Paul Lambert

limpid

It's all quite simple, Lerner is selling the club. He's just released funds for the manager to buy decent players and he sure as hell deserves the time to see how the squad performs over the course of a season with them. Lerner also realises the end of last season slump and our current season have been without our best player Benteke.

Lerner gave Lambert a new contract as stability is key to a club, the last thing he would want is Lambert to do well and then get a longer contract job offer and leave Villa while Lerner is in the throws of finding new owners. Villa are in a holding pattern now until we get the new investment. 

Sacking managers in the early part of a season is always a bad idea, unless there has been some breakdown with the playing staff or relationships with Chief Exec. Moan all you want, but our record against teams outside of last seasons top 8 this season has been W,D,W,L,D  that is 1.6 points per game. That is a good return from games we should be getting the points from. 

Just try be pragmatic. I know it's a crazy thing to ask. But waiting until March before deciding on the axe falling - granted we are not in the relegation zone - and then looking for a replacement for Lambert to appoint in May is a much more reasoned option than sacking him now. 

I am glad that Lerner isn't entertaining the idea of sacking Lambert without giving his new team a full chance to attack these next 8 fixtures and pull the club up the table. All the keystrokes we use in this thread won't alter that. 

That's the most positive thing. 

• Like 2

Possible VALUE of our players.

Guzan - 8m

Hutton - 4m

Okore - 4m

Clark - 2m

Cissokho - 4m

Westwood - 4m

Cleverley - 8m

Sanchez - 4.5m

Weimann - 4m

Agbonlahor - 4m

Nzogbia - 3 million

What I think people don't realize in their clamour to change managers is that any positive change (if that) will be negligible in the grand scheme of things as long as Lerner is still the owner.

That's not a guarantee. Look at blues. Owner worse than ours, financial situation worse than ours and they've picked up results and fans feeling good about the club again.

That could easily be new manager syndrome, it's only a few games in. It might not be a guarantee (nothing in football is) but it's damn near it. Much like how Blues will most stay near the relegation zone (unless he turns out to be an exceptional manager), we'll be hoping to survive and a great season would be something like 12th place and decent-ish football. It sounds sad, but it's unfortunately where we are under Lerner. Unless we somehow manage to land an exceptional manager (we thought Lambert would be that up and coming manager who'd realize his potential with us, but alas), it's not going to change. 

• Like 1

I dont like lamberts style one bit. At the end of the day we all love AVFC i dont like where where are at the moment its hard to accept a truly grear club like ours is going the way it is. We as a club are going backwards.

I honestly feel and this is my opinion lambert cant see anything wrong when jan comes we need a winger and defo a creative mid tgis is something lambert has failed ti address the last 4 windows.

I expect relegation with no immediete return unless lambert is told thanks but no thanks.

Product sells and i think we are all getting a product that is not what were paying for.

Guzan - 8m

Hutton - 4m

Okore - 4m

Clark - 2m

Cissokho - 4m

Westwood - 4m

Cleverley - 8m

Sanchez - 4.5m

Weimann - 4m

Agbonlahor - 4m

Nzogbia - 3 million

What do you mean by value? The amount we'd get if we sold them?

I think we'd get more for Westwood if we sold him than £4m. But we'd get less for Agbonlahor. i don't think anyone would pay 4m for Gabby, unfortunately.

I'd also say you're right with Okore, but I wouldn't be surprised if we revisited this list at the end of the season we'd be touting Okore as being worth much more

Guzan - 8m

Hutton - 4m

Okore - 4m

Clark - 2m

Cissokho - 4m

Westwood - 4m

Cleverley - 8m

Sanchez - 4.5m

Weimann - 4m

Agbonlahor - 4m

Nzogbia - 3 million

What do you mean by value? The amount we'd get if we sold them?

I think we'd get more for Westwood if we sold him than £4m. But we'd get less for Agbonlahor. i don't think anyone would pay 4m for Gabby, unfortunately.

I'd also say you're right with Okore, but I wouldn't be surprised if we revisited this list at the end of the season we'd be touting Okore as being worth much more

Just off the top of my head really. I rare Westwood but didn't want to turn it into another 'Westwood is/isn't good' thread. I think a team like Hull, maybe Palace, would pay that for Gabby. It is hard to say. But we must stop saying 'we paid ??? for such and such' as a lot of the players are worth more, in fact we did get some bargains.

Why can't Lambert get the best out of them? If we knew that, we'd have a greater understanding as to why we having been playing poorly for so long.

In regards to the original post, would Zatman also say we had an 18m striker on the bench? Or can values only decline/stay the same?

All opinions Stevo but I reckon both figures for Westwood and Gabby would be pretty spot on.

I reckon the £8m thing for Cleverely is a myth, the market sets the price and I don't think there has ever been or will be (in next 12 months) a club prepared to pay that money for him. It is unfortunate this figure has somehow become truth in media because I think fans are regularly using it as a stick to beat him with. Would be good if Trent could shed some light on that?

Also I reckon bearing in mind wages I think we'd struggle to give N'Zogbia away let alone get £3m.

All opinions Stevo but I reckon both figures for Westwood and Gabby would be pretty spot on.

I reckon the £8m thing for Cleverely is a myth, the market sets the price and I don't think there has ever been or will be (in next 12 months) a club prepared to pay that money for him. It is unfortunate this figure has somehow become truth in media because I think fans are regularly using it as a stick to beat him with. Would be good if Trent could shed some light on that?

Also I reckon bearing in mind wages I think we'd struggle to give N'Zogbia away let alone get £3m.

I agree on N'Zogbia - sort of - I was thinking of when we bought Heskey, he was in his last 6 months, an attacking player etc. I felt we could get a few million from a team in France, maybe Spain. My original figure (before I changed it) was 1.5m.

Christ now the performance against Spurs was now superb, talk about some people having an agenda.

Relative to the crap we had to endure the 6 games prior, I'd say so yes. It was still a decent performance though under any circumstance.

If we lose to Burnley are the fans who want to stick with him gonna change there views. Or will a draw again, be a good enough result.

really infuriates me.

Why does it matter when how why or where fans with a different opinion to those who want the manager get sacked change their mind and jump on board with everyone else?

is it to create a bigger pitchfork group to storm the ground and drag him out?  Why does it matter that we all hold the same opinion?

Christ now the performance against Spurs was now superb, talk about some people having an agenda.

Relative to the crap we had to endure the 6 games prior, I'd say so yes. It was still a decent performance though under any circumstance.

It was dire, just not as dire as some previous games. To say it was superb is ridiculous, even decent is stretching it. 40% possesion and 1 shot on target in 93 mins of football is dreadful

Of course Lerner shoulders a large amount of the blame for our present predicament by his poor decisions and his consequent cost cutting, but I have come to the conclusion fairly recently, after backing Lambert from the start and then giving him more time, more time, more time - that Lambert is just not up to the task.

Whether another manager can do any better I do not know, but I suspect there are gettable managers who could.

But with Lerner in charge, could he find a gettable manager - doubtful.

No matter about other managers, I also think that Lambert is going nowhere on the back of his 4 year deal, and I think, regardless of our diverse opinions, that we all need to hope that he is good enough to keep us up, because I fear that, under Lerner, we are sleepwalking into relegation.

Of course Lerner shoulders a large amount of the blame for our present predicament by his poor decisions and his consequent cost cutting, but I have come to the conclusion fairly recently, after backing Lambert from the start and then giving him more time, more time, more time - that Lambert is just not up to the task.

Whether another manager can do any better I do not know, but I suspect there are gettable managers who could.

But with Lerner in charge, could he find a gettable manager - doubtful.

No matter about other managers, I also think that Lambert is going nowhere on the back of his 4 year deal, and I think, regardless of our diverse opinions, that we all need to hope that he is good enough to keep us up, because I fear that, under Lerner, we are sleepwalking into relegation.

And the task is?

I'm pretty sure its to keep us in the division on a shoe string budget. Which he is clearly doing.

• Like 1

YOU CAN NOT DO UP A HOUSE WITH NEXT TO NO MONEY HOWEVER GOOD A DIY'ER YOU ARE! 

He hasn't been blessed with funds but he has had some money to spend. I think the thing I find hardest to stomach is that in his first season we finished on 42 points and especially towards the end of that season were playing some decent attacking football. I wasn't then expecting miracles but I was hoping we may then kick on a little over the next couple of seasons.

Mark, we've hardly had Benteke for a season and a half now. He is important. Our other 7 million pound (according to some sources) striker has a broken leg.

And those are our best strikers. How many teams in the league are playing winning football without even one single striker or attacking player worth more than about 4 million pounds?

It's not ALL about money, but this situation is taking the piss.

• Like 1

If we lose to Burnley are the fans who want to stick with him gonna change there views. Or will a draw again, be a good enough result.

really infuriates me.

Why does it matter when how why or where fans with a different opinion to those who want the manager get sacked change their mind and jump on board with everyone else?

is it to create a bigger pitchfork group to storm the ground and drag him out?  Why does it matter that we all hold the same opinion?

Most fans on here who still support Lambert have opinions, i.e lose the next run of games with dire football they want him gone like there is a limit.. It just seems yourself would support him if we ended up in League one, still saying we haven't the budget of the other teams, his hands are tied, we have injuries. I just wonder how far Lambert can go with losing games and this dire football because to me, certain fans seem to want him here whatever..................

really infuriates me.

Most fans on here who still support Lambert have opinions, i.e lose the next run of games with dire football they want him gone like there is a limit.. It just seems yourself would support him if we ended up in League one, still saying we haven't the budget of the other teams, his hands are tied, we have injuries. I just wonder how far Lambert can go with losing games and this dire football because to me, certain fans seem to want him here whatever..................

I think if you think "certain fans want him here whatever" or that people would "support him if we ended up in League one" Then you need to read more closely what people are saying because nobody is saying that at all. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â