Paul Lambert

limpid

Lambert joined Bayern Munich a couple of weeks ago to watch their training sessions and speak to Pep Guardiola. Could that possibly be the reason for the sudden change in style? They are famous for building from the back and keeping possession after all. Maybe Pep has given him some pointers and told Paul to stay away from the hoof ball. The difference the last couple of weeks has been quite drastic, playing diagonal balls, keeping it mostly on the floor, putting proper crosses in. Plus he utilizing Gabby as a striker at last, he's a constant threat when he's up front but apart from his work rate he offers little else in other positions, also he's stretching defenders to make space when Tekkers has the ball, something we haven't seen him do in a long time. I can only imagine all of these things are linked to Lambert's recent trip to Munich.

We've been a lot more adventurous going forward, it reminds me of the strong run at the end of Lambert's first season.

One thing that I can't get my head around is the way we deal with opposing wide men.

Lambert seems to like to play 1 v 1 with there wide man which means our fullbacks tends to be sitting ducks sometimes. The way the opposition used to stop Ashley Young for us was to double up on him.

We just don't seem to do it. It's as if Lambert is happy for the cross to come in and to deal with it. 

Really liking our new style of play, its quite refreshing. However, whenever we have a good portion of the ball sometimes we seem to struggle what to do with it.

Something we have struggled with for the last 5 years. Lambert either needs to give grealish a chance or buy a no 10 in January because Joe cole will play about 42 minutes this season with his injury trouble

Is that 14 x 3 minute appearances or 3 X 14?

Could be 2 x 21 or 21 x 2 of course.

The last few weeks have certainty been more watchable, we are certainly playing more football,and things are starting to become more enjoyable.

Whilst I agree injuries and - some -difficult fixtures have played a part in what we were seeing previously, there is a noticeable change of approach clear for all to see.

We are now trying to play football.

Quite what has brought about the change I don't know but I would rather be positive it has happened than negatively contemtemplate why it didn't happen a lot earlier (although I would love to hear his reasoning, as we can be sure what went before was a concious choice and what we have now is too).

Whilst we try this approach I for one will get fully behind him, win or lose.

Lambert joined Bayern Munich a couple of weeks ago to watch their training sessions and speak to Pep Guardiola. Could that possibly be the reason for the sudden change in style? They are famous for building from the back and keeping possession after all. Maybe Pep has given him some pointers and told Paul to stay away from the hoof ball. The difference the last couple of weeks has been quite drastic, playing diagonal balls, keeping it mostly on the floor, putting proper crosses in. Plus he utilizing Gabby as a striker at last, he's a constant threat when he's up front but apart from his work rate he offers little else in other positions, also he's stretching defenders to make space when Tekkers has the ball, something we haven't seen him do in a long time. I can only imagine all of these things are linked to Lambert's recent trip to Munich.

To be honest, I doubt all takes to implement a title-winning philosophy is to go and watch a couple of training sessions. Stevo's thoughts are probably closer to the mark.

I see where you're coming from Darren, but the difference between West Ham and the Villa of late, is that we clearly have changed part of our philosophy. We're building from the back and appear to be hoofing it long a bit less.

• Like 2

I see where you're coming from Darren, but the difference between West Ham and the Villa of late, is that we clearly have changed part of our philosophy. We're building from the back and appear to be hoofing it long a bit less.

But that is linked to the players available.

Benteke being back really does change everything. Just in simple terms, his presence changes the behaviour of not only our opponents but that of our players.

His very presence on the pitch gives the players more confidence you can see that whenever he is in or out of the side. But more than that he gives them a different type of option because he can play with his back to goal, hold the ball up and allow other players to get forward in a way Gabby and Weimann simply can't or don't do.

There is little point playing slow build up play to Gabby and Weimann because neither are much good bringing others into play or playing with their backs to goal, they are at the best playing high tempo and running at people or getting behind them.

I really don't think the absence or presence of Benteke should be underestimated in the way we play.

Benteke being back really does change everything. Just in simple terms, his presence changes the behaviour of not only our opponents but that of our players.

His very presence on the pitch gives the players more confidence you can see that whenever he is in or out of the side. But more than that he gives them a different type of option because he can play with his back to goal, hold the ball up and allow other players to get forward in a way Gabby and Weimann simply can't or don't do.

There is little point playing slow build up play to Gabby and Weimann because neither are much good bringing others into play or playing with their backs to goal, they are at the best playing high tempo and running at people or getting behind them.

I really don't think the absence or presence of Benteke should be underestimated in the way we play.

We were playing hoof ball last season to Benteke.

In your opinion. It's not one I agree with.

I'm surprised how the tone has changed so much so quickly on here. We as fans really look at the short term and it really is about the last game (last few games) about how we judge the manager. A few bad results and we want him out, a few good results and he's changed his philosophy and finally getting it.

• Like 1

In your opinion. It's not one I agree with.

Statistics showed we played more long balls than nearly every other team.

The football we've played the last few weeks is clearly different than last season and the players have admitted its something they've only recently worked on.

Ignore it if you want but the facts show its true.

• Like 3

I'm surprised how the tone has changed so much so quickly on here. We as fans really look at the short term and it really is about the last game (last few games) about how we judge the manager. A few bad results and we want him out, a few good results and he's changed his philosophy and finally getting it.

Not sure people have changed their overall opinion of him but he's going to get credit if things improve and they have done.

We've still only won 2 games from the last 13 played but things seem to be moving in the right direction .

• Like 2

Not sure people have changed their overall opinion of him but he's going to get credit if things improve and they have done.

We've still only won 2 games from the last 13 played but things seem to be moving in the right direction .

We've also only lost once in the last seven. Depends how you spin the facts.

First time we've seen Guzan/vlaar/Okore/Delph/benteke in the same full game since Chelsea last season? If, and it's a huge if, we can keep them next season I'd say things are looking up

The only way I can see them staying, is if Lambert asks for next season's transfer budget now, to strengthen the squad around the players we currently have, in an attempt to show Vlaar, Delph and Benteke that we're not just asking to survive next/this season.
  • Like 1

We've also only lost once in the last seven. Depends how you spin the facts.

Not trying to spin the facts. Our lack of wins is still a concern for me and I've said things are improving and moving in the right direction.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â