Paul Lambert

limpid

Imagine if he was at, say, Newcastle and had that record.

And was then linked to us!

Everyone would hit the the roof. We'd think it laughable he could ever be given the job here.

He's got a long journey ahead of him back to the Premier League.

Transfer fees are only half the story though.

If Lerner stumped up the 200 million to buy Messi but we could only pay him 20 grand a week, we wouldn't be signing him.

Yeah Lambert had a decent chunk of money to spend. But he has to drastically cut the wage spend during that time and it's difficult to build a squad like that.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

His stock is higher outside of Aston Villa than people realise. Rightly or wrongly people think he did a good job under difficult conditions.

Source?

a lot of people on Sky like Jeff Stelling kept defending him and blaming the conditions he was dealt and was never Lambert fault

though this fool also suggested Pulis for United and we should have been happy under mcLeish

I don't ever remember Lambert having £50M to spend in two and half years, maybe he did but it's not a great deal when the entire squad needs working on and teams around us like Hull are spending big money on the likes of Livermore and Long. I think in all probability Mcleish was sacked because the club knew that they'd lose out financially from loss of season ticket revenue if he stayed on, if the fans weren't so against him he'd have kept his job. We added experience this season in the form of Cole and Sendeross who've both been injured so haven't really felt their benefit on the field of play.

Interesting you mention Shane Long. Signed for £7m and then sold for £12m not long after (excuse the pun!) therefore theoretically funding the majority of the Livermore purchase.

Lambert was taking us one way - he was totally out of his depth.

As far as I know Hull signed Livermore months before they sold Long to Southampton. Sunderland are another example of a team competing in and around the relegation places who've been spending huge bucks on individual players, whilst during the same period we've had to spread our money amongst several players.

money isnt the problem, Lambert has proved himself you can buy decent players with small transfer budget. problem is he didnt get anything out of these players

I don't ever remember Lambert having £50M to spend in two and half years, maybe he did but it's not a great deal when the entire squad needs working on and teams around us like Hull are spending big money on the likes of Livermore and Long. I think in all probability Mcleish was sacked because the club knew that they'd lose out financially from loss of season ticket revenue if he stayed on, if the fans weren't so against him he'd have kept his job. We added experience this season in the form of Cole and Sendeross who've both been injured so haven't really felt their benefit on the field of play.

Interesting you mention Shane Long. Signed for £7m and then sold for £12m not long after (excuse the pun!) therefore theoretically funding the majority of the Livermore purchase.

Lambert was taking us one way - he was totally out of his depth.

As far as I know Hull signed Livermore months before they sold Long to Southampton. Sunderland are another example of a team competing in and around the relegation places who've been spending huge bucks on individual players, whilst during the same period we've had to spread our money amongst several players.

money isnt the problem, Lambert has proved himself you can buy decent players with small transfer budget. problem is he didnt get anything out of these players

Yep. The Long and Livermore examples are hilarious. What would people prefer - Long and Livermore or Benteke and Westwood?

The point was that Hull have had a stack of money to spend as have QPR and Sunderland, whilst Lambert has not. That Benteke and Westwood might be seen as better footballers than Livermore and long is just another feather in Lambert's hat.

And money is the problem you can buy one or two decent players on a budget but when you have to work on the whole squad you need big money for transfer fees and to be able to pay the players a competitive wage. Any set of players where the average cost of each member is about 2 or 3 million is going to struggle in this league because money talks.

• Like 1

The stuff about him having to build an ENTIRE squad with his £42m is a compete fallacy too.

Who said that he had to build the entire squad with his £42m?
It was one of the many buzz-phrases to be parroted throughout last season by his supporters.

I don't think it can be denied that the squad needed a massive overhaul. If Lambert have have spent that '£42M' on three or four players on top of what we already had at the time then we really would have been in trouble.

Why 3/4? Why not 10 as opposed to 20?

The point was that Hull have had a stack of money to spend as have QPR and Sunderland, whilst Lambert has not

And where did that stack of money get them? The PL competes in tiers, and in our tier of clubs, spending an extra £10M-£20M doesn't really matter all that much. It's just as important to get value for money as your own two examples have shown.

I agree that Lambert has done well (generally) with transfers, but he was the victim of his own success. He built a squad that, IMO, should be comfortably mid-table, but instead were bloody woeful under his management.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

I think people overrate our squad when they say it should be comfortably mid-table.

Really? Where do you think it should be? Not knocking your comment, just interested. I look at Stoke, Swansea, West Ham and Newcastle occupying 8-11 in the league. I think we should be there. That's mid table. I don't look at their squads in envy. i think we are every bit as strong as them, if not stronger in some areas. That's a credit to Lambert to be fair. I've always paid compliment to his transfer dealings.

What I couldn't accept was the atrocious, insipid, mind numbingly, eye bleedingly awful excuse for 'football' that he had us playing. I'll never forget or excuse that

• Like 2

I heard somewhere the other day that if you add the points up that Pardew has won this season at Newcastle and Palace he'd be in eighth place now.

What's that got to do with the price of fish?

I heard somewhere the other day that if you add the points up that Pardew has won this season at Newcastle and Palace he'd be in eighth place now.

Palace have the right idea. Change manager every year and get the new manager bounce to survival!  :)

• Like 1

Pardew is a ridiculous human being. When his clubs start losing he seemingly has no way of stopping the rot.

We will see how Sherwood handles it if the enthusiasm in the squad falls.

The point was that Hull have had a stack of money to spend as have QPR and Sunderland, whilst Lambert has not. 

During the time Lambert was in charge the reality is as follows in terms of overall transfer activity:

Hull £54m

QPR £44m

Sunderland £38m

Villa £49m (could have been £5m higher if Rickie Lambert accepted the move)

Never mind clubs like Burnley, Crystal Palace, Leicester, Newcastle, Stoke, Swansea and West Brom who all had an overall transfer activity considerably less than Villa's over the period Lambert was at Villa.

Lambert DID have the money and his transfers in on the whole weren't too bad. I think his poor management of a number of our players arguably contributed to us not getting maximum fees for some of them.

When he left we were in the relegation zone with just 22 points from 25 games and only 12 goals scored! He left us as a failure and was rightly sacked - although he should have been chopped a lot earlier!

Edited by Brumstopdogs

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â