Paul Lambert

limpid

That Bent sub :crylaugh:

What in the flying piss is he doing? Did you see that little ball down the left hand side of the area that Bent tried to run onto? He can hardly move. I want to know what he shows in training to be coming on ahead of ever other player bar on that bench bar Given. Any of them would have been more useful.

We got a point after our striker ran onto a clearance and the opposition keeper made an error. I hope to see some ambition against Burnley in the battle for 19th.

Sanchez needed to come off.

Lambert didn't want to bring an attacking midfielder on.

Best option was to drop gabby back because of his energy and lack of opportunity up front.

We needed to out a striker on as a result.

I'm not sure it was the right thing to do, but why the **** is everyone struggling with the concept?

Because it's a stick and conveniently it happened just before we conceded.

i thought it strange substitution but I do not blame it for us not winning the game,  just prior to the SOuthampton goal Bent set Weimann up for a clear winning chance which Weimann fluffed and which everyone is also conveniently forgetting

Edited by Richard
  • Like 2

I really don't understand some criticism. 

Spurs performance was brilliant, we should have won that game by 2 or more goals and we would have won but for Bentekes sending off. 

Then at West Ham it was stop the rot at all costs. We simply had to get a point from that game.

Then we have Southampton, who have won 9 or their past 10 games. We are missing loads of players and not a man on this site would not have taken a 1-1 before the match.

Yet, the moaning goes on and on... 

Probably because we havn't seen a good performance since September.

Spurs performance was far from brilliant. First half good, second half shite and that was before the red card.

Yesterday we may have faced a team in 2nd place but we created hardly anything (and not for the first time this season), the only real missing attacking output was Benteke and he isnt exactly firing on all cylinders.

Fans will moan because we can see no immediate signs of scoring and time soon.

Next few games will be interesting, will Lambert try to nick a win or will we try and attack?

• Like 1

Bacuna at least puts himself about though. Gabby is about the worst player we have in possession, so bringing Bent on to drop Gabby back makes no sense either. Gabby falling asleep and letting Clyne in for the goal backs up the fact that it was an awful sub IMO. I don't really see how it can be defended, but to each their own.

Like I said, I don't think it was the right thing to do.

All I was saying is I don't understand why people are so baffled by the logic.

Gabby into midfield, bent to replace him up top.

It's pretty simple. People were acting like Lambert had taken off Sanchez and replaced him with the tea lady

(Cue joke about the tea lady being more effective that bent)

I can see why people are baffled. Bent hasn't shown anything worthy of a place in our team this season, he barely got picked for Fulham last season (when Lambert deemed him not good enough, so loaned him out), and now he is the player who comes on to try to see out a 1-0 against one of the top teams in the league? Even with the reshuffle on the pitch, it's pretty baffling. He's never been known for his work rate, but that's what we needed last night. I would have brought on Bacuna, every day of the week.
  • Like 1

Looking at the here and now I can't quite grasp the reactions from last night.

Really? Looking at the here and now we have taken two points from a possible 24, have not won for 8 games, have scored just two goals during that time and put in some dire overly negative performances.

We have played 7 of last seasons top 8 in our past 9 games and should have 7 point to show from them. We would all gladly take a point per game from those teams. Benteke's stupidity aside we would have. 

I think when we get Benteke back and a consistent back 4 again we'll get some good performances and begin to rack up points. I will also refer people to this period of moaning when we record back to back wins or 7 points from 9 before the turn of the year

• Like 2

What in the flying piss is he doing? Did you see that little ball down the left hand side of the area that Bent tried to run onto? He can hardly move. I want to know what he shows in training to be coming on ahead of ever other player bar on that bench bar Given. Any of them would have been more useful.

We got a point after our striker ran onto a clearance and the opposition keeper made an error. I hope to see some ambition against Burnley in the battle for 19th.

Best option was to drop gabby back because of his energy and lack of opportunity up front.

I'm not sure it was the right thing to do, but why the **** is everyone struggling with the concept?

i thought it strange substitution but I do not blame it for us not winning the game,  just prior to the SOuthampton goal Bent set Weimann up for a clear winning chance which Weimann fluffed and which everyone is also conveniently forgetting

Well, it was actually Gabby, wasn't it? 

• Like 1

I really don't understand some criticism. 

Spurs performance was brilliant, we should have won that game by 2 or more goals and we would have won but for Bentekes sending off. 

Then at West Ham it was stop the rot at all costs. We simply had to get a point from that game.

Then we have Southampton, who have won 9 or their past 10 games. We are missing loads of players and not a man on this site would not have taken a 1-1 before the match.

Yet, the moaning goes on and on... 

Probably because we havn't seen a good performance since September.

Spurs performance was far from brilliant. First half good, second half shite and that was before the red card.

Yesterday we may have faced a team in 2nd place but we created hardly anything (and not for the first time this season), the only real missing attacking output was Benteke and he isnt exactly firing on all cylinders.

Fans will moan because we can see no immediate signs of scoring and time soon.

Next few games will be interesting, will Lambert try to nick a win or will we try and attack?

Seriously? I mean we're missing the entire spine of the team, including our 3 best outfield players. Benteke, Delph & Vlaar. 

I don't understand Sanchez off, Bent on. Fair enough taking off Sanchez but... Darren Bent? :(

It was a defensive change.

Don't be fooled by the fact it was a midfielder off and a striker on.

Just reading back...

Come on man, give me SOME credit ;).  I understand the thinking behind the subsitution but, when you need to kill off a game, the player coming on needs to either a] Work hard off the ball, pressing play and hurrying the opposition or b] Hold up the ball and effectively kill time whilst the defence get a breather.

Darren Bent does neither of things.  We'd have been better bringing on any other sub (bar Given) - although, ultimately, it probably didn't affect the outcome that much.

Looking at the here and now I can't quite grasp the reactions from last night.

Really? Looking at the here and now we have taken two points from a possible 24, have not won for 8 games, have scored just two goals during that time and put in some dire overly negative performances.

Don’t get me wrong I was grateful for the point against what is a very decent side. I can’t let that mask over the fact though that we again couldn’t string more than a handful of passes together and again invited the opposition on to us by sitting way too deep and not pressing higher up the pitch. NZogbia and Weimann spent more time is their own half than Southampton’s and played almost as wing backs. Add that to the fact that Sanchez and Westwood both sat deep and played a defensive mid role. I am also getting peeved that we bring everybody back on corners. Surely it would be an idea to leave Gabby or NZogbia as a quick outlet which may also mean the opposition leave an extra player back.

I am so disappointed with Lambert. I feel like he should be done under some kind of trade descriptions act. He came with a reputation of a manger who would set his teams up to have a real go and play half decent football. The opposite of what we had with McLeish if you like. For the last year or so though the football as in the main been as bad as what we had under McLeish. We can now put the odd admirable defensive display in as was shown last night and against West Ham but in terms of creating chances, scoring goals and retaining possession we are as poor at all of those things as I can ever remember us being in my 30+ years supporting us.

Very good, detailed response but I'm still not grasping why people can't just be a little more positive about the fact that we have taken points against teams in much better form than us. The fact that I am not alone in this must also show you that other people feel the same.

I really don't see how Delph playing yesterday would have made any difference whatsoever. It would have been the exact same but Delph may have blasted the ball over the bar once or twice. 

Lambert is just shocking. It will be interesting to see how we get on against Burnley. Because you know what, I think they'll beat us. Burnley will do to us exactly what QPR did, let us have the ball and we'll create nothing, and then hit us on the counter-attack when we misplace a 5 yard pass. Because they obviously don't train on passing and moving, there's no gameplan (offensively anyway).

The guy is just as bad as McLeish. 

100% it was Gabby ..Bent was still jogging across the halfway line !

I really don't see how Delph playing yesterday would have made any difference whatsoever.

You realise you pretty much erode any credibility in your opinions when you come up with comments like that. 

Our player of the season wouldn't have made a difference!!

• Like 1

100% it was Gabby ..Bent was still jogging across the halfway line !

Don't let the truth stand in the way of finding a reason to defend Lambert's decisions.

• Like 1

I don't think our midfield is that bad, but none of them are naturally creative.

I swear if you had a top down heatmap of most time spent in which area you would see this.

---------------------Guzan

------------ Okore ------- Clark ---------- Cissokho

Hutton --------------------------------------  Weimann

------------------------------------------------

------------------- Sanchez -----------------------------

-------- Westwoord ------ Cleverly

---------------------------------------------- Gabby

Edited by VillanousOne

I don't think our midfield is that bad, but none of them are naturally creative.

I swear if you had a top down heatmap of most time spent in which area you would see this.

---------------------Guzan

------------ Okore ------- Clark ---------- Cissokho

Hutton --------------------------------------  Weimann

------------------------------------------------

------------------- Sanchez -----------------------------

-------- Westwoord ------ Cleverly

---------------------------------------------- Gabby

Rather disjointed with plenty of gaps for the opposition to exploit. Looks about right.

Edited by pacbuddies

Very good, detailed response but I'm still not grasping why people can't just be a little more positive about the fact that we have taken points against teams in much better form than us. The fact that I am not alone in this must also show you that other people feel the same.

Because, why would they?  Why would anyone who is staunchly anti-Lambert give any credit to a draw against Southampton?  Especially having everyone was posting "after we lose to Southampton and Burnley".  Brilliant fans, though, brilliant fans.

I really don't see how Delph playing yesterday would have made any difference whatsoever.

You realise you pretty much erode any credibility in your opinions when you come up with comments like that. 

Our player of the season wouldn't have made a difference!!

Why would he? What would he have done to hugely influence that game? He doesn't create, which is our biggest problem. It wouldn't have changed the fact we sat back from the word go, it wouldn't have changed the fact that our whole game plan was to knock it to Gabby.

Do you genuinely believe that if Delph was playing the score-line would be any different? I don't. The problems we're having is down to how we approach games. 

Benteke could have made a difference last night. I really don't think Delph would have. 

Â