Paul Lambert

limpid

It is all good having possession, but the trick is to do something with it and make it count. For me all that matters are results. For me we could play 10-0-0 and score from a corner in the first minute - as long as we win. I just want us to win stuff.

Possession is very over rated.  Atletico Madrid won the Spanish league last year and they were 11th in the league with regards possession stats.  IMO they were also the best team to watch last year in that league.

• Like 1

What were their passing stats like? I don't have an issue with how we play, my issue is how easily we give the ball away, how static some players are and how we sometimes have no patience. Counter is fine, but it doesn't work when a team at the bottom come to defend! Then we need patience and good ball play - something that lets us down.

Edited by dodgyknees

i agree possession and passing stats can be misleading, you can probably use any stats to distort anything you want really.

73% possession and 400 passes is pretty useless if both are in your own defensive half rather than the other team's attacking third.

but the fact we presently can't seem to manage more than one or two shots on target per game is the most worrying stat for me, the only way you can win is to score goals. But hopefully now we have everyone available Lambert can play the team and way he wants to.

i agree possession and passing stats can be misleading, you can probably use any stats to distort anything you want really.

73% possession and 400 passes is pretty useless if both are in your own defensive half rather than the other team's attacking third.

but the fact we presently can't seem to manage more than one or two shots on target per game is the most worrying stat for me, the only way you can win is to score goals. But hopefully now we have everyone available Lambert can play the team and way he wants to.

That's my biggest issue, I don't care about possession and passes but I am concerned that our shots per game on target is incredibly low.  Having Benteke back will show if that's because of our other strikers are shooting enough or not good enough or now Benteke is back(ish) that our supply to the strikers is not good enough.  It's probably a bit of both but one is fixed while Benteke is not injured but the other about supply goes back to last season about creativity in the team

What were their passing stats like? I don't have an issue with how we play, my issue is how easily we give the ball away, how static some players are and how we sometimes have no patience. Counter is fine, but it doesn't work when a team at the bottom come to defend! Then we need patience and good ball play - something that lets us down.

That I think is fair comment.

Not everything is black and white. Just because most clubs don't have limitless funds doesn't mean most other clubs have faced spending restrictions quite as tight as Lambert has here.

So.... that means he doesn't have to make do, doesn't have to try and improve the squad he already has and can't possibly try to implement a better style? I wonder what financial amount you think we need before he becomes responsible?

No manager can plan for transfer budgets or wages as these things are outside their control - tight restrictions or not. You have to plan with what you have and using the former as an excuse means you are only ever treading water till something outside your control changes. Or, in other words, you aren't managing anything.

The constant excuse of financial restrictions doesn't wash with me. I'm not expecting miracles - just signs of improvement, of an actual plan in place. I remain in serious doubt that Lambert can or will ever do different than what we currently see.

Roberto Martinez is one of the most pragmatic managers in the Premier League.  Pretty much started the "Swansea revolution" (to which they've stuck) and has Everton playing some great football - better even than when Moyes was there.  He implemented that same style, slowly but surely, at Wigan Athletic and got some quite stunning results when playing, essentially, a 3-4-3 formation against Man Utd, Arsenal, etc. etc.  However, ultimately, Wigan spent **** all and had a squad that was incredibly short on quality.  They tried to play entertaining football, and most likely succeeded (even won a cup!) but, with not much investment and a poor squad, they came unstuck and got relegated.

You can see financial restrictions as "an excuse" if you want, but it's a huge limitation in a Premier League where Hull City can fork out £16m on a strike force.  Pretty football doesn't get you out of a mess - and Martinez is definitely one of the best for it.

Edited by bobzy

There's no denying the financial restrictions but then I also think most bottom half teams would love guzan, hutton, vlaar, cissokho, delph, Westwood, cleverly, gabby, benteke, nzogbia and grealish in their squad.

I'm sure they would, only Lambert didn't have Cissokho, Cleverley, Benteke (most), N'Zogbia or Grealish in his squad last season.

As for this season, well we've not been bottom half really so far so I'd say he is doing okay.

There's no denying the financial restrictions but then I also think most bottom half teams would love guzan, hutton, vlaar, cissokho, delph, Westwood, cleverly, gabby, benteke, nzogbia and grealish in their squad.

Some debatable calls but, in their squads, more likely than not.

Also shows that Lambert is good in the transfer market?

I'm sure they would, only Lambert didn't have Cissokho, Cleverley, Benteke (most), N'Zogbia or Grealish in his squad last season.

As for this season, well we've not been bottom half really so far so I'd say he is doing okay.

Yes my point is for this season. I wasn't criticising I was just pointing out his situation is better than it has been previous years.

Some debatable calls but, in their squads, more likely than not.

Also shows that Lambert is good in the transfer market?

Shows he's made some decent buys and inherited some decent players.

Not everything is black and white. Just because most clubs don't have limitless funds doesn't mean most other clubs have faced spending restrictions quite as tight as Lambert has here.

So.... that means he doesn't have to make do, doesn't have to try and improve the squad he already has and can't possibly try to implement a better style? I wonder what financial amount you think we need before he becomes responsible?

No manager can plan for transfer budgets or wages as these things are outside their control - tight restrictions or not. You have to plan with what you have and using the former as an excuse means you are only ever treading water till something outside your control changes. Or, in other words, you aren't managing anything.

The constant excuse of financial restrictions doesn't wash with me. I'm not expecting miracles - just signs of improvement, of an actual plan in place. I remain in serious doubt that Lambert can or will ever do different than what we currently see.

I never said that, I and others are just pointing out the reasons why it may be difficult to improve the style with such limited funds. I think it's pretty obvious that the squad has improved over the last couple of years - we've gone from a midfield of El Ahmadi, Bannan, Ireland, Delph, Herd and Holman to Delph, Westwood, Cleverley and Sanchez.

It's not an "excuse", it's an explanation.

It's like some people think that there can't be mitigating factors.

What are the mitigating factors for not being able to do basic ball retention?

you can probably use any stats to distort anything you want really.

This ^^^. Football isn't a statistical game like cricket or NFL. It's baffling how many people fail to under this. There isn't any statistic that means anything in football that I can think of off hand. Yet this doesn't stop sky and commentators everywhere spouting moronic statistics like the head to head performances for the last 12 years or the possession in the last five minutes. As stated above its not the % possession we have in games that's the problem, it's that we continually give the ball back to the opposition in good areas for them and that when we are under pressure we cant keep the ball for a few minutes to take the sting out of the game.

Edited by villa89

you can probably use any stats to distort anything you want really.

This ^^^. Football isn't a statistical game like cricket or NFL. It's baffling how many people fail to under this. There isn't any statistic that means anything in football that I can think of off hand. Yet this doesn't stop sky and commentators everywhere spouting moronic statistics like the head to head performances for the last 12 years or the possession in the last five minutes. As stated above its not the % possession we have in games that's the problem, it's that we continually give the ball back to the opposition in good areas for them and that when we are under pressure we cant keep the ball for a few minutes to take the sting out of the game.

I thought that's what the majority of people are saying the problem is. The possession stat just backs up the fact we are unable to keep the ball for any sort of prolonged period. I personally don't care for stats much either but I can understand why people would point to them.

In one off games stats can be useless. Over a longer period they will show patterns that affect results. For example we have the lowest shots on target in the league. If this goes on we will continue to drop points. Only so many times you can get the goal you need from one or two attempts.

nail.gif

• Like 1

How can a team consisting of nzogbia, cleverley Westwood & now Benteke be so shit with possession every single game.

35% 1st half possession vs Everton who I know like to keep the ball but come on something is seriously wrong with the way lambert sets us up and to think we have 4 more years on this inept bumbling fool.

I do wonder what tom fox really thinks of lambert and how the hell he is going to try and sell us as a brand with such pitiful performances and tatics.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â