Paul Lambert

limpid

Anyone that thinks the performance against Spurs was 'superb' has led a really sheltered life.

I have seen us play far better than that over the years and to use the superlative 'superb' to describe any Villa performance under Lambert is absolutely ridiculous.

Not really - there's been a few superb performances (the Spurs game wasn't one of them). I actually think some of them under Lambert have been among the best ones we've seen over the past decade. They're just incredibly few and far between and we see many more poor performances.

Sunderland 6-1, beating arsenal at emirates and the final run in of his first season were all superb. Its just never been built on.

Anyone that thinks the performance against Spurs was 'superb' has led a really sheltered life.

I have seen us play far better than that over the years and to use the superlative 'superb' to describe any Villa performance under Lambert is absolutely ridiculous.

Not really - there's been a few superb performances (the Spurs game wasn't one of them). I actually think some of them under Lambert have been among the best ones we've seen over the past decade. They're just incredibly few and far between and we see many more poor performances.

Sunderland 6-1, beating arsenal at emirates and the final run in of his first season were all superb. Its just never been built on.

Beating Sunderland 6-1 and Arsenal at the Emirates were good performances but not superb in my opinion.

I guess it comes down to what you have to compare to.

Having seen the teams and performances that saw us win the League, the European Cup and several League Cups my definition of a superb performance is probably quite different to that of some other people.

I don't think it's the fact that he's getting his views challenged more that bothers Richard, I think it's that he sometimes comes in for a lot of snide, pointless attacks just by virtue of the fact that he still backs Lambert. It's the manner some people go about it rather than the criticism itself.

For the record I don't agree with a lot of what Richard says on Lambert these days.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

As for those stats: McLeish would have NEVER got away with those. Nobody would still be backing him.

I don't see many people backing Lambert here.

You don't see many but there are some? McLeish would have none.

Very very few.

IIRC he did have some support at the end just not very much. Admittedly he probably had a bit less than Lambert's got but I think that's got more to do with the fact that he had more money to spend and that he's never played attacking football whereas Lambert has, just not nearly often enough as she should.

Edited by Mantis

Not at all as I didn't believe then that ganging up and shouting down took place .  It has been a recent (last 4 or so months) happening.

Exactly my point. You have only noticed it since opinions like yours are no longer the mainstream and thus more people challenge your posts than previously. Which is indicative of the double-standards on here at times.

Ultimately this is a forum and there is no limit to how many people can challenge a post. Forums in themselves simply offer a general microcosm of wider opinion anyway. Twelve months ago your views would've met little disagreement and generated lots of 'likes' etc. but the tide has turned since. That's just the way it is. To continually whinge about it and play the victim comes across as feeble and undignified in my opinion.

You're missing the point totally.  I dont mind challenge Ive said that loads of times.  I've explained what I see as wrong and you're conveniently missing that

I don't think it's the fact that he's getting his views challenged more that bothers Richard, I think it's that he sometimes comes in for a lot of snide, pointless attacks just by virtue of the fact that he still backs Lambert. It's the manner some people go about it rather than the criticism itself.

For the record I don't agree with a lot of what Richard says on Lambert these days.

exactly right you dont agree with a lot I say on Lambert but I have no issues with that

As for those stats: McLeish would have NEVER got away with those. Nobody would still be backing him.

See,  what is the problem with that? Why is it a problem that people support Lambert but didnt support Mcleish?

I think snide comments have come from both sides. It doesn't really help anything though.

• Like 2

McLeish had none before the end of his only season in charge having spent 17 mill trying to replace Ash Young, Downing, Luke Young, Reo Coker, Freidel and Heskey who left in the summer of 2011. We struggled though and in the main served up negative tripe. There were mitigating circumstances in terms of finances and injuries to key players in Bent, Dunne, Given and Petrov but for me he was rightly shown the door.

Lambert has been given far more grace. I know I have certainly given him way more. I thought he had more about him than McLeish though and he possibly still has. However that spineless run of performances at the back end of last season changed my opinion. I can excuse a lack of quality but the total lack of fight was unforgivable. We didn't lose against Swansea, Palace, Stoke, Fulham because they were better than us. We lost because they wanted it more.

I respect those that still back him though and that can still make a strong case for mitigating circumstances and for as long as he remains in charge I hope they are proved to be right.

• Like 1

I don't think it's the fact that he's getting his views challenged more that bothers Richard, I think it's that he sometimes comes in for a lot of snide, pointless attacks just by virtue of the fact that he still backs Lambert.

Snidey posts have always been commonplace on here from all sides. Most of us have been on the receiving end of these at some point or another. The fact that he is claiming that this didn't happen until four months ago is farcical.

Snideness is inevitable whenever you hold views that are highly contentious. I've received my fair share and you only have to look at the replies to the likes of Con or Morpheus for other examples. I don't recall anyone else making quite the meal of it that Richard has been though.

You're missing the point totally.  I dont mind challenge Ive said that loads of times.  I've explained what I see as wrong and you're conveniently missing that

I haven't. You are treating yourself as a special case in regard to something that happens all the time. See above.

Edited by Isa

Amazing what a net spend of more than 10 teams in the division, since his arrival, gets you.

Is that true!? I asked this way back in the thread and never got an answer.

Yes it is true and in fact it is actually 11 teams:

Lambert has spent a net £46m since he graced us with his presence.  Let's see the net spends of some of the other teams in the league over the same period:

1) Burnley: -£2.3m

2 ) Palace: £18.5m

3) Leicester: £14.2m

4) Newcastle: £19.4m

5) Southampton: £33.8m

6) Stoke: £23.5m

7) Sunderland: £37.6m

8) Swansea: £11.7m

9) Spurs: -£3.4m

10) West Brom: £15.4m

11) Everton: £18.2m

For avoidance of doubt this is taken from transfer league.co.uk so independent data.

So only 8 teams (currently in the premier league) on a net basis have spent more than us since his arrival!

Does quash the myth IMO that he hasn't been backed on transfers.

The real issues are:

a) he hasn't purchased,on the whole, well enough.

b ) he hasn't got maximum value, on the whole, for players we have sold.

c) As I asked yesterday and didn't get an answer can someone please list the players Lambert has made a profit on when selling?

d) Due to his negative style many players don't reach their potential. 

Lambert out.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

Amazing what a net spend of more than 10 teams in the division, since his arrival, gets you.

Is that true!? I asked this way back in the thread and never got an answer.

Lambert has spent a net £46m since he graced us with his presence.  Let's see the net spends

I'll stop you there. This has been explained to you before: Nett spends are meaningless. Gross spends are what actually gives you an actual idea of what's actually going on, which may be why you aren't interested in those figures.

Lambert has spent a net £46m since he graced us with his presence.  Let's see the net spends

I'll stop you there. This has been explained to you before: Nett spends are meaningless. Gross spends are what actually gives you an actual idea of what's actually going on, which may be why you aren't interested in those figures.

Incorrect.

So if gross spends are what actually gives you an idea of what is going on what happens to the players you sell? 

Do they just disappear?!

I actually agree that net-spends can be misleasing but if we do gross spend then Lambert has had ~£60m available so far (if we include the Cleverley money). So there really is no excuse.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â