Paul Lambert

limpid

We spent big on Benteke and Vlaar and they did alright. Stoke had spend heaps on their squad before Lambert had arrived at Villa. So they had a good base to work from. I don't think it can be denied that Lambert faced severe austerity measures even Lerner himself admitted so in one of his statements when praising the job Lambert had done.

As had Villa before Lambert arrived!

The good base of a team at Stoke finished 2 places different to us when McLeish was in charge.

Since that point Lambert's transfer activity was about double that of Stoke's - yet look at the difference in the fortunes of the two teams.

The money spent before Lambert had arrived had mostly been wasted the squad needed a massive over haul when he arrived.

IMO a decent manager would have got more out of the players at his disposal - a sign of a bad manager is not being able to.

Yes, he had to make some changes to the squad and was given more transfer funding than over half the league in order to do that.

He tried, he failed and thank god he is gone!

• Like 2

Both Lambert and Villa will move on to bigger and better things and who knows we might cross paths once again in the future.

I admire your faith in him but there's absolutely no chance of him ever getting a bigger or better job than us.

But I don't think he'll manage a bigger team than us, at least not in this country, as that would only leave him with the choice of Manchester United, Liverpool and I guess Arsenal. The other teams are just lucky to have more money than us.

• Like 1

Pardew is a ridiculous human being. When his clubs start losing he seemingly has no way of stopping the rot.

We will see how Sherwood handles it if the enthusiasm in the squad falls.
What an odd post. I never mentioned Sherwood.

Hehe...no I was just making a statement. Maybe Sherwood is like Pardew, when it gets tough the team wont know how to win.

Based on a hunch?

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

IMO a decent manager would have got more out of the players at his disposal - a sign of a bad manager is not being able to.

Yes, he had to make some changes to the squad and was given more transfer funding than over half the league in order to do that.

He tried, he failed and thank god he is gone!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3002672/Tottenham-bosses-wanted-rid-new-England-star-Harry-Kane-reveals-former-manager-Tim-Sherwood.html

‘I think it’s wrong for clubs to continually waste money on investing for new players who you don’t know are going to settle. It’s not always about spending money. It’s also about improving the players you have within the squad.’

What, improve the players he has? Every time he has added players, we have got worse. Do we know that was his only remit? Do we know the context of that remit? We dont, but we sure as he'll know he failed as a coach.

What, improve the players he has? Every time he has added players, we have got worse. Do we know that was his only remit? Do we know the context of that remit? We dont, but we sure as he'll know he failed as a coach.

No, not spend money on new players.

You can't replace the expensive players you have without buying new cheaper ones.

I didn't say that was his only remit or that he didn't fail as a coach. I just said it's hard to not spend money on new players when you're instructions are to change the squad.

You can't replace the expensive players you have without buying new cheaper ones.

I'm confused. What expensive players has Lambert lost since signing for Villa? He's barely sold anyone. 

Cuellar, Collins, Warnock, Dunne, Makoun (dunno if you can count him), Ireland have all been sold or released. If not by Lambert then requiring a replacement from Lambert.

Plus the intention was to replace Bent, Hutton, N'Zogbia and even Given, although he failed to get them off the wage bill.

I'm not trying to say he did a good job here. Just that indications point towards his remit being to cut the wage bill. You can't do that without some transfer activity which will inevitably require money to be spent on fees even though it's being saved on wages.

So criticising him for bringing players in instead of improving what he's got doesn't really work.

I agree that he DIDN'T improve what he had. It's the

"I think it’s wrong for clubs to continually waste money on investing for new players who you don’t know are going to settle"

that I'm disagreeing with.

I think Lambert had to spend transfer fees and he actually spent it pretty well. He just failed to get the best out of the team he assembled.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

I don't really have an issue with what you are saying there. I have always said Lambert had an eye for a player too.

The problems (one of which you have also mentioned) is the fact that when he did add quality we got worse, he couldn't get the best out of what he did have, and he left a team which should be looking for 10th-14th in a much worse position.

No argument here about that point.

Very strange actually. I don't know if it's his coaching ability as such. It's probably a combination of the players losing faith (which is Lambert's fault before anyone jumps in) and him not hiring the right coaching staff/assistant manager to help him.

It's like he tried to do it all himself and couldn't handle it.

No argument here about that point.

Very strange actually. I don't know if it's his coaching ability as such. It's probably a combination of the players losing faith (which is Lambert's fault before anyone jumps in) and him not hiring the right coaching staff/assistant manager to help him.

It's like he tried to do it all himself and couldn't handle it.

I think the problem was his chosen style of play. He was far too cautious and far too concerned with ball retention rather than trying to push the team forward or counter attack. The team was crying out to push forward with pace and with confidence.

I'm warming to Sherwood, he's done well so far to motivate the team and get everything moving forward - but if you're Paul Lambert and "Tactics" Tim Sherwood is out managing you with the same squad of players you've got big problems.

=The reason Hull could sell 16m worth of players is because they spent big on those players in the first place. Lambert had little to spend on players and so those players were less likely to fetch big fees when moved on, unless people are advocating that we sell the likes of Benteke and Westwood for big money fees.

We spent big on players - Lambert failed to get the most out of a number of them!

Lambert did not have little to spend on players - he spent about twice as much as Stoke did!

Well that is a lie.

But I don't think he'll manage a bigger team than us, at least not in this country, as that would only leave him with the choice of Manchester United, Liverpool and I guess Arsenal. The other teams are just lucky to have more money than us.

I took the 'bigger and better' bit from you to be honest. I meant it as a club in a better outlook position to that we were in or one that serves as a bigger opportunity.

As you say, his only hope is to promote a Championship club although I'm sure he'd be sacked as soon as they aren't content to simply fall over the line to safety every season (if he even manages that) and then the cycle is repeated á la Neil Warnock. That is the very best case scenario I can come up with.

By 'bigger and better things' I meant he'd rebuild his reputation and that he'd go on to be succesful at another team where the general outlook is that his time there has been for the good of that club. He didn't just fall over the line at Norwich and was never relegated, even this season we only fell into the relegation once and that was on goal difference and with about 14 games left to play.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â