Paul Lambert

limpid

we have just came off playing top 5 from last season who have all spent over 25 million for a player in the summer compared to our biggest transfer fee. think context is needed. Games like QPR is what our season gets decided on

If said you can have 3 points from them 5 games, people would have bit your hand off

So based on that a lower league team has no chance of beating the Villa,i mean Bradford Sheffield utd and Leyton Orient all came to the Villa thinking they could win,we play against big teams hoping we can draw.Theirs nothing wrong in the 'smaller" teams beating the big ones.

• Like 3

I would say he is one of the managers under the least amount of pressure in the league at the moment

I disagree. A lot of fans are furious after last season and with this season's 4 goals, 12 shots on target, 4 defeats on the bounce and arguably no progress (to me we look even worse!) he is under pressure all right.

A few more defeats in a row and fans could really turn against him big time .

Yes the pressure will probably come from the fans (first) but if we continue to lose say our next 4 matches then even Randy might wake up and start doing his job properly and sack him (alternatively he'll just let us continue to be crap).

we have just came off playing top 5 from last season who have all spent over 25 million for a player in the summer compared to our biggest transfer fee. think context is needed. Games like QPR is what our season gets decided on

If said you can have 3 points from them 5 games, people would have bit your hand off

So based on that a lower league team has no chance of beating the Villa,i mean Bradford Sheffield utd and Leyton Orient all came to the Villa thinking they could win,we play against big teams hoping we can draw.Theirs nothing wrong in the 'smaller" teams beating the big ones.

This argument gets wheeled out time and time again but it's simply not the same. As disgraceful as those defeats were there's a difference between one-off cup ties and a 38 game league season.

In context, that Everton defeat was the worst so far because we really were bad, it was painful to watch cus their was no effort or intent from all but 2 players

In the arsenal defeat we were well in the game until we had a mental 3 minutes, Chelsea we were undone by the league champions in waiting and didn't disgrace ourself and was unlucky with deflections leading to goals, man city we were worth a point until we let toure pick he's spot to score.

I would say he is one of the managers under the least amount of pressure in the league at the moment

I disagree. A lot of fans are furious after last season and with this season's 4 goals, 12 shots on target, 4 defeats on the bounce and arguably no progress (to me we look even worse!) he is under pressure all right.

A few more defeats in a row and fans could really turn against him big time .

Yes the pressure will probably come from the fans (first) but if we continue to lose say our next 4 matches then even Randy might wake up and start doing his job properly and sack him (alternatively he'll just let us continue to be crap).

Unfortunately I think Lambert has the easiest job in the Premier League. He has an owner that doesn't care and he is under no pressure to improve us (this is proven by the fact that Lerner has just given him a four year contract on the back of 2 disastrous seasons).

Even SHA have finally come around to getting rid of their under performing manager but not us, we just have to suffer and suffer.

Edited by pacbuddies
  • Like 3

In context, that Everton defeat was the worst so far because we really were bad, it was painful to watch cus their was no effort or intent from all but 2 players

There aren't many games you can say it for but Everton - especially given their current defensive frailties - actually was an ideal match for Lambert's tactics. I expected a high-press, high energy and a genuine attempt to get numbers forward on the counter. Instead it was another game that could easily have been presided over by Alex McLeish.

Edited by Isa

There aren't many games you can say it for but Everton - especially given their current defensive frailties - actually was an ideal match for Lambert's tactics. I expected a high-press, high energy and a genuine attempt to get numbers forward on the counter. Instead it was another game that could easily have been presided over by Alex McLeish.

To be honest most games under Lambert remind me of the ones presided over by McLeish and the end result is no better (just missing relegation by the skin of our teeth).

• Like 3

That was why I said in context of the games we've lost the Everton game was the worst because it was such a gutless performance.

We've seen far to many of these over the last 3/4 seasons now. I'm fed up of watching us go out and within 10 minutes you know whats coming

• Like 2

To be honest most games under Lambert remind me of the ones presided over by McLeish and the end result is no better (just missing relegation by the skin of our teeth).

Ain't that the truth.

To clarify, by "Lambert's tactics" I referring to the occasions that he gets the positive counter-attack right, which hardly ever happens admittedly.

Ultimately he and McLeish are cut from the same retrograde cloth though. In hindsight, we probably wouldn't be any worse off now had we just stuck with the latter.

• Like 1

That was why I said in context of the games we've lost the Everton game was the worst because it was such a gutless performance.

We've seen far to many of these over the last 3/4 seasons now. I'm fed up of watching us go out and within 10 minutes you know whats coming

ST-1108.jpg

From the few people desperately holding on to some forlorn hope that Lambert will come good, despite the evidence of his failing time after time, we are seeing some very weak excuses when people show up reasons why they feel he is poor. Now we all know that Lerner is a lot to blame so lets not use that excuse, but please show where Lambert is actually improving any of the football at the club.

I had the misfortune to watch the match on TV in Spain on Saturday with other neutral football fans and they were amazed how poor we were. "No fight" "No idea" "nothing football" were a few of the often used comments, "have you not got any reserves who are better?" another. But Lambert has killed off any sort of alternatives by the looks of it, from quite a good reserve / youth setup we now seem to have one built in the style of one of the poorest managers ever to be inflicted on the club. 

But hey ho I am sure he and the few supporters that he still has within the fan base will no doubt trot out the same old excuses (plus a few new ones just to keep things interesting).

• Like 3

I'm starting to worry about the possession stats now myself. Mostly for reasons already stated; if we're going to see less of the ball we really need to make it count when we do get hold of it and right now we look completely toothless. There's no zip to our game.

I think we have some good players. But what has become apparent is the lack of anyone to play that incisive, instant final ball, or even the long raking pass out wide to start a counter. We are playing in a way that does not suit the midfield we have, the midfield he built. It's utterly soul destroying.

What's the answer? **** if I know. But I imagine patience is the key. Start knocking it around a bit more, less panic. Build confidence.

Or maybe Joe Cole...

It just simply comes down to Lambert in all his time signing about 20 players and not one of them is a forward thinking creative midfielder. Well Joe Cole was but 5 years past his prime.

I think it's Grealish's time coming up really. Yes he's unproven but with Benteke back now we at least have a forward of excellent intelligence who'll make good runs.

Says it all about Lambert's squad building that probably our most creative midfielder on our books is an 18 year old kid.

If Paul Lambert had of been in charge in the the O'Leary period he would have been gone in less than 3 years....he would not have lasted like he had with his nine lives.

We'd have probably got that if Astu, Besic and Hibbert were in the Everton line up as has been the case for them in recent weeks.

With Barkley, McCarthy and Coleman all back in for the first time in ages, Everton were back to being a top 6 standard team and the gulf between that and us is huge I'm sad to say.

If Paul Lambert had of been in charge in the the O'Leary period he would have been gone in less than 3 years....he would not have lasted like he had with his nine lives.

Yes he wouldn't have lasted under Doug. 

Football is dynamic...you are either attacking or defending...sounds bloody simple, it should be.

But if an attacker is not cutting the mustard, eventually he will be attacked.

That is where jack grealish is at the moment the defensive side of his game is not sufficient to play in this team, because he would be the only one attacking and he will be dispossessed

Right now it's buggers muddle.....not sure messi would make much difference....too many are not at it.

Edited by TRO

We'd have probably got that if Astu, Besic and Hibbert were in the Everton line up as has been the case for them in recent weeks.

With Barkley, McCarthy and Coleman all back in for the first time in ages, Everton were back to being a top 6 standard team and the gulf between that and us is huge I'm sad to say.

That is very significant....but they seem to come back from injury in a much more business like fashion.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â