Paul Lambert

limpid

6 wins in 28 games!

To be fair to Lambert though i think one area he doesn't get credit for is the way we come on so strong in the second half of games.

With the way we out pass teams you can see towards the end of the game the opposition often get tired where they've been chasing the ball for most of the game.

Then we have the superb half time team talks - we always score a bucket load of goals in the second half especially after the 55th minute. I'm just recalling them all now.

And those substitutions - wow. How can a manager get it right so often. 

Stats for AV in PL 2014/5

Goals Scored 20th

Shots 20th

Shots on target 20th

Shot conversion rate 20th

Shooting accuracy 20th

Chances created - take a wild guess (clue - 20 teams in PL)

SSN 26.11.2014

Goals Scored 20th

Shots 20th

Shots on target 20th

Shooting accuracy 20th

SSN 26.11.2014

I'd have thought our shot conversion rate would be pretty good! :o

I don't think the media or fans of other clubs would be shocked if he got the sack. Speaks volumes really.

If we lose to Burnley are the fans who want to stick with him gonna change there views. Or will a draw again, be a good enough result.

Depends on the game for me - and probably the run up until end of December.  As I said earlier, if we're still stuck in a rut by then, then I'd be "happy" to see him shifted.

Yeah but think of all the defensive blocks

Goals Scored 20th

Shots 20th

Shots on target 20th

Shooting accuracy 20th

SSN 26.11.2014

Yeah but we have had injuries. Oh every team has injuries.

Yeah but we've played hard teams. Oh but we look awful against most teams we play - including losing to Leyton Orient.

Yeah but we need to give Lambert more time. Oh but he's had 100 games!

Yeah but he hasn't spent anything. Oh but on a net basis he's outspent half of the premier league since his arrival!

Yeah but he's kept us up. Oh but he should do!

Yeah but it's not his job for the team to be entertaining - oh but he said we would be!

Edited by Brumstopdogs

Say there was one choice; Lambert gets sack and Lerner stays on for another decade, or Lerner sells up but stipulates Lambert must be allowed to at least see out his new contract. Which one would be best for the club?

Relegation this year without change of manager. Relegation next year without change of owner.

Say there was one choice; Lambert gets sack and Lerner stays on for another decade, or Lerner sells up but stipulates Lambert must be allowed to at least see out his new contract. Which one would be best for the club?

For me, changing manager will not have any significant impact on our future. Well, so far as in we may get a handful of places higher (12th highest) or may get a handful of places lower and be relegated but basically it'll be much of a muchness and too much of a gamble it's the second one for me.

However, I believe Lambert will get sacked and what is clearly the majority of fans will be suitably appeased and distracted by the promise of something new. Unfortunately all missing the real root cause. Lerner's on to a winner with everyone blaming Lambert for 99% his choices, lack of involvement and investment and he can hide happily in the States while Lambert takes the vitriol. Then sack him, get plaudits for 'doing the right thing' and reset with which ever new manager comes in. I think he did this with McLeish to some degree too - make them reduce the quality of the team through lack of financial support, let them take the blame for the obvious downturn in performances and then sack them when the clamour becomes untenable; but McLeish was always going to get less time from supporters that Lambert.

Put it this way; I'm convinced that Lambert will get the sack to the pleasure of the majority eventually but will happily be quoted as saying that if Lerner stays on, giving the same amount of 'effort' he has since MON left, then I guarantee nothing will change and we'll all still hate everything about the club two years in to the new managers job when he should have 'improved' us.

Lerner withdraws time, effort, support, cash and neither Houllier (still getting £18m Bent in crisis), McLeish (allowed £10m N'Zogbia) or Lambert (£7m for Benteke) have been able to do anything to get us back up there. And looking at the constant squeezing of every penny, the next managers top signing will be £5m at most. Let's just hope he is allowed to play our high earners of Westwood, Lowton and Grealish so we don't have a bomb squad mark ii!

YOU CAN NOT DO UP A HOUSE WITH NEXT TO NO MONEY HOWEVER GOOD A DIY'ER YOU ARE! Lambert had no assets, or not ones he was allowed to utilise which therefore effected their value further, and has averaged £2.2m per signing. In the premiership that's not enough to stand still nevermind progress. 

But we're all shouting in the wind now, no ones really left on the fence and there's little to discuss. It might be depressing to say that this (surviving) is the best we can hope for but unfortunately i genuinely believe it is while Lerner remains in charge with his current perameters.

I wont cry if Lambert goes by any means, I'll thank him for keeping us up, think he had an impossible task and then feel sorry for the next poor idiot who takes over as they won't stand a chance.

Everything I could have said on this issue brilliantly summed up. Excellent post. What I think people don't realize in their clamour to change managers is that any positive change (if that) will be negligible in the grand scheme of things as long as Lerner is still the owner.

• Like 3

What I think people don't realize in their clamour to change managers is that any positive change (if that) will be negligible in the grand scheme of things as long as Lerner is still the owner.

That's not a guarantee. Look at blues. Owner worse than ours, financial situation worse than ours and they've picked up results and fans feeling good about the club again.

I'm talking about a stupid decision by our best player to get sent off over nothing. That decision and it's impact on the game was Bentekes fault, not Lamberts. You then try to play that as similar to normal events that occured in the other matches, most goals are scored by mistakes you know.

So goalkeepers rushing out and missing the ball is a normal event in a match. Players getting sent off isn't? You claimed if it wasn't for benteke getting sent off we should have l,w,d,d those games. Like I said a ridiculosly biased and simple view of the games.

We lost to QPR, we needed a performance in the next match against Spurs and we got a superb one and everyone was back feeling good until that one moment of idiocy from Benteke.

Do you remember the sitters spurs missed in the first half? It was an improvement but the fact you think it was superb explains a lot to me why you're fine with the last few years.

But that is me, approaching this with logic rational thought.

It really wasn't. You always seem to post like you understand the game better than anyone else. Yet like I said your simple biased analysis ignores so many other issues that were present in those performances.

YOU CAN NOT DO UP A HOUSE WITH NEXT TO NO MONEY HOWEVER GOOD A DIY'ER YOU ARE! 

He hasn't been blessed with funds but he has had some money to spend. I think the thing I find hardest to stomach is that in his first season we finished on 42 points and especially towards the end of that season were playing some decent attacking football. I wasn't then expecting miracles but I was hoping we may then kick on a little over the next couple of seasons.

Off the top of my head since then we have signed Bacuna, Tonev, Kozak, Luna, Okore, Helenius, Steer, Cole, Senderos, Cissokho, Sylla, Sanchez, Cleverley and Richardson. Hutton has also come back in from the cold. The only notable departures, who were actually getting some game time, I can think of since the end of the 12/13 season have been Albrighton, Bannan, Bowery, Ireland, Holman, Al Ahmadi and Lichaj.

Therefore I think it’s difficult to stomach that despite improving the squad since the end of the 12/13 season we have actually gone backwards both in results and in performances. In addition to the signings I would have also hoped that the younger inexperienced lads who were finding their feet in the top flight in the 12/13 season would have kicked on and been better players now. Sadly though the likes of Lowton and Bennett have gone backwards and arguably players like Weimann and Westwood have stood still.

To me then it is simply not good enough that despite improving the squad, despite the young inexperienced players gaining the top flight experience, despite changes in coaching staff that since 12/13 we have gone from an attacking side that had plenty of heart, liked to have a real go and that showed a fair amount of promise to a side that has since had worse results and is now serving up dire negative football and is scared of losing a game at the risk of trying to win it.

• Like 1

Then we had QPR, Spurs, West Ham & Southampton where we should have had L,W,D,D or better if it was not for 1 stupid incident by Benteke.

I think that's a very biased analysis.  You mention the benteke mistake costing us but fail to mention the mistake that allowed us to score against southampton.  I also think we were very fortunate to get a draw against west ham, they missed some very good chances.  

I'm talking about a stupid decision by our best player to get sent off over nothing. That decision and it's impact on the game was Bentekes fault, not Lamberts. You then try to play that as similar to normal events that occured in the other matches, most goals are scored by mistakes you know. 

We lost to QPR, we needed a performance in the next match against Spurs and we got a superb one and everyone was back feeling good until that one moment of idiocy from Benteke. The what if he didn't get sent off rings through my mind, would we have 7 points from those games instead of 2 with people in buoyant mood? Quite possibly, 5 points at the least.

But that is me, approaching this with logic rational thought. 

I keep trying to leave this thread then read stuff like this.

The performance against Spurs is now assuming legendary status....'a superb one'.........if that doesnt show how delusional some are becoming what does ?

I saw the game.  There was nothing, nothing, about it that was in any way superb.  And I dont recall anybody saying so afterwards, still less at the time

Haha, you got to admire the way - without fail - people move the goal posts of a point. No matter what is said.

As I'd stated over and over in my posts. The Spurs Performance up until Benteke was sent off was superb, especially in the context of the previous few games. 

Dig up what people were saying at half time, or obviously don't as it destroys your point. 

This thread takes on a kind of odd enjoyment now. Lets see what other ways of dodging ironclad points people will come up with.  :rolleyes:

Yeah but think of all defensive blocks

Goals Scored 20th

Shots 20th

Shots on target 20th

Shooting accuracy 20th

SSN 26.11.2014

Yeah but we have had injuries. Oh every team has injuries.

Yeah but we've played hard teams. Oh but we look awful against most teams we play - including losing to Leyton Orient.

Yeah but we need to give Lambert more time. Oh but he's had 100 games!

Yeah but he hasn't spent anything. Oh but on a net basis he's outspent half of the premier league since his arrival!

Yeah but he's kept us up. Oh but he should do!

Yeah but it's not his job for the team to be entertaining - oh but he said we would be!

No mention of lack of Benteke, no mention of 7 of our 12 games being played against last seasons top 8. 

The reason? Because it's a polarised opinion, no credit can be given to the now sworn enemy. No basis is rational or any kind of impartial thinking. 

Enemy must die, bring him down. We want blood. 

The football mob, without question the worst thing about football itself. 

• Like 2

...no mention of 7 of our 12 games being played against last seasons top 8.

Woah there.

Last season's top 8 are now the problem?

I thought the original stuff (admittedly maybe not from you but in this thread and elsewhere) about the poor results was that there was a run/number of games against last season's top 6?

Lambert has it perfectly set for him to be fair. Even if he does get sacked, which he won't, but say he walks when we lose nine in a row and Burnley turn us over... He'll STILL be exempt of blame for some people.

Obviously he won't get another Premier League job for a long long time because other fans and clubs can see how bad we are but our own fans still can't. Good for him.

He's managed to scrape two more points that I thought. Good for him.

Lets see what other ways of dodging ironclad points people will come up with

Stats on performances, results and league table are ironclad.

You're opinion on why that's not Lambert's fault is not.

You may believe you have a higher understanding than the football mob but you clearly don't.

Villa team started vs Southampton

Guzan - Free

Hutton - 4million

Okore - 3.5 million

Clark - free

Cissokho - 2 million

Westwood - 1 million

Cleverley - Loan

Sanchez - 3 million

Weimann - free

Agbonlahor - free

Nzogbia - 9 million

compare that to Southampton team that started, their front 4 cost more than that never mind 10 plus million on Forster and Wanyama

This pisses me off. Values change, yet we are using values from when players were bought, and 'loan' isn't Cleverley's value, it is 8 **** million. Edited by DK82

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â