Paul Lambert

limpid

12 points from 18 games says we are in a relegation battle. Until we can put anything resembling a decent run of results together, we'll be in the mix.

• Paul Lambert's side have gone seven league matches without a win, the worst current run in the division. They have scored one goal during that spell - Christian Benteke's strike against Manchester United on 20 December.
  • They could fail to score in six league games in a row for the first time in the club's history.
  • The Villans have only won twice in 18 league matches since mid-September (W2, D6, L10).
  • Their goal drought in the league now stands at eight hours and 42 minutes.
  • Villa have only managed four away goals all season and not scored more than once in an away fixture since a 2-2 draw at Liverpool on 18 January last year.
  • They have failed to score in a league-high 13 of their 22 matches; their overall tally of 11 goals is the lowest by any of the 649 teams in the top nine tiers of the English football pyramid.

If thats not relegation form then I dont know what is

• Like 2

Villanun you're arguing with a guy who said we're not in a relegation battle and dismisses every factual piece of evidence provided, while standing by a claim such as 'no manager could do better' which of course has nothing close to facts or statistics to back it up.

And now I'm arguing with a guy who stands by a claim that a different manager could do better which of course never could have anything close to facts or statistics to back it up.

We aren't in a relegation battle. The season is about half way through. I don't dismiss factual evidence, I'm just better at interpreting it than you are, he he.

Really, we should all give it up.

I've never said a new manager would be guaranteed to do better. I do find it hard to believe it could be much worse though. And I've used the performances of pullis last year and rowett at the scum now to show why I think this.

We aren't in a relegation battle? And you claim you're better at interpreting facts. Yeah good job with that.

12 points from 18 games says we are in a relegation battle. Until we can put anything resembling a decent run of results together, we'll be in the mix.

• Paul Lambert's side have gone seven league matches without a win, the worst current run in the division. They have scored one goal during that spell - Christian Benteke's strike against Manchester United on 20 December.
  • They could fail to score in six league games in a row for the first time in the club's history.
  • The Villans have only won twice in 18 league matches since mid-September (W2, D6, L10).
  • Their goal drought in the league now stands at eight hours and 42 minutes.
  • Villa have only managed four away goals all season and not scored more than once in an away fixture since a 2-2 draw at Liverpool on 18 January last year.
  • They have failed to score in a league-high 13 of their 22 matches; their overall tally of 11 goals is the lowest by any of the 649 teams in the top nine tiers of the English football pyramid.

If thats not relegation form then I dont know what is

Appalling run. While we can all be excited about the transfer window, a manager is ultimately judged on results and that is where Lambert struggles

I would say we now have the best squad at Villa since 2011. It is up to the manager to use this correctly and we should aim for a mid table finish and at least a FA Cup Quarter Final. Most people would have been happy with this in August. I think things are slowly turning around, albeit we have 2 tough league matches coming up. If Lambert gets a draw out of the next 2 and beat Leicester, we should start to turn the corner soon. And score some goals.

• Like 3

Does this mean the strikers are all to play as strikers now?

Posted by Stanbalaban in the Transfers thread:

“There’s more competition with the new signings,” added Lambert. “Now Gabby and Andi, who are better as strikers, will challenge (Benteke). I’ve been playing them out wide but they are quick, smaller-type guys, whereas Christian is different. It gives me the option.

“Remember, I left Christian out against Southampton last year and played Libor. He scored that day.

“But if we could bring in another striker we would try if that was feasible.”

from here: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-would-love-rush-8552889

So I hope we can all realise that Lambert isn't a complete fool to have been playing Gabby and Weimann out wide: It's just that needs must sometimes.

• Like 1

Playing gabby and weimann hasn't been needs must at times. They've played (id guess) 90% of games under lambert in those positions and been largely shit whilst doing it.

Needs must if those are your best wide options, which they very arguably have been until now. Why? Money, innit?

• Like 1

Playing gabby and weimann hasn't been needs must at times. They've played (id guess) 90% of games under lambert in those positions and been largely shit whilst doing it.

Needs must if those are your best wide options, which they very arguably have been until now. Why? Money, innit?

So money also makes you play kick and rush tactics?

When is Benteke coming back from injury to save us?

Best wide options? Really?

Neither of them are wide players, neither have the necessary guile to play that role and gabby in particular has looked like he ain't bothered for the last 18 months.

That's not putting players out of position for a game or two to cover an injury crisis, lambert has chose to play them their for the last 24 months despite not being good enough or suited for the roles.

Not having it that he has had to play them their out of necessity. That's bollocks Imo.

Best wide options? Really?

Neither of them are wide players, neither have the necessary guile to play that role and gabby in particular has looked like he ain't bothered for the last 18 months.

That's not putting players out of position for a game or two to cover an injury crisis, lambert has chose to play them their for the last 24 months despite not being good enough or suited for the roles.

Not having it that he has had to play them their out of necessity. That's bollocks Imo.

Bacuna has been ignored for the wide position, Grealish too. There were other options, it isn't just to do with money, but a manager getting the best out of his strongest squad yet.

So the best alternatives to Gabby and Weimann we can come up with are Grealish and Bacuna. The mythical wide options.

I'd have liked to see Grealish play a bit more myself, but it's not as though he's left a ton of talent on the bench.

Don't forget that a benched player's talent grows tenfold when he's not getting a game....

• Like 1

Does this mean the strikers are all to play as strikers now?

Posted by Stanbalaban in the Transfers thread:

“There’s more competition with the new signings,” added Lambert. “Now Gabby and Andi, who are better as strikers, will challenge (Benteke). I’ve been playing them out wide but they are quick, smaller-type guys, whereas Christian is different. It gives me the option.

“Remember, I left Christian out against Southampton last year and played Libor. He scored that day.“But if we could bring in another striker we would try if that was feasible.”

from here: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-would-love-rush-8552889

So I hope we can all realise that Lambert isn't a complete fool to have been playing Gabby and Weimann out wide: It's just that needs must sometimes.

Well what a surprise. Something else to add to the list that couldn't possibly be any fault of the manager.

• Like 1

Â