Paul Lambert

limpid

I'm going to hold fire on Lambert until he has some serious money to spend.

I actually think we have the basis of a reasonable team, but the next 2 or 3 purchases need to be good quality, to improve the team significantly.I do worry about the style of play, and the lack of possession, but i don't think there are many options on the bench.

We need better players to play of CB, if he gets 1 or 2 in, then i think we will significantly improve.

Is it not possible that the players tired and City found another gear, forcing us back?

Why are they so tired? Because they spent the whole of the first half pressing Man City to win the ball back. How about they try and keep it a bit longer instead?
You reckon giving it away all the time is the game plan or something?
I'm trying to understand why they can't keep the ball for more than 5 passes. Any ideas?

Perhaps it's something to do with Man City being the current champions and one of the most expensive teams ever that is packed with top quality international players. Just a thought.

But no you are probably right, it's probably just a tactic of Lambert's to not want his players to retain the ball.

To be fair its not only the expensive clubs that we've struggled to keep the ball against so I think its a fair concern.

• Like 1

Now to start off let's not kid ourselves Man City are a bloody good side. Movement technique and general ability is far beyond anything we can even dream of.

Now I'm not sure whether it's Lambert's instructions or the players mind sets but I just don't get why we started to sit back after about 70 mins. We always do it and it just invites pressure on to us. So frustrating to lose like that when we could see it coming.

I think we are over egging Man City - true on paper they have players we can only dream of - but didn't think they looked any special tonight - no where near arsenal a couple of weeks back.

We must have completely different vision then because until arsenal scored we were the better team, at no point yesterday were we the better team

• Like 1

Gary Neville was spot on (again) during the match yesterday. I'm warming to him as a pundit, his tactical awareness could make him a good manager in the future too

Sadly as usual Lambert wasn't seeing the same things

The two late substitutions were odd to say the least. 

Worst possession stats in the league

Worst shots on target in the league

Worst number of passes completed in the league

People will say we've had a difficult run but we we built up these stats in the first three games and have simply continued them.

There is no denying that Lamberts brand of football is horrible to watch. Despite the poor run of games I'm struggling to see much that will change once we play the poorer teams.

There is no pattern to our play and no real gameplan other than wait until we win the ball and then run as fast as we can to the other end of the pitch. There is no invention to our play, it's all so predictable. We play with wide players but rarely spread the play and stretch teams. When we play down the middle our attacks break down because we have nobody who can find pockets of space or thread a nice ball.

We will see this midfield three of Westwood Delph and Cleverley all season and 9 times out of 10 it will provide us with nothing other than sideways passes and good pressing of the ball.

I can't see who is going to create chances once Benteke is back. We are simply going to have to rely on him creating his own wondergoals. Seeing Diame ripping it up at Hull is really annoying me as i knew he would have been perfect for us. Such a better player than Cleverley.

A creative midfielder is an absolute must in January.

Thats as I see it now - the creative aspect of our game isn't being developed at all - were not poor at it - we just don't do it. I don't see any glimmer of improvement in this area

Our goal did live a charmed life for a vast portion of the game but I thought we played well and looked dangerous on the break. Signed our death warrant last 20 minutes or so though by not even looking to counter and sitting the entire team behind the ball and inviting the onslaught.

• Like 1

Stoke (a) - Shots on target (1) Possession (38%)

Newcastle (h) - Shots on target (0) Possession (40%)

Leyton Orient (h) - Shots on target (1) Possession (53%)

Hull City (h) - Shots on target (4) Possession (45%)

Liverpool (a) - Shots on target (1) Possession (26%)

Arsenal (h) - Shots on target (2) Possession (29%)

Chelsea (a) - Shots on target (1) Possession (37%)

Man City (h) - Shots on target (1) Possession (32%)

How is this acceptable? Why are people still defending him? I was very much behind Lambert at first but last season was awful and this year is no better. Results/League position is great but we are only heading one way. We have failed to score in 4/5 home games.

He hasn't had any money to spend? Well you don't need a ton of money to develop a good style of football and at least have a game plan/decent tactics. How much have Swansea spent over the last 3 seasons? £8m total outlay compared to our £38m. 

If these performances were under the McLeish era he would be slated. There were tons calling for his head last seasons, what's changed over the summer? Nothing as far as I can see. Apart from Hull at home every one of these games has been dire to watch. Is anyone honestly enjoying these games?

• Like 4

Stoke (a) - Shots on target (1) Possession (38%) WIN

Newcastle (h) - Shots on target (0) Possession (40%) DRAW

Hull City (h) - Shots on target (4) Possession (45%) WIN 

Liverpool (a) - Shots on target (1) Possession (26%) WIN

Arsenal (h) - Shots on target (2) Possession (29%) LOSS 

Chelsea (a) - Shots on target (1) Possession (37%) LOSS

Man City (h) - Shots on target (1) Possession (32%) LOSS

How is this acceptable? Why are people still defending him? I was very much behind Lambert at first but last season was awful and this year is no better. Results/League position is great but we are only heading one way. We have failed to score in 4/5 home games.

He hasn't had any money to spend? Well you don't need a ton of money to develop a good style of football and at least have a game plan/decent tactics. How much have Swansea spent over the last 3 seasons? £8m total outlay compared to our £38m. 

If these performances were under the McLeish era he would be slated. There were tons calling for his head last seasons, what's changed over the summer? Nothing as far as I can see. Apart from Hull at home every one of these games has been dire to watch. Is anyone honestly enjoying these games?

Swansea have spent £8m? Uwotm8?

Stoke (a) - Shots on target (1) Possession (38%) WIN 3 points

Newcastle (h) - Shots on target (0) Possession (40%) DRAW 1 point

Hull City (h) - Shots on target (4) Possession (45%) WIN 3 points

Liverpool (a) - Shots on target (1) Possession (26%) WIN 3 points

Arsenal (h) - Shots on target (2) Possession (29%) LOSS 0 points

Chelsea (a) - Shots on target (1) Possession (37%) LOSS 0 points

Man City (h) - Shots on target (1) Possession (32%) LOSS 0 points

Overall: 10 points

Position: 7th

To me that really doesn't seem too bad, being as the only relevant statistic is the points on the board. If McLeish held that record in his first 7 games we'd have praised him, or at least I know I would have. What more were you expecting from the fixtures above?

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

I have to say the moaning about possession is getting a little tedious - over half of our opening 7 games have been against teams far better than ourselves and we've been without two of our best players for many of those games.

Probably because results-wise we've done ok. I didn't realise that football was all about having the most possession and having the most shots rather than outscoring the opponent.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

Gary Neville was spot on (again) during the match yesterday. I'm warming to him as a pundit, his tactical awareness could make him a good manager in the future too

Sadly as usual Lambert wasn't seeing the same things

The two late substitutions were odd to say the least.

That double substitution was mind boggling. To bring on Grealish who lets be honest has done absolutely nothing in a Villa shirt to warrant a place in a team was madness. As soon as I saw him coming on I thought he would run around like a lost lamb and I wasn't wrong. What on earth possessed Lambert to bring him on against the champions? It was like having just 10 men in the team. I'm not suggesting he won't turn out to be a fine player for Villa, but he simply isn't ready to play against a team as good as Man City.

• Like 1

This season Swansea made £3m, last season they spent £21m the season before that they made another profit of £10m. This is according to Transfermarkt unless I am looking at the wrong thing.

They've bought an £9m attacking midfielder and an £9m defender this season, they spent £12m on a striker last season. It is irrelevant to the topic of Paul Lambert as to how much money Swansea have made from player sales. What is relevant is that he simply can't sort spend these amounts on players as things stand, or at least he hasn't been able to so far since he arrived.

What has changed since last season?

• Went unbeaten for four games in a row
  • 7th position
  • We beat Liverpool at their gaff
  • We've only lost to teams who finished in the top 5 last season

We're only 7 games in.

• Like 1

I dunno I think we're doing alright. I'd much prefer we learn to take points off the teams around us and lose to the top 4, rather than lose points from the teams around us but get the odd flukey win against the top 4.

On evidence of the first 7 games, this seems to be how it's going.  Take 3 points against Everton and I'll be chuffed! 

I have to say the moaning about possession is getting a little tedious - over half of our opening 7 games have been against teams far better than ourselves and we've been without two of our best players for many of those games.

Probably because results-wise we've done ok. I didn't realise that football was all about having the most possession and having the most shots rather than outscoring the opponent.

Ok so playing against a better team means you can put more than 5 passes together? How does that work?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â