Paul Lambert

limpid

Our passing is better, but the wet conditions showed Swansea's superior quality in that area in the first half.

We couldn't control it properly and ended up panicky.

They looked as if it wasn't raining.

Disappointed with today. The lack of creativity is overwhelming. Doesn't matter if we shift to a more possession based approach. Until we can do something with it its fairly futile.

I think some of the lack of creativity today was down to the conditions - Swansea (a nice, fluid team) didn't create much either. I thought we played well today but actually lack quality when the ball came forward on the whole. We worked into some decent positions and controlled much of the game against a good side.

Continued improvement for me - despite the result.

Our passing is better, but the wet conditions showed Swansea's superior quality in that area in the first half.

We couldn't control it properly and ended up panicky.

They looked as if it wasn't raining.

Disappointed with today. The lack of creativity is overwhelming. Doesn't matter if we shift to a more possession based approach. Until we can do something with it its fairly futile.

Agree with that. I think the fact that we are trying to pass it around now is promising. Also, we must remember that since we've adopted this style we haven't had the opportunity to add players better suited to it. February 1st should tell us more with regards to the new system.
But this new system isn't some new innovative way of playing the game. We're passing a ball. Doesn't it show Lambert's limitations that after this long we struggle to do something so basic.

His limitations are that he'll try something new?

As per usual - YAWN.

No wonder you're yawning you've just made something up.

The limitations are that we don't seem to be able to pass the ball well. I'm glad after 2 and a half years he's decided to try something new. Hopefully it actually takes us somewhere.

And continued improvement? Yawn.

On course to match his first season points total and currently score less than any team in the country.

I think us fans are becoming a little blind with the football now a little more entertaining. As progress goes, for me, there is none, 1 point from 9 is proof of this. surely.

It's hard to argue with that as statistically there has been no improvement. In Lamberts first two seasons overall we averaged just a fraction over a point a game and as things stand now this season we average a fraction over a point a game.

However I do think unlike the last couple of seasons we do have a much stronger squad this season and certainly of late we are at least trying to play better football. Given that our next 3 games are against Sunderland and Palace at home and Leicester away I'd like to think we can take between 7 and 9 points from that run and things could look much better. However I am aware we are just as likely to take only a couple of points from those games and again find ourselves in deep trouble. For me these next three games could well define how our season will pan put.

Looking solely at the game on Sunday it will be interesting to see what Lambert does personnel wise. I don't think we should go with 3 centre backs and I'd personally drop Vlaar and go with Clark and Okore but I am unsure if Lambert will have the balls to do that. Today he tried to accommodate all three by pushing Clark to left back and taking off Cissokho. Also for me Grealish needs to start but Lambert always has one eye on how well his wide forward players can defend so I am not sure that Grealish will get the nod as unlike NZogbia, Weimann and Gabby, who will put a shift in defensively, that isn't in Jacks locker. However going forward for me he could offer the creative edge we clearly lack. I hope Lambert is brave enough to play him especially as the decision is made easier with Gabby out.

Edited by markavfc40

No wonder you're yawning you've just made something up.

The limitations are that we don't seem to be able to pass the ball well. I'm glad after 2 and a half years he's decided to try something new. Hopefully it actually takes us somewhere.

And continued improvement? Yawn.

On course to match his first season points total and currently score less than any team in the country.

I thought we passed the ball well today to be honest - just lacked quality in the final third (I think the conditions hampered both sides in this regard).

For what it's worth, that's the lowest possession Swansea have seen at home this season, against a Villa side who used to be terrible in this particular area - an area that was targeted massively as something that drastically needed improving.  (Edit:  Swansea's second lowest total was against Southampton where they were down to 10 men after 33 mins).

Your point is taken about the points total and goals tally but many people have argued that the frustrating thing is watching us play crap football rather than having awful results.  I think our football play/style is improving.  So, yes, continued improvement for me.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

I think us fans are becoming a little blind with the football now a little more entertaining. As progress goes, for me, there is none, 1 point from 9 is proof of this. surely.

It's hard to argue with that as statistically there has been no improvement. In Lamberts first two seasons overall we averaged just a fraction over a point a game and as things stand now this season we average a fraction over a point a game.

However I do think unlike the last couple of seasons we do have a much stronger squad this season and certainly of late we are at least trying to play better football. Given that our next 3 games are against Sunderland and Palace at home and Leicester away I'd like to think we can take between 7 and 9 points from that run and things could look much better. However I am aware we are just as likely to take only a couple of points from those games and again find ourselves in deep trouble. For me these next three games could well define how our season will pan put.

Looking solely at the game on Sunday it will be interesting to see what Lambert does personnel wise. I don't think we should go with 3 centre backs and I'd personally drop Vlaar and go with Clark and Okore but I am unsure if Lambert will have the balls to do that. Today he tried to accommodate all three by pushing Clark to left back and taking off Cissokho. Also for me Grealish needs to start but Lambert always has one eye on how well his wide forward players can defend so I am not sure that Grealish will get the nod as unlike NZogbia, Weimann and Gabby, who will put a shift in defensively, that isn't in Jacks locker. However going forward for me he could offer the creative edge we clearly lack. I hope Lambert is brave enough to play him especially as the decision is made easier with Gabby out.

Clark will make way imo as harsh as that will be. Him being shifted from centre back from the latter part of the game hints at this.

Upfront I'd imagine it will be Weimann and benteke and I'd really like to see Grealish as the third attacker from the start. Hoefully him getting on ahead of N'zogbia today indicates the pecking order currently.

I agree its getting better to watch and you'd hope it would lead to better results. At the moment there is little improvement there and unless we go goal crazy over the 2nd half of the season I expect us to be down there.

We pass the ball well until the final 3rd where it becomes pretty awful. That suggests that when we're closed down and have to create a bit more space with passing and moving we are unable to do so. I think that's a real limitation of the manager at the moment.

Clark will make way imo as harsh as that will be. Him being shifted from centre back from the latter part of the game hints at this.

Upfront I'd imagine it will be Weimann and benteke and I'd really like to see Grealish as the third attacker from the start. Hoefully him getting on ahead of N'zogbia today indicates the pecking order currently.

I agree Clark will be the one likely to move, but I would probably of rested Okore. He has played really well, but give him a break as he has still not long returned from a long layoff. He is our future so would rather not risk him.

It's the forward six that worry me. I believe Sanchez, Delph and Benteke have their places, the other three spots should be all up for grabs.

Second half of this season a good test for progress will be if we can push Everton and Newcastle.

No one on here can convince me Newcastle have a better squad than we do, they just fluked a run of wins somehow and are now in poor form. Everton do have a better squad than us but for whatever reason it's not clicking for them this season and they'll have Europa league starting again in February.

Finish above both and we should be top 10, it will be good to at least be in the top half after seemingly an eternity away. That to me would be good progress.

Having the sort of season Swansea have would be good aswell for next season, always in the top 10 with no danger of relegation, playing decent passing football.

It's so funny people think we should have a complete squad by now. This manager has had to offload so many players and bring new ones in on the cheap. If there is one thing he hasn't failed at it is the transfer market and to me that is the most important thing to get right.

We would easily be a top half side with a creative midfielder and two wide forwards.

To my knowledge we only have the cash to buy one and that should be a creative midfielder no point having a world class Benteke if you can't give him decent balls to score from

• Like 2

I agree Clark will be the one likely to move, but I would probably of rested Okore. He has played really well, but give him a break as he has still not long returned from a long layoff. He is our future so would rather not risk him.

It's the forward six that worry me. I believe Sanchez, Delph and Benteke have their places, the other three spots should be all up for grabs.

Lambert has now taken Aly off twice in a row and pushed Clark to LB. He may start next game like this.

Lambert has now taken Aly off twice in a row and pushed Clark to LB. He may start next game like this.

You very well could be right. Clark did okay there today, but he usually gets caught out for pass, which I would be worried about again.

I can see improvements, we're a lot more solid and the new brand of football in the last few weeks looks like it could be a success BUT we need to score goals. 11 goals in 18 games is positively shocking, and it dosent seem to be likely to change unless Benteke pulls off a worldy. We need creativity, Gabby and Andy don't privide that, I'm sick of the same front 3. Lambert bottled it by playing the back 5, I understood it against United, but our full backs don't push on enough.

I hope we finally get the get a wide or number 10 player in January, but I wouldn't bet on it, we haven't inter last 5 windows either.

It's so funny people think we should have a complete squad by now. This manager has had to offload so many players and bring new ones in on the cheap. If there is one thing he hasn't failed at it is the transfer market and to me that is the most important thing to get right.

We would easily be a top half side with a creative midfielder and two wide forwards.

To my knowledge we only have the cash to buy one and that should be a creative midfielder no point having a world class Benteke if you can't give him decent balls to score from

This is a good narrative until you add in the detail that among the players he's "had to" offload are Luna, Bennett, Sylla, Tonev, Helenius, El Ahmadi, and Bowery - all players he brought to the club  but who weren't good enough.

I suppose you could add Hutton to the "must offload" list, except now he is playing a key part in our defence this season.

Lambert has had 5 transfer windows to get in a creative midfielder and he hasn't really looked like he knows what that means. I'm not hopeful about him being 6th time lucky.

I think Lambert's transfer activity has been average. Also, an equally important role of a manager is to get his team winning matches and that is an area where he has shown himself to be seriously lacking.

Edited by briny_ear

This is a good narrative until you add in the detail that among the players he's "had to" offload are Luna, Bennett, Sylla, Tonev, Helenius, El Ahmadi, and Bowery - all players he brought to the club  but who weren't good enough.

I suppose you could add Hutton to the "must offload" list, except now he is playing a key part in our defence this season.

Lambert has had 5 transfer windows to get in a creative midfielder and he hasn't really looked like he knows what that means. I'm not hopeful about him being 6th time lucky.

I think Lambert's transfer activity has been average. Also, an equally important role of a manager is to get his team winning matches and that is an area where he has shown himself to be seriously lacking.

Don't forget the detail of the players you are happy with and have improved under Lambert. Benteke, Vlaar, Okore, Cissoko, Kozak, Westwood, Sanchez, Delph, Guzan, El Ahmadi, and players used from the academy like Clark, Baker, Weimann, Grealish, Agbonlahor, and don't forget all the players out on loan this season that are getting game time and a chance to up their game for next season, like Sylla, Helenius, Gardner.

Edited by momo

Improvement to me is 4 points v Sunderland and Palace. I would love the full 6 but we won't break down Sunderland imo.

Still 24 points and the table will be looking comfortable with Leicester and Liverpool coming up after that aswell.

Please no more false dawns with form.

• Like 1

Recent games we have showed definite improvements.

But our game still hinges on either Hutton or Cissokho putting in crosses to our strikers, yet neither are really quick and skilled enough to be able to do that. Yes both have had moments where they have showed they can attack well, but as soon as they are man marked they are out of it. Then we have nothing centrally to unlock a defence.

Edited by VillanousOne

This is a good narrative until you add in the detail that among the players he's "had to" offload are Luna, Bennett, Sylla, Tonev, Helenius, El Ahmadi, and Bowery - all players he brought to the club but who weren't good enough.

Some of those players are still here and just out on loan and the combined total of those players brought are a joke.

It's like moaning about mon buying harewood when he was trying to flesh out a squad.

Clearly could do with more goals, but a definite improvement all round recently for me.

Can a Lambert change his spots?

We played away against a side known for their passing game in atrocious conditions and outplayed them at their own game. That's something I would never expect from a Lambert side. Something has definitely changed - and long may it continue.

Yes, we still lost, we lack creativity and composure in the final third - but I can forgive that so long as I see some sort of progress.....

... and I saw that today. 

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â