Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

Assuming there are some brummies on VT, what about 'Bab'?

There does seem to be a ring of authenticity about it and it can be used equally by either gender.

I use 'Bab' as a term of endearment. I often refer to young children as 'babby' too.

• Like 1

People who choose to have alloy wheels.

Much better than steel rims, steels buckle every time you touch the kerb, plastic wheel trims break very easily. They have distinct advantages in my game

Why not steer clear of curbs? :)

Much better than steel rims, steels buckle every time you touch the kerb, plastic wheel trims break very easily. They have distinct advantages in my game

I would if people would come out of their damn houses when the cab arrives not five minutes later, making me block the street or kerb the car

He'd be much safer steering clear of kerbs.

XhuSQZU.jpg

• Like 1

Oh yes here's something fundamental I don't get

Britishness

What a load of me arse that is

in a we have bad teeth way as portrayed in American comedy  or in a we civilised the world sort of way ?

Britishness

in a we have bad teeth way as portrayed in American comedy  or in a we civilised the world sort of way ?

Anyway really, I keep seeing people talking about British values etc and I have no idea what they are talking about because the concept is so nebulous. We aren't the Borg, we don't have one set of values, we don't all collectively think and act alike. Britishness is a political construct. It doesn't really exist.

• Like 3

He'd be much safer steering clear of kerbs.

XhuSQZU.jpg

Surely it should be a capital 'G' for grammar in the breaking news bar?

• Like 1

Britishness

Anyway really, I keep seeing people talking about British values etc and I have no idea what they are talking about because the concept is so nebulous. We aren't the Borg, we don't have one set of values, we don't all collectively think and act alike. Britishness is a political construct. It doesn't really exist.

go and live abroad and not have a door ever held open ( the Asians have it down to a fine art that they time their move so they get through the door as it's closing without ever having to touch it )   , not have anyone stand to one side on the escalator (Hungarians will turn around look at you running down in a hurry and then just turn back as if you are invisible)  , queue up (Indians don't queue the world will end if they do )  , say excuse me or please or thank you ( i'm looking at you Russia )   ..

then you'll get an idea of that quirk that is Britishness

yeah it's old fashioned but it's sadly eroding from our lives here now in the UK as a result of bad parenting  ...

• Like 2

go and live abroad and not have a door ever held open ( the Asians have it down to a fine art that they time their move so they get through the door as it's closing without ever having to touch it )   , not have anyone stand to one side on the escalator (Hungarians will turn around look at you running down in a hurry and then just turn back as if you are invisible)  , queue up (Indians don't queue the world will end if they do )  , say excuse me or please or thank you ( i'm looking at you Russia )   ..

then you'll get an idea of that quirk that is Britishness

yeah it's old fashioned but it's sadly eroding from our lives here now in the UK as a result of bad parenting  ...

Plenty of people from all over the world hold the door open for you. That escalator thing is a london underground thing, seriously doesn't happen much elsewhere plus people only do it because they are told to. I've queued all over the world, orderly like. Most people the world over are courteous.

Not much in that is quintessentially British at all

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â