Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Haha three little words is hilariously stupid. It’s an idea that doesn’t really take into account peoples accents and language levels, not only that it doesn’t link the square to an actual address. That there is a legal problem with what constitutes a pick-up location with regards to statutory requirements to record bookings. It's also impossible to decide which is and isn’t a viable location for pickup in a built up area. It’s a long way off being actually useful. If it could translate the three words to an actual address I could make 30 staff redundant tomorrow and switch everything to voice recognition.

It's really good for text communication. but I agree that it is terrible verbally.

We use it to assist in finding delivery points, but our legal requirement is still to deliver to the specified address.

5 minutes ago, limpid said:

It's really good for text communication. but I agree that it is terrible verbally.

We use it to assist in finding delivery points, but our legal requirement is still to deliver to the specified address.

Is that a legal requirement that involves regular searches by council officials and police officers permited by statutory instruments? Or is it just a legal requirement to just deliver something as part of a contract. Substantially different hurdles

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Is that a legal requirement that involves regular searches by council officials and police officers permited by statutory instruments? Or is it just a legal requirement to just deliver something as part of a contract. Substantially different hurdles

Both, but almost always the latter.

Following on from another thread, crap chippies. 

I went on an extensive search after my regular chippy got taken over and got ruined.  Took me a couple of years and rotating round several chippies before I landed on Dovehouse in Solihull. 

How is it possible to make such bad chips and so many places to be bad.  Who actually goes to these places and gives them custom? 

I'm beginning to think many people don't actually buy the chips and they sell more kebabs and stuff nowadays. 

Some of them I never tried again, some I stuck with a while to get a long view.  One of the most inconsistent but still overall poor is Seaspray in Shirley.  Occasionally good but most of the time terrible yet it's a massive chippy with loads of custom.

I just wish I lived near enough to Dad's Lane Chippy and my old schoolmate Petros.   That's always been great. 

Edited by sidcow

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Following on from another thread, crap chippies. 

I went on an extensive search after my regular chippy got taken over and got ruined.  Took me a couple of years and rotating round several chippies before I landed on Dovehouse in Solihull. 

How is it possible to make such bad chips and so many places to be bad.  Who actually goes to these places and gives them custom? 

I'm beginning to think many people don't actually buy the chips and they sell more kebabs and stuff nowadays. 

Some of them I never tried again, some I stuck with a while to get a long view.  One of the most inconsistent but still overall poor is Seaspray in Shirley.  Occasionally good but most of the time terrible yet it's a massive chippy with loads of custom.

I just wish I lived near enough to Dad's Lane Chippy and my old schoolmate Petros.   That's always been great. 

I totally gave up chippys when living in Manchester. Pointless. Then I gave up everywhere that’s not battered chips. Just helps to almost guarantee a certain level. The amount of bad chippys, as you say, is almost unbelievable.

• Like 1

Sometimes the best chippies turn out to be the unlikely ones. We've been taking the grandkids to a park/playground down by the river in Ilkley, and there's a fish and chips 'kiosk' nearby. It's top notch, absolutely the best I've tasted for years. 

• Like 1

Best chips are done in beef dripping (kw)

The very best i've ever had in Brum was the Great British Eatery, located in Broadway Plaza (Five Ways). Sensational food. Used to go every Friday when my office was based around there. Unfortunately it all went pear shaped...

The owners of an award-winning Birmingham fish and chip shop have revealed how their company crashed with debts of more than £200,000 after they became unwittingly entangled in an international share fraud.

Conrad Brunton and Andy Insley finally pulled the plug on the Great British Eatery, named England’s best chippy in 2010, in the face of spiralling unpaid bills.

The duo disclosed how they were arrested by police fraud investigators before being exonerated

https://www.business-live.co.uk/economic-development/share-fraud-helped-destroy-birmingham-3916807

Was sat opposite a young couple on the train to London from Oxford recently.

The girl was of SE Asian extraction, at a guess? Stunning. High cheekbones, long silky hair, OMG.

She had a large Louis Vuitton logo tattoo on her upper arm.

Corporate tattoos - Desperately shit.

15 hours ago, bickster said:

Haha three little words is hilariously stupid

It isn’t. It’s the opposite of that -  not funny clever, I suppose.

I mean yeah for finding house numbers it’s rubbish, but that’s not what it’s for.  Lost in the hills or whatever, it’s perfect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

I mean yeah for finding house numbers it’s rubbish, but that’s not what it’s for.

It's exactly what it's for, hence the number of Taxi platforms like iCabbi integrating it into their systems

It's a dreadful taxi solution imo

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's exactly what it's for, hence the number of Taxi platforms like iCabbi integrating it into their systems

It's a dreadful taxi solution imo

I thought it divided the world up into squares, with each square given a unique word combo and the squares are a bit too big to tell my front door from next door’s front door. Ok it’s only 12 inches, but…

Mountain Rescue, stuff like that, it’s brilliant. Truck deliveries to shops and warehouses, lost children,…all good.  If it was meant be a taxi app, then I concede it’s a bit crap.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bickster said:

Haha three little words is hilariously stupid. It’s an idea that doesn’t really take into account peoples accents and language levels, not only that it doesn’t link the square to an actual address. That there is a legal problem with what constitutes a pick-up location with regards to statutory requirements to record bookings. It's also impossible to decide which is and isn’t a viable location for pickup in a built up area. It’s a long way off being actually useful. If it could translate the three words to an actual address I could make 30 staff redundant tomorrow and switch everything to voice recognition.

what three words is genius. It's just not intended for taxi journeys

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

I thought it divided the world up into squares, with each square given a unique word combo and the squares are a bit too big to tell my front door from next door’s front door. Ok it’s only 12 inches, but…

Mountain Rescue, stuff like that, it’s brilliant. Truck deliveries to shops and warehouses, lost children,…all good.  If it was meant be a taxi app, then I concede it’s a bit crap.

Exactly. It's for finding places that are difficult to locate using "traditional" means.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly. It's for finding places that are difficult to locate using "traditional" means.

I do a lot of site work in rural areas away from postcodes. What three words makes my life a thousand times easier when setting out works when I don't have a GPS, or when I'm meeting contractors.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â