Paul Lambert

limpid

I dread to imagine what will happen if we lose to QPR by another 2-0/3-0 scoreline, it is a scary possibility, especially if we show no effort and wave a white flag like we did on Saturday. Unacceptable no matter the contract length. 

I have seen nothing from QPR at either end to think they CAN'T win the game against us 2 or 3-0

fixed

we have just came off playing top 5 from last season who have all spent over 25 million for a player in the summer compared to our biggest transfer fee. think context is needed. Games like QPR is what our season gets decided on

If said you can have 3 points from them 5 games, people would have bit your hand off

Our opening 8 games last season were fairly similar and we are currently doing worse. I have highlighted in bold those teams that people consider to be 'top' teams.

Arsenal (Away)

Chelsea (Away)

Liverpool (Home)

Newcastle United (Home)

Norwich City (Away)

Manchester City (Home)

Hull City (Away)

Tottenham Hotspur (Home)

Edited by pacbuddies

we have just came off playing top 5 from last season who have all spent over 25 million for a player in the summer compared to our biggest transfer fee. think context is needed. Games like QPR is what our season gets decided on

If said you can have 3 points from them 5 games, people would have bit your hand off

Our opening 8 games last season were fairly similar and we are currently doing worse. I have highlighted in bold those teams that people consider to be 'top' teams.

Arsenal (Away)

Chelsea (Away)

Liverpool (Home)

Newcastle United (Home)

Norwich City (Away)

Manchester City (Home)

Hull City (Away)

Tottenham Hotspur (Home)

Yet compared to the actual corresponding fixtures from last season compared to this one we are 3 points better off.

• Like 1

Arsenal (Away)

Chelsea (Away)

Liverpool (Home)

Newcastle United (Home)

Norwich City (Away)

Manchester City (Home)

Hull City (Away)

Tottenham Hotspur (Home)

Yet compared to the actual corresponding fixtures from last season compared to this one we are 3 points better off.

Is it me or out of those fixtures we have only played Man City (h), Newcastle (h)  and Chelsea (a) so we are 2 points worse off

Trent's making the point that if you look at our results this season we're 3 points better off compared to those same fixtures last season. E.g. we lost to Stoke away last year but beat them this year, lost to Newcastle at home but drew this year etc.

My biggest worry is the stat that we have only had 12 shots on target so far this season. Half as many as any other team.

Surely the fact that we've only scored 4 goals is the more worrying stat?

Surely they're both linked and as bad as each other. We don't have Costa upfront so we are going to have to create plenty of chances to hit the target in order to score.

Trent's making the point that if you look at our results this season we're 3 points better off compared to those same fixtures last season. E.g. we lost to Stoke away last year but beat them this year, lost to Newcastle at home but drew this year etc.

ok fair enough my apologies. 

Arsenal (Away)

Chelsea (Away)

Liverpool (Home)

Newcastle United (Home)

Norwich City (Away)

Manchester City (Home)

Hull City (Away)

Tottenham Hotspur (Home)

That doesn't take into account anywhere near enough variables. I think it's about as useful a guide as that 4 games/0 goals first time in a decade stat, as in not very. 

You could also argue that beating Arsenal and Man City last season is much more impressive than Stoke and a draw with about the worst Newcastle side I've seen in some 20 years. Could argue, but that would also be a bit naive IMO. 

• Like 2

I seem to remember corresponding fixture tallies going a bit out of fashion towards the end of last season. You know...once they stopped suiting the pro-Lambert narrative and all that.

• Like 4

My biggest worry is the stat that we have only had 12 shots on target so far this season. Half as many as any other team.

Surely they're both linked and as bad as each other. We don't have Costa upfront so we are going to have to create plenty of chances to hit the target in order to score.

There is a link as statistically you're more likely to score more if you have more shots on target but I fail to see how having a very low number of shots on target can be seen as anywhere near as bad as having a very low number of goals scored?

I seem to remember corresponding fixture tallies going a bit out of fashion towards the end of last season. You know...once they stopped suiting the pro-Lambert narrative and all that.

Likewise the focus on points went a bit out of fashion, especially at the beginning of the season, because they didn't fit the anti-Lambert narrative.

Edited by Mantis

The point I was trying to make (and obviously failed) was that our opening 8 fixtures this season are not really much different to our opening 8 fixtures last season in terms of difficulty of opposition yet we are worse off and therefore it is difficult to see where any progress has been made.

Spin it out as you see fit though if it helps make things look better.

Likewise the focus on points went a bit out of fashion, especially at the beginning of the season, because they didn't fit the anti-Lambert narrative.

What you seem to be missing is that the points comparison was based on a full-season rather than a couple of results.

What you seem to be missing is that the points comparison was based on a full-season rather than a couple of results.

My general point was that certain stats or aspects of the club fall in and out of fashion depending on how bad they make Lambert look.

They're both very worrying. If you have a negative manager not getting the most out of a squad of players neither is a surprise though.

We must be the only team in the league whose fans don't expect to give the top 5/6 teams a game.

No, I expect it. However, there are some that accept it.

I can accept losing if we give them a game, I cannot accept it when we roll over. What now makes this worse is Everton have now joined that list of teams, who next?

Have to say I haven't seen anyone here expecting not to give the top 5/6 games a game. I think there's a difference between that and not being surprised when we're outclassed by a far superior team.

Maybe it is apathy.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â