Paul Lambert

limpid

We should play 4-4-2 at home. As I said before, 3 in the middle at home (with Benteke dropping deep and Gabby and Andi coming in field) leaves it congested, especially when the opposition has men behind the ball.

Edited by DK82

Lambert is a good manager, there's too many Villa fans on here that are part of the modern football disease.

Agree, the way we pick the team and tactics is a disgrace. FANS OUT!

Im glad we dont roll over anymore, given the number of times we have been down to ten men recently we have remained solid. In the past we would have lost those games so you can take that as a positive. Our lack of goals is a massive worry, its a shame we cant keep Joe Cole fit for longer than 2 minutes because he is exactly what we need. I think its about time Wiemann and Gabby were replaced now as they dont bring much to the party. Gabby has 5 decent games a season and Wiemann runs around a lot with no end product. Persisting with those two is where our problems are.

I thought the first half was ok. We kept the ball quite well. But what we didn't have was someone making a run in behind to play a through ball, allowing Sunderland to sit there and just head away when we eventually lumped it into box. The men playing Benteke have got to see the space in the channels or when he drops deep in behind him. We will create more chances then.

Lambert is a good manager, there's too many Villa fans on here that are part of the modern football disease.

Yeah, If only we could go back to the 86/87 season finnish bottom of the league and get relegated.

What is the modern football disease exactly?

I would call it Football Manageritis, either a player or performance is brilliant or abysmal no in between. Look at any individual player thread and you can see this most notably Westwood

• Like 1

What is the modern football disease exactly?

I would call it Football Manageritis, either a player or performance is brilliant or abysmal no in between. Look at any individual player thread and you can see this most notably Westwood

Or not giving an international manager a chance, right?

Huge differences? Well it would be nice to progress. Thought that was the whole point of sport. To be better and get better.

And while defence is much better it makes no difference when attack is much worse because the end result is the same.

But we have become better in certain areas of our game. Its very difficult to progress in every aspect when one of the key prerequisites in Premier League football isn't afforded to you.

But we aren't allowed to mention that are we.....

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 1

10 men, again. Difficult to judge without seeing how the game would progress.

P.S. getting a point with 10 men is always a good result.

No chance that we could have scored in the first half when it was 11v11?

• Like 1

Huge differences? Well it would be nice to progress. Thought that was the whole point of sport. To be better and get better.

And while defence is much better it makes no difference when attack is much worse because the end result is the same.

But we have become better in certain areas of our game. Its very difficult to progress in every aspect when one of the key prerequisites in Premier League football isn't afforded to you.

This is a good point. With the restrictions he's had to work under, you can't expect to improve all of our issues at once. It seems he's taking them on one at a time, which I think is the more sensible choice given the fine line between survival and relegation in the Premier League. Now that we got the defence sorted out, he's moved on to the style of play and after which I hope he'll address how to put the ball in the back of the net! If he can find a way to get us firing with this style while maintaining our defensive solidarity, I think we can be some team. 

• Like 1

Results say otherwise.

I'm going to repeat what I said earlier: We are now retaining possession. What we need is movement and tempo. It will take the team time to improve on that.

Whether Lambert deserves more time is a different question. Those who asked for up until January - we are here now, more or less. Does he still deserve more time?

This just about sums it up for me:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30613002

Aston Villa - 13th

SEASON SO FAR: Unspectacular. A fine start that brought wins at Stoke and Liverpool and a new contract for manager Paul Lambert has deteriorated into a mid-table scrap as well as seeing the departure of his No.2 Roy Keane. Villa's existence now seems to be ensuring they do not fall into relegation trouble. It is how their season is panning out - but surely a club of their stature should have higher aims.

HOW IS THE MANAGER DOING?: The jury is out on Paul Lambert but he has not been given huge amount of room for manoeuvre in the transfer market by owner Randy Lerner, who has so far failed to sell the club. Like Villa's season - unspectacular.

WHAT THEY NEED TO DO NEXT: Netherlands defender Ron Vlaar and England midfield man Fabian Delph are both free agents next summer. There is every chance one or two clubs might test their resolve to cash-in now rather than lose out in a few months. If Villa are to have any chance of prospering further this season, surely they must make sure they survive January without sales.

Did you know?: The Villains have received a joint-high four red cards in the Premier League so far this season. They didn't receive a single red card in 2013-14.

Loses marks for calling us "Villains" but otherwise it's pretty spot on. 

Unspectacular. We will probably avoid relegation with moderate ease but don't we have a right to expect something better. Jury out on Paul Lambert. When will it come back and give its verdict?

We should play 4-4-2 at home. As I said before, 3 in the middle at home (with Benteke dropping deep and Gabby and Andi coming in field) leaves it congested, especially when the opposition has men behind the ball.

if we did play 442. I think we might see a drop in the performances of Hutton and Cissokho who seem to enjoy the space they are getting right now. We need to replace our attacking players who are all about pace ad strength and get some better players.

I think expecting more than midtable under Randy Lerner's current ownership is unrealistic regardless of our "stature". Hell, after the last 4(damn has it been 4?) relegation scraps I'd be quite content with a comfortable midtable finish however unspectacular that may be.

• Like 1

I think expecting more than midtable under Randy Lerner's current ownership is unrealistic regardless of our "stature". Hell, after the last 4(damn has it been 4?) relegation scraps I'd be quite content with a comfortable midtable finish however unspectacular that may be.

I think those expectations are too limited for Villa. Can't help that, it's just how I feel having supported Villa for a long time. It would be shocking if we settled into being content to be swimming with the Hulls, QPRs, West Broms, Sunderlands, etc.

Also, it is perhaps a little complacent to assume that we are comfortably heading for a mid table finish. The going gets tougher from now on. Are we prepared a tougher struggle?

I think those expectations are too limited for Villa. Can't help that, it's just how I feel having supported Villa for a long time. It would be shocking if we settled into being content to be swimming with the Hulls, QPRs, West Broms, Sunderlands, etc.

Also, it is perhaps a little complacent to assume that we are comfortably heading for a mid table finish. The going gets tougher from now on. Are we prepared a tougher struggle?

Too limited under the current ownership? Yes. For Villa in general they are way too limited for me.

You can mention it, not surprised we're back to that one now.

Previously it was tough fixtures but we've won 2 games from 15.

It was also we didn't have benteke but he's back and actually seems to be getting a bit of stick now.

It was give him till January and well here we are with points per game no different than his first year.

So I guess we're back to using funds to excuse any progress under him.

• Like 2

He's an appalling manager, and this is just another example of one of his apologists blaming the fans for his shortcomings.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â