Paul Lambert

limpid

Those tables have 15 teams in them, and we have finished 16th, 15th and 15th. Why are any of you surprised? Absolutely nothing to talk about there. If it was cut off at 6 teams it makes grim reading for Liverpool.

Stick a total player wages and net transfer spend next to the team names in the chart and see what you find.

As has been said before spending is not the ultimate way to judge this. Gabby, grealish, guzan, delph, Cole, Richardson all available to Lambert for the grand total of 0 pounds spent on transfer fees.

Are they all shit and useless because of that?

I Think if you go back in time the players that feature in our best players cost relatively little...right now if we had the money the players with a bit of a CV wouldn't want to come, it has to be turned around in other ways and then start buying better.

....but there are really no guarantee's.... crikey we have proved that 10mill for Davies.....10 Mill for N'Zogbia ..... 20 odd mill for Bent?

we are now waiting to do it again with Cleverley, never a 8mill player....we just don't learn. There is a real worry for me with Transfers

We get it right now and again. 

Probably because we've largely managed to avoid getting sucked into the relegation battle so far this season despite the low goals tally.

Don't get me wrong, the lack of goals is shocking, but at the same time I'd rather be in the position we're in right now than the position most of the clubs below us are in.

....but there are really no guarantee's.... crikey we have proved that 10mill for Davies.....10 Mill for N'Zogbia ..... 20 odd mill for Bent?

we are now waiting to do it again with Cleverley, never a 8mill player....we just don't learn. There is a real worry for me with Transfers

We get it right now and again.

Premature much?

Edited by Mantis

how often does changing the manager make that much of a difference for any significant length of time.

So should we have stuck with mcleish?
McLeish's transfers were awful. Lambert's have on the whole, not been.

So then a manager can make a difference.

• Like 1

Fergie or Moyes with Man U

Moyes or Martinez with Everton

Pochettino or Koeman with Southampton

Lambert or McLeish with AVFC

Just to prove there are managers out there who can do a better job and make a difference. The last is unfortunately clutching at straws.

No not his fault. Makes you wonder why owners have managers. Might as well spend the money themselves as that's all that matters in regards to results.

It's obviously not all that matters with regards to results.

The thing is that people see Lambert as badly underachieving (yourself included) , which is fine as an opinion of course.  However, he's basically delivering league positions of between 16th and 13th whilst spending comparatively less than other clubs and certainly less than clubs above us who we are expected to catch.

If you spend less than those you're trying to catch, you don't catch them (unless you unearth gems most of the time).  It's that simple.

Absolute tosh. If all that was needed was money then everyone would finish in a position exactly according to how much money they had spent. You need a good manager that buys good players at the right price and gets the most out of them.

That's exactly what happens!

No not his fault. Makes you wonder why owners have managers. Might as well spend the money themselves as that's all that matters in regards to results.

The thing is that people see Lambert as badly underachieving (yourself included) , which is fine as an opinion of course.  However, he's basically delivering league positions of between 16th and 13th whilst spending comparatively less than other clubs and certainly less than clubs above us who we are expected to catch.

If you spend less than those you're trying to catch, you don't catch them (unless you unearth gems most of the time).  It's that simple.

Absolute tosh. If all that was needed was money then everyone would finish in a position exactly according to how much money they had spent. You need a good manager that buys good players at the right price and gets the most out of them.

Come the end of the season show me the final league table with exactly how much each club has spent and let's see if it is exactly what happens.

Fergie or Moyes with Man U

Moyes or Martinez with Everton

Pochettino or Koeman with Southampton

Lambert or McLeish with AVFC

Just to prove there are managers out there who can do a better job and make a difference. The last is unfortunately clutching at straws.

Honestly don't understand that. What do you mean?

so how do we keep losing to lower league opposition just about every time we turn out in the cups....I think it has a big effect, but there is more to it than just money alone.

Edited by TRO

how often does changing the manager make that much of a difference for any significant length of time.

So then a manager can make a difference.

As I said, there are better managers than others. In particular, Lambert is better at controlling the money and where it is spent than Mcleish. Name a manager that we could hire that has proven ability to do that better than Paul Lambert.

so how do we keep losing to lower league opposition just about every time we turn out....I think it has a big effect, but there is more to it than just money alone.

This is football, there are anomalies and good tactics can sometimes win a game, bad tactics can lose a game, but over the course of the season it's the money that tells the full story.

• Like 2

so Lamberts signings have been that much better.... so why has that not manifested its way in to the league table.

not disagreeing by the way, just being devils advocate.

Lambert's biggest defenders seem to argue that managers don't actually matter.

That speaks volumes about the job he's doing.

Yes, we might as well sack him because we will finish exactly according to how much money we have spent.

Especially considering they were they only ones he'd paid any reasonable money for - the rest were pure gambles. Assembling a squad, and the best players you bring in are all out at the same time.

I'm not suggesting Lambert is this fantastic manager, far from it, but it is so irritating to see people constantly saying sack the manager, he's shit, useless word removed etc when there is so little evidence in premier league history of a manager making a significant turn in fortunes without spending big money on players. This idea that there's some manager out there like Pochettino (7th with Tottenhams squad) or Martinez (level on points with us!) just waiting to be picked up that will get us back in to the top ten or top six is frankly ridiculous.

• Like 1

Lambert's biggest defenders seem to argue that managers don't actually matter.

That speaks volumes about the job he's doing.

As has been mentioned by someone else I'm not that bothered if he's replaced or not, it will be the same over and over again as it is with every other club that's floating between the top few clubs and relegation. I enjoy every game but I'm not deluded enough to think that changing a manager who can evidently spot an ok player with another manager who may or may not be able to will make the slightest bit of difference in the grand scheme of things.

I suspect you enjoy moaning about managers as much as I like watching the matches.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â