Paul Lambert

limpid

Sanchez was dropping off a cliff in that Southampton game.

Regardless of who replaced him, the decision to bring him off was a good one, imo.

You are missing the point though. The Bent substitution is the method to attack Lambert for Monday as the actual result was a positive one. 

Unless we win a game, the relentless attack needs to continue, regardless of things like Benteke being at fault for Spurs loss, or previous 2 matches being draws are not bad results. 

This is to many a black and white issue, there are no shades of grey. Lambert out or Lambert is our saviour. There are only two sides and nothing inbetween. 

It is one of the things about football. Suppose just gotta accept it

I'm sorry, but this is utter drivel.

I made my mind up gradually over 100 games, not overnight, just like so many others.

Nothing black and white about it at all 

Yet after 92 games you were not at all calling for his sacking. 8 games later you want him gone. So your 100 games argument, very weak in my opinion. 

And before you or others immediately type the words "Well I knew that was only temporary, that we'd slump back to this afterwards etc..."  nonsense, instead post a link to the time between Liverpool & Arsenal matches this season where you called for Lambert out. 

It would be a quiet thread if people had to do that   ;)

This argument doesn't make much sense. 

He said he's based his decision over 100 games not just the first 4 of this season.

I wanted him gone in the summer, i was impressed with the start we made and thought things might be different but then we've had another poor run.  My opinion of lambert is not based soley on the last few games, it's based on his entire time here.  I'm sure that's the same for most fans who currently would like to see him replaced.

Lerner is the one that needs to go. I wouldn't trust him to pick out a bloody sandwich from the local garage, let alone another manager. 

Before anyone says "But he chose Lambert" I think the fans had a massive say in that.

Lerner approved Lambert and McLeish, but let it be known Faulkner an his cronies advised him, McLeish as fact! Now Tom Fox is at the helm im a little more relaxed in the knowledge he wants what will make the club more marketable. Faulkner was a big no no for this club and had his hands in pies when he didn't even know the filling!!!

Since Lambert has been hear, he's mostly performed badly in the transfer market, the results have been poor especially at home, and the standard of football appalling.  Yes, there has been the odd good purchase and a few decent results and performances, but even allowing for the restrictions he's been working under, I'd have to conclude that overall, he's been a very poor manager for us.

• Like 4

Lerner approved Lambert and McLeish, but let it be known Faulkner an his cronies advised him, McLeish as fact!

There is no evidence to support that. In fact, those were in communication with Faulkner argue to the contrary.

Since Lambert has been hear, he's mostly performed badly in the transfer market, the results have been poor especially at home, and the standard of football appalling.  Yes, there has been the odd good purchase and a few decent results and performances, but even allowing for the restrictions he's been working under, I'd have to conclude that overall, he's been a very poor manager for us.

and what about when he was deaf?

I wont say I know this for a fact.

Lets say that the very best offer we received for Daren Bent in the last three years was 2.75M and that was before he moved to Fulham and played shit for them.  What then? No one wanted him,  not one manager looked at him and thought "hey up lad it's not your fault you're being mishandled by Lambert,  you're easily worth 10M  so what I'll do is offer 5M and get you back to your best".  Not one manager in this country or abroad was prepared to do that.  Suppose that's Paul's fault too.

The best we had (before fulham paid us quite generously for a loan I may add) was Newcastle wanting to pay a low loan fee with up to half his wages still being covered by us..... Can't blame Lambert for no one wanting to buy our expensively paid bang-average players.

• Like 1

and what about when he was deaf?

You lose any credibility when you turn into grammer police. Seems you have no other answers.

(It's not even "Paul Lambert" football, by the way - his Norwich team was attacking and scored loads of goals.)

This is an excellent point. Lambert played without width, but a midfield diamond which scored goals (and conceded them).

He seems to have 'lost' his way, as at the end of the first season we were 'swashbuckling'.

He had the attacking desire in him at the end of his first season and this was evident when we spanked Sunderland 6-1. He has added 'his players' to the squad and decided to play negative, boring, backs to the wall, catch them on the break (if we're lucky) football.

• Like 1

I think its very disrepectful to the fans from Lambert to start playing boring defensive football. He knows how much we hated this type of football as we had to endure a season of it under Mcleish. As I have said he is just protecting himself at the moment from the 5+ 0 defeat which is looming. Its like he has zero faith in the team, he, himself has built which after nearly 3 seasons is really very poor management.

Sanchez was dropping off a cliff in that Southampton game.

Regardless of who replaced him, the decision to bring him off was a good one, imo.

You are missing the point though. The Bent substitution is the method to attack Lambert for Monday as the actual result was a positive one. 

Unless we win a game, the relentless attack needs to continue, regardless of things like Benteke being at fault for Spurs loss, or previous 2 matches being draws are not bad results. 

This is to many a black and white issue, there are no shades of grey. Lambert out or Lambert is our saviour. There are only two sides and nothing inbetween. 

It is one of the things about football. Suppose just gotta accept it

I'm sorry, but this is utter drivel.

I made my mind up gradually over 100 games, not overnight, just like so many others.

Nothing black and white about it at all 

Yet after 92 games you were not at all calling for his sacking. 8 games later you want him gone. So your 100 games argument, very weak in my opinion. 

And before you or others immediately type the words "Well I knew that was only temporary, that we'd slump back to this afterwards etc..."  nonsense, instead post a link to the time between Liverpool & Arsenal matches this season where you called for Lambert out. 

It would be a quiet thread if people had to do that   ;)

This argument doesn't make much sense. 

He said he's based his decision over 100 games not just the first 4 of this season.

I wanted him gone in the summer, i was impressed with the start we made and thought things might be different but then we've had another poor run.  My opinion of lambert is not based soley on the last few games, it's based on his entire time here.  I'm sure that's the same for most fans who currently would like to see him replaced.

You thought things might be different because we'd signed some new players, got 10 points from first 4 games, then we lost to teams who are far far better than us. 

Then we had QPR, Spurs, West Ham & Southampton where we should have had L,W,D,D or better if it was not for 1 stupid incident by Benteke. 

So you can understand then why I'm ready to continue to believe things could be different this season as one incident by Benteke is all that is the difference between us being on 15 points in 12th with 7 of the 12 games played being against last seasons top 8 teams. 

I cannot comprehend how anyone at the beginning of the season would not have called that a decent start. You will also notice I haven't mentioned a single injury. 

He had the attacking desire in him at the end of his first season and this was evident when we spanked Sunderland 6-1. He has added 'his players' to the squad and decided to play negative, boring, backs to the wall, catch them on the break (if we're lucky) football.

You mean the cheap young foreign players on low wages he was only able to sign last season? 

Also can you blame him, really blame him for a lack of attacking threat when both, BOTH of his expensive centre forwards got long term injuries? 

Tell me a team who can take the loss of such players without effecting them, especially a team who plays a big man up top formation like we do. Chelsea without Costa & Drogba for majority of this season would be far less a team. 

Edited by CVByrne

I think its very disrepectful to the fans from Lambert to start playing boring defensive football. He knows how much we hated this type of football as we had to endure a season of it under Mcleish. As I have said he is just protecting himself at the moment from the 5+ 0 defeat which is looming. Its like he has zero faith in the team, he, himself has built which after nearly 3 seasons is really very poor management.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2189957/Aston-Villa-boss-Paul-Lambert-takes-swipe-Alex-McLeish.html

Especially when he slammed him for his style of play when he joined the club as well

(It's not even "Paul Lambert" football, by the way - his Norwich team was attacking and scored loads of goals.)

This is an excellent point. Lambert played without width, but a midfield diamond which scored goals (and conceded them).

He seems to have 'lost' his way, as at the end of the first season we were 'swashbuckling'.

I think its more fundamental than that. Expectations at Norwich were no doubt very low and he could manage a small club without fear. As it was it was very successful and he went up two divisions in two seasons. He also kept them in the PL against a probable expectation of them being relegated, probably again managing with little fear

Roll forward over two seasons and to say he has been found out at a much larger club is an understatement. Opposition sides have sussed out his stubbornly one dimensional brand of football and his complete inability to change a game. He has retreated into a bunker mentality of damage limitation coupled with hoof and hope tactics. The simple truth is that he is Championship manager at best along with the likes of Billy Davies, Owen Coyle and Ian Holloway. Of course the attitude of the fans will have hardly built his confidence but you know what that is football management and you have to manage (the key word I think) out of those situations.

Nothing he says or does gives me a shred of confidence that he can get us out of the mess we are in. We can argue endlessly about the quality of the squad but I don't think its too bad, certainly its good enough to keep us in the PL managed properly. it will never get us European football but that is irrelevant given our current status.

He has to go and soon to end this nightmare.

• Like 1

You mean the cheap young foreign players on low wages he was only able to sign last season? 

Also can you blame him, really blame him for a lack of attacking threat when both, BOTH of his expensive centre forwards got long term injuries? 

Tell me a team who can take the loss of such players without effecting them, especially a team who plays a big man up top formation like we do. Chelsea without Costa & Drogba for majority of this season would be far less a team.

Even with Benteke playing, we play the same shit football, it's all he knows.

Would Chelsea revert to playing the crap that we churn out? NO!

A good manager adapts to a given situation. Lambert is unable to adapt.

I am just waiting for the Mr. Miyagi moment, where Lambert looks at the players and nods. Suddenly Villa plays the best attacking football, and even when opposing players try to break Benkete, he gets the goal that wins us the league :P

Come on. Cheer up guys. UTV!

The nightmare won't end until Lerner goes or drastically changes policy, unfortunately.

Don't agree with this. 

Shockingly it could change with a different manager in charge. I think its more than worth the risk. No manager who came in would want to be the one to relegate Villa. So I really think its worth, being that who ever it was would have to be at the top of there game. Do you really think Lambert is at the moment, if he his, I don't agree that he is the manager to take us any further.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â