Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

But who wouldn't also want a device containing hundreds of books, that you can carry around in your pocket? I don't have an actual Kindle, but I do have the Android Kindle reader app on my phone, and I use it all the time when I'm out and about. Also good if I can't sleep and want to read without waking the missus up. So I tend to have books on there that can be read in short bursts - short stories, essays, anthologies, poetry, etc. 

It's a pretty bad idea to use a backlit screen if you can't sleep (or even for a few hours before sleeping).

If only the Library of Alexandria had have been on an ebook. I like the idea of them in terms of saving space but don't like idea of paying for ebooks.

With reference to your previous music example; how would you reward authors for their work?

But who wouldn't also want a device containing hundreds of books, that you can carry around in your pocket? I don't have an actual Kindle, but I do have the Android Kindle reader app on my phone, and I use it all the time when I'm out and about. Also good if I can't sleep and want to read without waking the missus up. So I tend to have books on there that can be read in short bursts - short stories, essays, anthologies, poetry, etc.

It's a pretty bad idea to use a backlit screen if you can't sleep (or even for a few hours before sleeping).
True. But I have it as white-on-black, with the minimum usable level of brightness. I usually start nodding off after about 20 minutes or so.

If only the Library of Alexandria had have been on an ebook. I like the idea of them in terms of saving space but don't like idea of paying for ebooks.

With reference to your previous music example; how would you reward authors for their work?

That's the problem/dilemma, I wouldn't. But even now buying books, I usually get them second hand so I guess I'm not rewarding authors for their work anyway. Same with music I only very rarely get buy new releases, other than that it's stuff I get second hand, usually from Discogs.com.

Do you have something against content creators getting paid for the work they do or something? ;)

The only thing I download is TV shows that aren't broadcast or available on Netflix over here in the UK. I don't feel bad for downloading stuff like that. I don't really understand why you feel it's okay to steal content just because you don't get a physical copy of it, especially when most of the time you could buy a physical copy. You're basically stealing and then trying to justify it, at least in my opinion.

• Like 3

True. But I have it as white-on-black, with the minimum usable level of brightness. I usually start nodding off after about 20 minutes or so.

Strongly recommend you change it to red on black if you can. Blue light is much worse than green or red.

Do you have something against content creators getting paid for the work they do or something? ;)

The only thing I download is TV shows that aren't broadcast or available on Netflix over here in the UK. I don't feel bad for downloading stuff like that. I don't really understand why you feel it's okay to steal content just because you don't get a physical copy of it, especially when most of the time you could buy a physical copy. You're basically stealing and then trying to justify it, at least in my opinion.

What are you talking about? I haven't said anything to suggest I steal content. Your the one who has said that you download TV shows and then trying to justify it by saying that they aren't available in this country.

I don't understand why you think that something virtual is in some way less than something real. If you get the same pleasure / use out of it, what's the difference?

Very true. Same goes for live music. You may as well say "I won't pay for a gig, as I don't get a tangible object out of it".
  • Like 2

What are you talking about? I haven't said anything to suggest I steal content. Your the one who has said that you download TV shows and then trying to justify it by saying that they aren't available in this country.

I'm not justifying anything. If they were made available for me to buy then I would buy them, but if there's something that isn't available to me and I really want to see it, it's either that or miss out on it. If it comes over here at a later date, I'll buy the DVD.

And you said...

In my opinion it's an awful cheek to ask people to pay for something that doesn't really exist in any kind of tangible form and in it's digital form can be copied infinitely.

I myself never pay for downloads, but then again I don't listen to them unless it's of a really old out of print record that would cost a bomb to buy. If you want to support artists then buy something tangible or go to a gig.

Which implies that you have downloaded things in the past for free rather than buying a collectible physical copy, whereas chances are you could actually buy the digital copy if you really wanted to. If you're saying you've never downloaded any music or other content for free rather than paying for a digital copy, however, then fair play.

I don't understand why you think that something virtual is in some way less than something real. If you get the same pleasure / use out of it, what's the difference?

Very true. Same goes for live music. You may as well say "I won't pay for a gig, as I don't get a tangible object out of it".

You can't reproduce the experience of a specific live performance, many times over. As you can with a digital download.

You can't reproduce the experience of a specific live performance, many times over. As you can with a digital download.

I don't understand how that makes one of the two valueless.

I'm not justifying anything. If they were made available for me to buy then I would buy them, but if there's something that isn't available to me and I really want to see it, it's either that or miss out on it. If it comes over here at a later date, I'll buy the DVD.

And you said...

In my opinion it's an awful cheek to ask people to pay for something that doesn't really exist in any kind of tangible form and in it's digital form can be copied infinitely.

I myself never pay for downloads, but then again I don't listen to them unless it's of a really old out of print record that would cost a bomb to buy. If you want to support artists then buy something tangible or go to a gig.

Which implies that you have downloaded things in the past for free rather than buying a collectible physical copy, whereas chances are you could actually buy the digital copy if you really wanted to. If you're saying you've never downloaded any music or other content for free rather than paying for a digital copy, however, then fair play.

When I speak of downloading out of print records, I'm talking about records that can cost hundreds of pounds if you wanted to buy a used copy and those records aren't usually available to buy as downloads. One thing I'll admit to doing in the past is downloading something before deciding whether I want to buy it or not. But not so much these days as you can hear a lot of stuff on soundcloud and youtube anyway.

I don't understand how that makes one of the two valueless.

It's value is up to the individual if someone else wants to pay for digital downloads then that's up to them. In the case with music I don't get the same enjoyment from listening to a music file as say I do from listening to something on an LP or in some cases a cassette even.

I think there's a line of 'fairness' to be found that is very difficult to define or quantify.

I receive and send out loads of ripped off music, the artists have received nothing. I am potentially the home taper that's killing music. Except I don't think I am. There are 7 of us going to a gig on Friday evening, to see a bunch of bands we discovered by trading hooky copies of their music. Would the bands object to us copying their music and then buying 7 £25 gig tickets and a couple of the guys possibly buying legit CD's and tee shirts once we are there? 

I've happily bought the CD of a busker in the street or a support band at a gig and then copied it, in essence, to 'spread the word'.

On the point of paying for one format and not another, that I don't understand. I'm not even sure what point is being made there? Digital is fair game for theft as it doesn't have physical form? That doesn't look like a very thought through rule to live by if I've understood it correctly.

• Like 1

I've happily bought the CD of a busker in the street or a support band at a gig and then copied it, in essence, to 'spread the word'.

On the point of paying for one format and not another, that I don't understand. I'm not even sure what point is being made there? Digital is fair game for theft as it doesn't have physical form? That doesn't look like a very thought through rule to live by if I've understood it correctly.

I haven't said that digital is fair game for theft.

It's value is up to the individual if someone else wants to pay for digital downloads then that's up to them. In the case with music I don't get the same enjoyment from listening to a music file as say I do from listening to something on an LP or in some cases a cassette even.

Okay, so you don't get the same value, but how can you say the value you get from the "copy" to be zero?

I haven't said that digital is fair game for theft.

no, reading back, I don't think you have

I have a bad back and I'm currently high as a kite

apologies

• Like 1

I don't get the same enjoyment from listening to a music file as say I do from listening to something on an LP or in some cases a cassette even.

That's kind of strange, in a way. I mean some of the best enjoyment I've had from music has been when something's come on the radio I've never heard before, and it's blown me away. Or from a podcast, say.

Given music is sound, and therefore not tangible, the medium used to deliver it - CD, LP, digital file and player etc. is kind of irrelevant.

I get the pleasure in owning Vinyl, or CDs where you get to look at the cover, put the needle on the record, or slot the CD into the player, and I suppose that's part of the overall listening thing, in a way - like a japanese tea ceremony or something.

Cassettes are bobbins mind.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â