Paul Lambert

limpid

Having more money to spend just raises the odds of getting a better player...no guarantee's.

A manager with a good backroom staff and a load of Nous with decent money...will challenge another manager with loads of money and not much idea.....Thats my opinion.

example as hypothetical as it is.... Mourinho would have managed a far better fist of spending 46 mill and with his know how & would have had us playing in a far more rounded & balanced fashion.

ps Too much emphasis on money spent IMO....There also seems that this conception that some new owner is going to splash the cash....keep lighting the candles in church folks.

Mourinho would laugh his head off if he was told he had only 46 million to spend over 3 seasons!

He didn't at Porto

No, he just inherited the best squad in the league. I'm not disagreeing with his man management and tactical nous but he really is a bit of a cheque book manager.

because he can...why do it the hard way when you can do it the easy way.

I seem to remember him bringing in a number of players at Porto on modest sums....I just think this money thing in isolation is a bit of a kop out.

Don't get me wrong money is a big part of it....but there are many other important factors to get right too.

Yeah his net spend at Porto was around break even point. I'm not sure anyone is saying that the lack of funds on its own is an excuse though are they? Unless i've missed it which I may have.

For what its worth I agree. Not having money to spend shouldn't be a kop out on its own. I do however think that in an ultra competitive league, barely spending, and still managing to stay in the league is quite impressive. Albeit done by playing bang average football.

You think what he's done at villa is impressive? You're impressed by breaking club records? Impressed by losing 50% of the time?

I can understand the conditions he's had to work under but to say its impressive is ridiculous IMO.

Managing to stay in the league by barely spending in comparison to others is, yes. Did I say anything about the records or did you just go to your standard list of stats that you throw into every post for the fun of it?

We all seen what he did when he spent his record spend of 7million. A wooping 7 mill. People dont mention that record when they are going on about his records

And funnily enough people don't bring this up when they say we can't compete because of money spent. Strange that.

Are you actually suggesting now that £7 million is something to be impressed by in terms of money spent on a player??

We all seen what he did when he spent his record spend of 7million. A wooping 7 mill. People dont mention that record when they are going on about his records

And funnily enough people don't bring this up when they say we can't compete because of money spent. Strange that.

Im not sure i understand your response? You mean a record fee of 7 million on one player over a 3 year period is competing?

• Like 1

But you still keep repeating the same again and again. 'It is injuries', it us just bizarre how injuries makes us very defensive, unavlble to use the ball and yet we can play football - like against Burnley, with injuries.

No, I keep saying that it's injuries AND inadequate spending on the squad and their salaries.

do you genuinely not entertain the idea that perhaps the manager isn't using the players at his disposal in a way that gets the best out of them on the pitch?
Do you genuinely think it's that simple?

Do I think it's the only issue? No. But I'd like to see the manager actually getting the best out of the players before I start throwing the blame around elsewhere. Why would you start anywhere other than the players on the pitch and the man who sends them out to play?

No amount of changes above and behind the manager will make a difference if he's not capable of using his playing staff properly, and I don't think he is. In fact I think he's pretty dreadful at that particular task. No amount of money or a lack of injuries or a new owner will fix that

All the arguing about money means F*** all if you can't even beat a league one side, over 2 legs. I mean it wasn't the usual League one side lucky win, it was over 2 legs and Lambert did not have a clue. This has a huge bearing on his tenure here. Makes me think if he did spend big money could he really be up there and compete with the top six, I mean they use tactics and full on attacking play an stuff??

• Like 1

Having more money to spend just raises the odds of getting a better player...no guarantee's.

A manager with a good backroom staff and a load of Nous with decent money...will challenge another manager with loads of money and not much idea.....Thats my opinion.

example as hypothetical as it is.... Mourinho would have managed a far better fist of spending 46 mill and with his know how & would have had us playing in a far more rounded & balanced fashion.

ps Too much emphasis on money spent IMO....There also seems that this conception that some new owner is going to splash the cash....keep lighting the candles in church folks.

Mourinho would laugh his head off if he was told he had only 46 million to spend over 3 seasons!
He didn't at Porto
No, he just inherited the best squad in the league. I'm not disagreeing with his man management and tactical nous but he really is a bit of a cheque book manager.

I seem to remember him bringing in a number of players at Porto on modest sums....I just think this money thing in isolation is a bit of a kop out.

Don't get me wrong money is a big part of it....but there are many other important factors to get right too.

Yeah his net spend at Porto was around break even point. I'm not sure anyone is saying that the lack of funds on its own is an excuse though are they? Unless i've missed it which I may have.

For what its worth I agree. Not having money to spend shouldn't be a kop out on its own. I do however think that in an ultra competitive league, barely spending, and still managing to stay in the league is quite impressive. Albeit done by playing bang average football.

You think what he's done at villa is impressive? You're impressed by breaking club records? Impressed by losing 50% of the time?

I can understand the conditions he's had to work under but to say its impressive is ridiculous IMO.

Managing to stay in the league by barely spending in comparison to others is, yes. Did I say anything about the records or did you just go to your standard list of stats that you throw into every post for the fun of it?

So you're impressed? Staying in the league comes with what's happened. If you're impressed by these last few years I can see why you jump on people who don't rate lambert. Although I have no idea why you're actually impressed.

Im not sure i understand your response? You mean a record fee of 7 million on one player over a 3 year period is competing?

My point is you can't turn round and say 'wow great work Lambert finding a world class striker for £7 million' and also turn round and say 'well we can't compete because we don't spend as much as other teams.'

He didn't at Porto

So you're impressed? Staying in the league comes with what's happened. If you're impressed by these last few years I can see why you jump on people who don't rate lambert. Although I have no idea why you're actually impressed.

5289465+_b5033e41c86914e0f0ba519f50f2f4e

My point is you can't turn round and say 'wow great work Lambert finding a world class striker for £7 million' and also turn round and say 'well we can't compete because we don't spend as much as other teams.'

Why not? 7 million isnt competing, thats my point. Especially when its your record purchase over a 3 year period.

In terms of money spent, you can't just look at that and say we should struggle because of it.

Spurs paid £30 million for soldado and we paid £7 million for benteke. You'd be stupid to say they have a better player because they spent more.

Lambert signed guzan for free, does that mean he's worse than other keepers managers paid for?

Lambert didn't spend a penny on delph and gabby, are they worse than players other clubs paid for?

Like with most facts, using money spent in isolation to claim you're impressed or to defend lambert is pretty weak. So many things that need to be taken into account.

Why not? 7 million isnt competing, thats my point. Especially when its your record purchase over a 3 year period.

So benteke is no good because we paid so little for him?

Nice picture and good work of deflecting. You used the phrase impressed. That was your choice.

I'm not deflecting. I already explained it to you. You chose not to understand it so why should I repeat myself? Good night X
Your explanation was that you're impressed he managed to keep us in the league. Surely that comes with everything that's happened. After all its our performances and results that have kept us in there. Edited by DCJonah

In terms of money spent, you can't just look at that and say we should struggle because of it.

Spurs paid £30 million for soldado and we paid £7 million for benteke. You'd be stupid to say they have a better player because they spent more.

Lambert signed guzan for free, does that mean he's worse than other keepers managers paid for?

Lambert didn't spend a penny on delph and gabby, are they worse than players other clubs paid for?

Like with most facts, using money spent in isolation to claim you're impressed or to defend lambert is pretty weak. So many things that need to be taken into account.

So benteke is no good because we paid so little for him?

Yes i agree there are other things but that is the point im arguing at the moment. And to be honest, unfortunately with the way football has went since sky came to the table, money is the major factor.

Nice picture and good work of deflecting. You used the phrase impressed. That was your choice.

I'm not deflecting. I already explained it to you. You chose not to understand it so why should I repeat myself? Good night X
Your explanation was that you're impressed he managed to keep us in the league. Surely that comes with everything that's happened. After all its our performances and results that have kept us in there.

Ok, I'm biting. Do you think that I said that not having a lot of money to spend is a reason to not blame Lambert for anything? If so then you clearly never read my posts properly. 

I won't argue with that but at the same time its easy to dismiss poor performances with lack of spending.

We could have a spine of guzan, senderos, delph, benteke. For that Lambert spent £7 million. That doesn't make it something that can't compete because he didn't spend much on it.

Your explanation was that you're impressed he managed to keep us in the league. Surely that comes with everything that's happened. After all its our performances and results that have kept us in there.

Ok, I'm biting. Do you think that I said that not having a lot of money to spend is a reason to not blame Lambert for anything? If so then you clearly never read my posts properly.

You said you were impressed he kept us in the league. If you're impressed by that final achievement then surely you're impressed by what caused that, which would be performances and results.

You said you were impressed he kept us in the league. If you're impressed by that final achievement then surely you're impressed by what caused that, which would be performances and results.

So for me to be impressed that a manager has managed to keep us in the league in spite of the challenges he faces means I must find the results and performances impressive as well? Really? So I can either be impressed by everything or disappointed by everything, I'm not allowed to appreciate the challenges the man has faced but also be unimpressed by his tactics or style of football?

• Like 4

Â