Paul Lambert

limpid

I just don't think we're going anywhere under him. I don't see the point in drifting by as a bottom half team trying to survive.

The squad is decent, we have a couple of promising youngsters coming through, tom fox is saying all the right things and there's no major issues with the wage bill. I think we could get someone in with different ideas who could do better things now.

As per posted about fifteen billion times, if no significant amount of money is put into the club, we will continue to be a bottom half team.

We could have Jose **** Mourinho as the manager and this wouldn't change.

I'm not convinced Lambert is a great manager but until we start to invest in the team, it's better the devil you know IMO.

At this point I think it's 50/50 on success and failure for Lambert.

i've seen manager's do far more with less though

and do far less with what Lambert has, i say less... relegation is the only low he hasn't achieved yet. But I admire the fact he is trying new playing and transfer strategies.

Examples of managers that have done "far more with less" please.
You only have to look at our neighbours to see a perfect example of what can happen if shit results aren't accepted. Far worse conditions than this club but fresh ideas and new approaches and the same players look completely different and are getting good results.

It shows how poor the manager has been when 2 and a half years in your main reason to keep him is based on better the devil you know, rather than being able to point out how much better things will be with lambert.

How come its OK for you to keep mentioning Birmingham City but when someone else tried to use Everton as an example you told them it wasn't relevant?
I'm using Birmingham city as a relevant point showing a club with a poor owner having an improvement in performance and results with a new manager.

The point about Everton was somehow trying to show improvement under lambert, which has nothing to do with it.

What you mean is, you decided it wasn't a relevant point because you disagreed with it when in reality it was just as relevant as yours. If you are allowed to cite another club as an example of "what could have been" then other people should be allowed to if it backs up their opinion.

Wow.

What has Everton underperforming got to do with proving Lambert is improving? How is that relevant to that discussion?

I'm sure you could have worked this out on your own.

Maybe if you had given the person who wrote the comment the chance to elaborate they could have done that. My point is if you are going to cite other clubs, even if they are abstract and  far removed from our current situation, to back up your opinion then don't tell others they can't as well.

Edited by sexbelowsound

Bored are we?

Give him the chance? Was I at his house taking away his keyboard?

And abstract and far removed. A club with a poor owner, financial restrictions and performing badly. Yep sounds nothing like us.

I'm bored now, yes. Cheers for playing.  :wave: 

and do far less with what Lambert has, i say less... relegation is the only low he hasn't achieved yet. But I admire the fact he is trying new playing and transfer strategies.

well seeing as you said please I would say comparatively both recent Southampton managers, Rogers at Swansea (Monk isn't doing bad either) Hughes and Pulis at Stoke? I'm sure even Hull have spent less with us and avoided relegation although they haven't done 'more'.

But then you're going to want to analyse what 'far more with less' means, so i'll leave you to twist that to suit your argument.

Bored are we?

Give him the chance? Was I at his house taking away his keyboard?

And abstract and far removed. A club with a poor owner, financial restrictions and performing badly. Yep sounds nothing like us.

I'm bored now, yes. Cheers for playing. :wave:

No probs.

Killed some time while GTA V was installing.

• Like 1

I just don't think we're going anywhere under him. I don't see the point in drifting by as a bottom half team trying to survive.

The squad is decent, we have a couple of promising youngsters coming through, tom fox is saying all the right things and there's no major issues with the wage bill. I think we could get someone in with different ideas who could do better things now.

As per posted about fifteen billion times, if no significant amount of money is put into the club, we will continue to be a bottom half team.

I'm not convinced Lambert is a great manager but until we start to invest in the team, it's better the devil you know IMO.

You want to know managers who have done far more with less, yet write off an outstanding manager in Mourinho. Lets face it, whoever we come up with will not be able to make a difference in your eyes, especially if you are willing to write off one of the best managers in the world right now.

Mourinho earned his stripes: http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/08/teams-of-the-decade-3-porto-2002-04/

How have I written off Mourinho!? :D  I've said that even he (very good manager) would struggle to improve us that much.

In that respect, I agree - whoever you come up with as a replacement for Lambert won't do that much better than Lambert unless we see significant investment from our owner.  Mourinho, in this respect, is a decent example.  2 seasons ago, Chelsea finish 3rd under Benitez.  Mourinho comes in, spends a load of money and comes... 3rd.  Gets more investment this season to improve his squad, now look set to win the league.  It's the same for Aston Villa - we need to spend.

At the moment, in my eyes, we can finish anywhere from 10th to 19th.  Paul Lambert may well only get us to 14th constantly season after season (as posted above somewhere), but that's not an underachievement.  Hiring a different manager could well take us to 10th or it could see us struggle and get relegated.  Who knows! Until we see better investment, though, I'm happy to stick with the devil we know.  Unspectacular, unpretty, but achieving what our owner wants with the relative pittance our owner is prepared to give him.

You want to know managers who have done far more with less, yet write off an outstanding manager in Mourinho. Lets face it, whoever we come up with will not be able to make a difference in your eyes, especially if you are willing to write off one of the best managers in the world right now.

Mourinho earned his stripes: http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/08/teams-of-the-decade-3-porto-2002-04/

How have I written off Mourinho!? :D  I've said that even he (very good manager) would struggle to improve us that much.

In that respect, I agree - whoever you come up with as a replacement for Lambert won't do that much better than Lambert unless we see significant investment from our owner.  Mourinho, in this respect, is a decent example.  2 seasons ago, Chelsea finish 3rd under Benitez.  Mourinho comes in, spends a load of money and comes... 3rd.  Gets more investment this season to improve his squad, now look set to win the league.  It's the same for Aston Villa - we need to spend.

At the moment, in my eyes, we can finish anywhere from 10th to 19th.  Paul Lambert may well only get us to 14th constantly season after season (as posted above somewhere), but that's not an underachievement.  Hiring a different manager could well take us to 10th or it could see us struggle and get relegated.  Who knows! Until we see better investment, though, I'm happy to stick with the devil we know.  Unspectacular, unpretty, but achieving what our owner wants with the relative pittance our owner is prepared to give him.

There has been bits of speculation that Lerner is not planning on going anywhere, plus all takeover leads have gone cold, so i don't think there will be any changes in investment in the club. Lambert has already come out and said there is sod all in the coffers for January (not that he would show his hand and say we are loaded) even the move for award winning Manure midfielder Cleverly isn't assured, but every Jan he says 'we will try and get someone in, it's hard and we probably won't because its hard' and we don't. Anyway i digress.

Looking at the names linked with the Newcastle job (if Pardew does go). A little shocked they aren't linked with Lambert, you'd think he would be one of the first names on the list.

Edited by DK82

Looking at the names linked with the Newcastle job (if Pardew does go). A little shocked they aren't linked with Lambert, you'd think he would be one of the first names on the list.

I know, such a wonderful manager with great tactical skills and motivational technique. It wouldn't surprise me if a couple on here were on the phone to Mike Ashley singing the praises of Lambert and claiming that he has been under funded for years and Villa don't deserve such a wonderful bloke as our fans are so fickle and always moaning about him.  :D

I know, such a wonderful manager with great tactical skills and motivational technique. It wouldn't surprise me if a couple on here were on the phone to Mike Ashley singing the praises of Lambert and claiming that he has been under funded for years and Villa don't deserve such a wonderful bloke as our fans are so fickle and always moaning about him.  :D

Ever thought about doing standup? I'd pay to see ya!  ;)

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 1

It is something that I have considered but the best comedian in these parts is the bloke pretending to be a football manager at AVFC. How could I possibly compete with that?  ;)

• Like 1

It is something that I have considered but the best comedian in these parts is the bloke pretending to be a football manager at AVFC. How could I possibly compete with that?  ;)

Oh snap!  :D

• Like 1

Its the money thing again yeah! No goals cause we have no money, then explain this to me.

For a minute I will believe you guys that he is this great manger and does the best he can with the limited funds he has.

Ok explain me this:

Why can he not get the best out of Weimann, NZog, Gabby, now Benteke maybe.

Why does he continue to use players that are not performing, see above.

Why has it took 2 and a half seasons to work out possession football is best.

How come we can't score goals with one of the best strikers in the league

Why does he continue to ignore Grealish's quality

How come after Hutton's loan he has now come back a different player.

Why has he broke more negative records than any other manager.

And why if he is such a good manager has he not been head hunted or even left himself for a team with the finances to prove his quality.

Cheers guys.

I was always a big fan of his, and I stuck up for him a lot earlier in his Villa career, but I'm not sure how long we can carry on with him as manager. Granted things look a little better this season, but we're only a couple of bad results away from a dog fight. He's constantly chopped and changed the defence, we're overrun in midfield every game. If you're only going to play 3 in the middle then there has to be different variety, Cleverly Westwood and Sanchez don't provide anything going forward and Delphs final ball is awful so it's no surprise the strikers don't get any supply. Playing 3 up front works if 2 of them can play wide, Gabby and Weimann both have goals in them if they're utilized properly, neither have any effect when out wide. This is just my humble opinion but to me it seems that he is just refusing to change things in the hope that it just suddenly clicks.

Did you forget that winky thing pal?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â