Paul Lambert

limpid

4 hours ago, Genie said:

I'm amazed so many football fans still don't get this. Its his job, like the rest of us we do it to pay the bills. Why would you give up millions just because you're already wealthy? He's making his money now to last him for the rest of his life. Its a very uncertain industry.

This. Managers don't resign any more, and it's la-la-land to expect them to do so. 

• Like 1

This was an odd sort of quote, not sure it's been written correctly as Blackburn have been under a transfer embargo until very recently....

But I knew the job I'd done at Aston Villa – I knew the money I was working with, which was nowhere near what it is now, and the lads did great to keep us up.

Can only think he's counting the 11m for Jordan Rhodes but considering Blackburn have been limited to freebies and loans then I don't understand what he's on about.

Isn't he still talking about villa? Not Blackburn? Maybe suggesting sherwood had more money to spend in onewindow (not netspend) and it was a great the lads kept us up with budget he was on? Or something.

I don't know. Don't even know Lambert spend figures over windows tbh. Just guessing what he meant here..

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Genie said:

I'm amazed so many football fans still don't get this. Its his job, like the rest of us we do it to pay the bills. Why would you give up millions just because you're already wealthy? He's making his money now to last him for the rest of his life. Its a very uncertain industry.

Still makes him a word removed. This is a club with over a hundred year history, with tens of thousands of fans all over the world. And he's prepared to **** that up while he waits to be sacked and get a load of cash. Him and other managers that do the same are words removed IMO. 

Edited by DCJonah

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Still makes him a word removed. This is a club with over a hundred year history, with tens of thousands of fans all over the world. And he's prepared to **** that up while he waits to be sacked and get a load of cash. Him and other managers that do the same are words removed IMO. 

He did not **** it up. He was a good manager while he was here, except the last few months. I hate it when people forget what he had to work with in his last season at the club. Free transfers of Cole, Senderos and Richardson. Were these guys ever good enough? Injuries to his strikers Benteke and Kozak most of his last season. Could not afford (or was not allowed) to buy a striker who was good enough. How the **** did the club survive last year? Just the new manager bounce saved the club and Lerner. This year, nothing but voodoo will save it. I bet that Lambert would have had the team a few positions higher if he still was here this season.

Edited by momo
  • Like 1

Villa got worse because the club would not afford to buy players who were better than those in the first team, and sometimes no back ups as well. What do you guys expect? You criticize each player at the club calling them the worst ever to wear the shirt, but expect a manager to win the league with them. Fickle. I agree that he had to go in the end, but sometimes a little perspective is needed.

38 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He kept us up because he signed a top class striker and then decided to not do anything else regarding plan because the hope was that player would bail him out a lot 

Well, he had a top class striker in Bent, but saw something no one else saw in Benteke (how is he doing now?), and utilized him to his strengths. Lambert made him a top class striker, something "world's best manager" Klopp can't do. It is good to know that this seasons managers at Villa are doing so much better without a top class striker. Don't you agree?

Edited by momo

If Benteke strength was hoof it to him and hope he scores a goal then he is a genius. Cant remember him signing one winger in his time here to get the best out of Benteke, actually he had a really good one and rarely played him and now he top of the league

I don't understand. Didn't Benteke under Lambert score lots of goals? Especially before the injury? Do you blame Lambert for playing to his strengths? And with regards to that winger....you got angry that he was let go or that he did not accept the new contract? Should Villa have coughed up over 45k/w for him? Maybe Lambert wanted him to stay but the finance people thought it was to much to pay. People here know nothing. The fact is that Lambert kept the club up on a shoe string budget. Sherwood got a lot more money but blew it. Sherwood's plan A was to get Adebayor as his main striker. His plan B was Gestede. Worked out fine. Don't let hate get in the way of logic.

Was randomly thinking last night that our starting XI that night we demolished Liverpool at Anfield was actually:

Guzan
Lowton
Herd
Clark
Baker
Lichaj
Westwood
Bannan
Holman
Weimann
Benteke

That was a real PL starting XI. Honestly think he was a borderline miracle worker in that first season keeping that squad up and getting the results he did (granted we did go on a disastrous run right after that game, where we were outscored 15-0 in 3 games, but yeah :lol:

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 3

Holman started off alright, had some decent games at Newcastle and at home to WBA but like so many of our cheap foreign signings his real "ability" quickly became apparent.

The funny thing is that line up and defence was actually doing alright....until Chelsea 8-0 happened and it all collapsed for six weeks.

I actually think the worst line up we've ever put out in the prem (other than this seasons effort) was towards the end of McLeish's time when we played Spurs and drew 1-1. Had Heskey as sole striker and it was at the stage McLeish was playing about 7 defenders with likes of Warnock and Herd in central midfield.

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Holman started off alright, had some decent games at Newcastle and at home to WBA but like so many of our cheap foreign signings his real "ability" quickly became apparent.

The funny thing is that line up and defence was actually doing alright....until Chelsea 8-0 happened and it all collapsed for six weeks.

I actually think the worst line up we've ever put out in the prem (other than this seasons effort) was towards the end of McLeish's time when we played Spurs and drew 1-1. Had Heskey as sole striker and it was at the stage McLeish was playing about 7 defenders with likes of Warnock and Herd in central midfield.

Wow - the dross we've had to put up with for the last 5 years it's so depressing.

I've always thought Lambert had a problem with 'bigger name' players. He basically bombed out anyone with a big reputation - see Bent. Maybe one or two players had bad attitudes but I think he couldn't get the best out of anyone who was more established. In fairness he could get good performances out of the League 1 and championship players we bought.

I watched a few training sessions over the summer he was first appointed and Collins was really putting himself about. It was obvious he wanted to be part of things, and he looked good, fit and committed. Lambert sold him though and instead we got 2 kids in the chuckle brothers who were never ready and a sick-note in Vlaar who was never fit.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â