Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

3 hours ago, rjw63 said:

All These Things I’ve Done is a far better track.

The first album is pretty stacked with cracking tunes and then they absolutely fell off a cliff.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

I could live to be 1,000 and I would still never get why that Killers song- you know the one- is so iconic/beloved/seemingly ubiquitous in 🇬🇧

It's a fairly well written song that's quite catchy, and that's about it. It's odd how, so often, songs that are so whoppingly ordinary are catapulted into the stratosphere (*cough* Taylor Swift *cough*).

The many years of having to play Mr Brightside and others hits of that ilk in various wedding/function bands have made me **** hate it.

13 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Is this that Brightside thing? I've heard of it, but I can't say I've ever actually heard it. 

I'd have thought it's physically impossible to avoid that song for the past 21 years, especially as someone who consumes so much music and is 'in' that world. It was absolutely everywhere back then.

I really like Mr Brightside, I don't care much for The Killers, and not a fan of their other songs but for some reason I like Mr Brightside a lot. I like the lyrics. Already I can feel the judgement, but I stress, I am not a fan of the killers.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I'd have thought it's physically impossible to avoid that song for the past 21 years, especially as someone who consumes so much music and is 'in' that world. It was absolutely everywhere back then.

I'm not in that world. I only consume music that I select myself, or is recommended by like-minded friends. I never listen to pop radio, I turn the sound off on TV ad breaks, etc. 

I'm familiar with both the name of the band and the name of the song, and yes, it quite possible that I have heard it. But if I have, it's made absolutely no impression. Don't know any of the words, couldn't hum the tune. 

The same applies to literally hundreds of apparently ubiquitous records of the last thirty years or more. Taylor Swift, Eminem, Arctic Monkeys, Kanye West, Metallica - you name them - not a clue. Surely my pop culture ignorance is enough of a VT meme by now? 

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Surely my pop culture ignorance is enough of a VT meme by now? 

Oh it is, but I thought with this song even by your standards, pop cultural osmosis would have got you :)

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, BOF said:

Oh it is, but I thought with this song even by your standards, pop cultural osmosis would have got you :)

Hang, I'm going to go and listen to it now.  brb 

EDIT: Yep, that was completely unfamiliar (although it does sound like hundreds of similar things). Inoffensive enough, but does nothing for me. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Haha 1

Perhaps one for the Cost of Living thread, but I don’t understand how 2 parents do full time jobs and school pick-ups and drop-offs without the support of grandparents. I’m currently looking at doing a 7-2 shift at work, then driving to pick up the kids at 3, get them home, do dinner, feed them, and then probably log back in for work for my remaining 2 hours (at home) when my wife gets home around 5.30-6. Considering I’ll be waking up around 5.15-5.30am, to get ready and drive to Brum, I can only assume I’ll be dead in a year or 2.

39 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Surely my pop culture ignorance is enough of a VT meme by now? 

8wpfbw.jpg

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Perhaps one for the Cost of Living thread, but I don’t understand how 2 parents do full time jobs and school pick-ups and drop-offs without the support of grandparents. I’m currently looking at doing a 7-2 shift at work, then driving to pick up the kids at 3, get them home, do dinner, feed them, and then probably log back in for work for my remaining 2 hours (at home) when my wife gets home around 5.30-6. Considering I’ll be waking up around 5.15-5.30am, to get ready and drive to Brum, I can only assume I’ll be dead in a year or 2.

We had that problem, but of course no WFH in those days. So we had to pay a childminder. Which basically meant my missus was working for nothing. 

Our kids don't have that problem, as they have us. 

I like the singles off the first two killers albums. I like them insofar that I won’t switch them off if they come on the radio.

I think Mr B’s success is in part because the verse is probably equally as catchy as the chorus. Blokey singalong pub tune. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

We had that problem, but of course no WFH in those days. So we had to pay a childminder. Which basically meant my missus was working for nothing. 

Our kids don't have that problem, as they have us. 

Are childminders a thing nowadays? I feel like I haven’t heard of them since I was young myself 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

The Killers is a really old song?

...Where has my life gone

Nearly 22 year's old. Not exactly a new release.

41 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Are childminders a thing nowadays? I feel like I haven’t heard of them since I was young myself 

My mum was a childminder when I was young. A lot have stopped doing it as they now have to register with OFSTED and educate kid's the same as nursuries do, not just look after them.

• Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

Just now, Rds1983 said:

Nearly 22 year's old. Not exactly a new release.

If you could back the **** off and stop trying to trigger a mid-life crisis, that'd be grand :D 

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

If you could back the **** off and stop trying to trigger a mid-life crisis, that'd be grand :D 

Shame, I was going to add that to we're as close to the year 2045, as we are to when that song came out. 

If it helps, I'm feeling exactly the same as that song always makes me think of the girlfriend I had as a teenager and split up with around when it was released. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

My mum was a childminder when I was young. A lot have stopped doing it as they now have to register with OFSTED and educate kid's the same as nursuries do, not just look after them.

Thanks. Yeah I remember going to a childminder myself, and I have a vague memory of just watching tv with a bunch of other kids, and occasionally running riot in their garden. I can get my kids to do that in my own house, I just don’t think they’d survive very long 

One thing I don't get: Branding of shower gel. 

There are all sorts of 'botanicals', 'black pepper and ginseng', 'orange blossom' etc etc. 

99.99% of people who buy shower gel use only one rule- Is it for a girl? Then it needs to be opaque and a pastel colour. Is it for a boy? Then it needs to be a dark colour and see-through.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â