victim material.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I guess it's a bit like the spam emails with all the poor grammar and spelling mistakes. They don't want intelligent people responding and wasting their time; they want to filter them out early. With the thing you mentioned, for every thousand they do, if only one or two gullible/too trusting people take them up, that's all they need.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

They are sending these because some people will like/follow as they like the movie and the algorithm does the rest. I don't think these are spam. The scam is that they will re-brand it later.

Are you reporting these when you see them?

Yeah, but not blocking them, so I can keep reporting them. Currently marking them as a) spam and b) AI generated, as I'm not really sure how to categorise them. If you have a suggestion for better marking, I'm all ears.

On 12/07/2024 at 22:17, Xela said:

I feel like there's been a noticeable scale-back in the effects of this over the last couple of years.

A disappointing scale-back.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â