Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

On 17/06/2024 at 15:35, BOF said:

We used to have 'Dead Slow' outside a graveyard over here. Always made me laugh. Then they changed it :(

Old post - with Google map

Reminds me of when my dad used to always say the graveyard in the village we visit in Ireland was the "Dead centre of the village"

I reckon I was about 26 before I realised that was a joke

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Reminds me of when my dad used to always say the graveyard in the village we visit in Ireland was the "Dead centre of the village"

I reckon I was about 26 before I realised that was a joke

When driving past a cemetery my ex-girlfriend would always say, “people are dying to get in there.”

34 years later I still repeat her 😜

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The wordle thread

I think that thing kept me entertained for a few minutes here and there for about a month while we were all locked inside, always surprises me that people still do it every day

20 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think that thing kept me entertained for a few minutes here and there for about a month while we were all locked inside, always surprises me that people still do it every day

Oh I love the game. I play it every day.

I'm not sure what benefit anyone is getting from posting their results in there though. But fair play to them

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Oh I love the game. I play it every day.

I'm not sure what benefit anyone is getting from posting their results in there though. But fair play to them

At 233 pages it is by far and away the longest thread that I have ever started and am deeply upset that you don't see it's value to the forum.

The fact that I haven't posted in it since about page 5 is besides the point. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The wordle thread

I’ve not posted in there recently, despite doing wordle every day. It was just a little routine. Wake up, do wordle, open VT, paste result, read new VT posts for a bit, do a couple of other games on the iPad, then get up. I stopped because it had tailed off, with hardly anyone posting in there.

People starting social media channels to post them making fast food with a go pro round their neck.

First there was that spud bloke, then there were another few spud blokes, now I've seen a bloke in an ice cream van.

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

There’s a handful of members that mostly exist in “Off Topic” 

How do you guys end up at a football forum and talk more about other stuff than football? 

I spend far more time in off topic than on topic, though by no means exclusively. 

Came for the footy and realised the more sensible people people are in off topic. Generally on topic can get a bit silly. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I spend far more time in off topic than on topic, though by no means exclusively. 

Came for the footy and realised the more sensible people people are in off topic. Generally on topic can get a bit silly. 

I get that. The main football boards do get rather pantomime like in its expression. 

I see you across the whole site, but there’s some users I only ever see in here and it’s kind of odd to my brain, that football isn’t their main enjoyment of the site 

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

My hope for the next 20 years is that at some point there's no further need to discuss the badge :) 

I love badge chats 😂 but that’s me being an advertiser/branding/graphics guy. 

the odd thing. People who hate any badge now, probably love it in 20 years time. 

12 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

......... there’s some users I only ever see in here and it’s kind of odd to my brain, that football isn’t their main enjoyment of the site 

I occasionally post in "Other Football" and rarely post in " Villa Talk".  

In my opinion there is a lot of over reaction and hysteria in the Villa Talk threads. The regulars in "Off Topic" tend to be more balanced and less emotive when posting. 

I have no wish to waste my time trying to explain that an heavy opening day defeat isn't reason to sack the manager and brace for relegation.  I'd rather post in topics where the replies educate me or give me amusement. 

I enjoy football. I just don't necessarily enjoy posting about it. 

• Like 2

Randy losing interest after the global financial crash was the start of a period of stagnation at the top.

The owners didn't care, we could row about it all we liked. Became numb to it all.

Then over time real life stuff drops. What really matters changes.

Though it's been fun watching Villa rise in the background.

The narrow escape from the Championship before the parachute payments ended, then swerving relegation and then getting CL?

It's all good.

• Like 2

Â