Paul Lambert

limpid

I think its been a deliberate shift towards defence this season as a result of us having a terrible defence the past couple of seasons.

What Lambert will need to prove is that he can now build from the back and add some of that attack back into our play without sacrificing our defence again.

I genuinely cant say whether he'll manage that or not

• Like 4

Regarding the post which states Lambert is in no way to blame. He doesn't control budgets, Lerner, as you can see from the Lerner thread, gets full blame for that.

But what about tactics?

Is Lerner to blame for the lack of control from our team?

The inability to pass the ball?

Setting up to defend?

Tactical choices, for example, long ball against teams with huge defenders?

Counter attacking a team sitting deep?

Defensive issues?

'All over the place' tactics, when there is no idea who is playing where.

For picking out of form players, even when other choices are available.

Can any of you tell me what role Lerner plays with this, in the dressing room and on the training pitch? If he is 100% to blame, what does he do in training to force this?

• Like 3

I think its been a deliberate shift towards defence this season as a result of us having a terrible defence the past couple of seasons.

What Lambert will need to prove is that he can now build from the back and add some of that attack back into our play without sacrificing our defence again.

I can understand your logic of what Lambert might be doing.

However I would question whether it is working when we have conceded more than at the same stage last season (scoring half as many in the process)

• Like 1

Im surprised people have anything new to add to this thread. 

It has similarities to my Ex-Mrs… Gets more and more full of shite as time goes by!

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

Im surprised people have anything new to add to this thread. 

It has similarities to my Ex-Mrs… Gets more and more full of shite as time goes by!

It has become a very pointless thread, two sets of people quoting different stats and figures to serve their own arguments and a few balanced voices lost in the endless bickering and points scoring.

Some are so eager to see us succeed under Lambert they would defend him even if we were relegated, others made their mind up a long time ago and are unwilling to acknowledge any positives however small they are and are perhaps unrealistic (i'm the latter by the way).

We'll never know how good Lambert was/is until he's gone and we have a new manager with the same budget and players to see how they do by comparison.

Or unless Lambert is given a significantly bigger transfer/wage kitty to try and make a difference (potentially meaning a new owner).

One thing I would add is that the playing field changes so often with our club, Lambert must not know whether he is coming or going. Our assistant manager/coaching staff, players fit, available or moving on, transfer budget, money for wages, decisions around ownership all keep changing every season (or few months). There is so little stability at Villa.

• Like 1

I can understand your logic of what Lambert might be doing.

However I would question whether it is working when we have conceded more than at the same stage last season (scoring half as many in the process)

Yep that's a fair point. 

It seems our defence this season is better against the smaller/average teams. That run of tough fixtures killed our goals against column.

Regarding the post which states Lambert is in no way to blame. He doesn't control budgets, Lerner, as you can see from the Lerner thread, gets full blame for that.

But what about tactics?

Is Lerner to blame for the lack of control from our team?

The inability to pass the ball?

Setting up to defend?

Tactical choices, for example, long ball against teams with huge defenders?

Counter attacking a team sitting deep?

Defensive issues?

'All over the place' tactics, when there is no idea who is playing where.

For picking out of form players, even when other choices are available.

Can any of you tell me what role Lerner plays with this, in the dressing room and on the training pitch? If he is 100% to blame, what does he do in training to force this?

He hires and fires the manager.

How very true!

On a serious note with that. As much as I don't like the direction of the team on the pitch right now. If I had to choose to get rid of the manager or the owner (I couldn't choose both), I would choose the chairman each time.

In my eyes he is now as bad as Doug. Relegation would see him surpass Doug.

I never thought I would see the day when a chairman is as bad as Ellis. Especially the one following.

Bad days.

How very true!

On a serious note with that. As much as I don't like the direction of the team on the pitch right now. If I had to choose to get rid of the manager or the owner (I couldn't choose both), I would choose the chairman each time.

I never thought I would see the day when a chairman is as bad as Ellis. Especially the one following.

Bad days.

Yep, Pretty much summed up my stance on it as well.

• Like 1

How very true!

Bad days.

Lerner goes...Lambert will...simple.

I think he either doesn't believe the team can attack and work hard enough to soak up a counter.

Maybe we have been burned too many times when he goes all out and has reverted to a very defensive mentality.

I think he needs to give is a real push tomorrow.

My last game was west brom at home when we went 1-0 down and we blew I them away with three beauties before half time.

Great Delph goal.

I think he either doesn't believe the team can attack and work hard enough to soak up a counter.

Maybe we have been burned too many times when he goes all out and has reverted to a very defensive mentality.

I think he needs to give is a real push tomorrow.

My last game was west brom at home when we went 1-0 down and we blew I them away with three beauties before half time.

Great Delph goal.

Is victory tomorrow the be all and end all? As in no matter how we play or try to as long as we win Lambert is doing great? For me I've always thought we will stay up my biggest bone of contention is the tripe that gets served up. Now after 2 1/2 years I think we need more than just scraping results Lambert needs to have his team playing in his style and unfortunately I think the only style he knows is counter attacking. I hope I'm wrong I'd love nothing more than to see us dominate games and win with a bit of flair. They'll be games to sit deep but they should be the exception rather than the rule. Lambert needs us to win tomorrow but now I think he needs more than that to have a chance of turning fans around it'll be interesting to see the reaction of the players when we take the lead and whether they'll return to type and sit deep.

• Like 1

Is victory tomorrow the be all and end all? As in no matter how we play or try to as long as we win Lambert is doing great? For me I've always thought we will stay up my biggest bone of contention is the tripe that gets served up. Now after 2 1/2 years I think we need more than just scraping results Lambert needs to have his team playing in his style and unfortunately I think the only style he knows is counter attacking. I hope I'm wrong I'd love nothing more than to see us dominate games and win with a bit of flair. They'll be games to sit deep but they should be the exception rather than the rule. Lambert needs us to win tomorrow but now I think he needs more than that to have a chance of turning fans around it'll be interesting to see the reaction of the players when we take the lead and whether they'll return to type and sit deep.

I agree with this.

Across Lambert's last 38 league games as our manager (ignoring our cup exits to Sheffield United and Leyton Orient) we have accumulated 35 league points. In those 38 games there have only been two occasions when we have won the game by more than a 1 goal margin (Norwich 4-1 and Hull 3-1 when they had half an eye on the FA cup Final).

At this stage of Lambert's tenure surely it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect more commanding performances and some comfortable victories on a more regular basis than we get currently.

You can't kid the fans hence why attendances have dropped alarmingly.

• Like 1

Â